Trop rock

TIMKEYS

• Members

I can listen to just about any style of music. To me if I were in that area of the Gulf coast I would probably seek out some of the better bands in the area. For me it's regional type music... but for others it's a lifestyle. I have friends that live in Ohio and are big Parrotheads. They are both in their early 50's and retired (postal service). Definitely a generational/age gap for me. They spend the entire months of January-Feb in the Florida keys. So they get to soak in that sun and lifestyle for a month or two every year and bring the music home with them. For me if I hear it on a vacation and it's in the background. Good stuff just not my cup of tea. The accordion is the only thing that interests me as it must be hard to find players.

As for the guy in the video... the only thing that doesn't sell me (aside from the poorly produced video) is his age/voice. Most storytellers are grey and bearded. This guy looks like he's 18 and sounds like he's twelve (I see he's 22). I don't know much about the lifestyle or music but the 'buy in' for me is that this guy has lived alot and has a story to tell. I don't hear a single grit of whiskey in his voice. So clean it's sounds like Christian inspirational music... not good times and kicking back. I listened to a few other songs on his website and I think he has more promise in the straight up country track... but I agree with Blue Strat, his voice is pitched higher than the usual drawl.

I'm am not an expert on the music... I'm just giving my opinion as a listener.

for sure trop is a lifestyle type music. For me that is the intrigue of it. It allows one to hang out on a hunk of sand where the weather is nice and play or write music ,, and that music gets distrubuted by the fans to other parts of the country.

We are starting to see the winter people slowly start to return to the island. Their first stop... Back to the bar where they are welcomed like family. The first thing out of their mouth,, when is the new CD going to be out. Trop and country is kind of joined at the hip as far as genre especially in texas

• Members

Ya see... the last thing on my mind is the kid. I'm thinking of Crustee and how that insecurity most weigh heavy at times. I'm serious. I listened to Crustee's stuff and I listen to the video. I'm no Trop Rock kind of guy but "the kid" had something. You just have to wonder about the motivation of:

"wow. that was pure {censored}."

wow, that was pathetic.

Lee, I don't know man, I love your bit, but c'mon...Maybe Crustee's band ain't great or whatever - doesn't mean he can't have a strong opinion about someone else's music. Is it better to come up with a clever, underhanded insult? Or must we only criticize in constructive terms? I usually welcome strong opinions, of mine and others' music because of the emotional connection that so many of us feel about music. I guess it's that same connection that makes harsh opinions like mine seem like personal attacks. I just don't see it that way. The kid may be a great, downhome person...could also be a total prick. The only things we're judging are that song and 3/4 effort on the video (much like the bottle of beer that slides to his hand in the beginning). I'm sure the kid will do well, and plenty of people will like his stuff. And this is not a personal attack on those fans, but I don't like the song, video or the genre.

• Members

The fact that there were some nice boobs in the video made up for the bass player wearing shorts IMO.

Its hot down here in the summer. Its always in the mid to high 80s till closing time. High 90s in the daytime. Bands were shorts that work the beach bars. Its the uniform as much as jeans and boots are the uniform for country bands in your area lol.

• Members

What a pathetic thing to say. Your false bravado of course inspired me to check out
your stuff...
Weird. All I hear is bad cover renditions with not a single ounce of creativity and barely hanging on musicianship. Nice buzzing bee guitar tone. I'm sure the drunk divorcees are digging your coolness. You guys rock. Whiskey Train? That name is COOL! Dorkus Maximus.

fun, isn't it?

hmmm....

I'm guessing either:

A) you're a relative of that kid

or...

B) I've said something in another thread at some point to insult you.

rofl.gif

either way, feel free to {censored} off.

:wave:

P.S. The recordings on the WT site are not me, so find another insult to use.

• Moderators
hmmm....

I'm guessing either:

A) you're a relative of that kid

or...

B) I've said something in another thread at some point to insult you.

rofl.gif

either way, feel free to {censored} off.

P.S. The recordings on the WT site are not me, so find another insult to use.

Neither.

I just am rolling along listening to a video and someone says, "This is {censored}". That's lame and a sign of your insecurity. Did you enjoy it when I was slamming your band? Even if it wasn't you? Why don't you post some of yours so I can slam it. Or do we just slam musicians that don't post here? Is that the MO? Safe and cowardly?

People throw slams around like they're picking their nose in the car. I can see you. Have some respect. That guy in the video is a real dude who works hard. I don't know him. I don't know you. But you're not making yourself look cool by slamming. It's Jr. High. I am tired of this {censored} around here.

"The recordings on the WT site are not me" - I don't care.

I'll {censored} off.

• Members

Ya see... the last thing on my mind is the kid. I'm thinking of Crustee and how that insecurity most weigh heavy at times. I'm serious. I listened to Crustee's stuff and I listen to the video. I'm no Trop Rock kind of guy but
"the kid" had something
. You just have to wonder about the motivation of:

"wow. that was pure {censored}."

wow. that was pathetic.

exactly

• Members

Back on the topic of Trop Rock, Jim Morris writes some good stuff out of Key West. Definitely derivative of Buffett, but there's also a lot of storytelling going on...

I will have to check him out. One of the things that alot of people dont realize about the trop rock thing is that most of these guys are also songwriters as well as cover artists. The story telling seems to be a big part of the genre as well.

• Members

Neither.

I just am rolling along listening to a video and someone says, "This is {censored}".
That's
lame and a sign of your insecurity. Did you enjoy it when I was slamming your band? Even if it wasn't you? Why don't you post some of yours so I can slam it. Or do we just slam musicians that don't post here? Is that the MO? Safe and cowardly?

People throw slams around like they're picking their nose in the car. I can
see
you. Have some respect. That guy in the video is a real dude who works hard. I don't know him. I don't know you. But you're not making yourself look cool by slamming. It's Jr. High. I am tired of this {censored} around here.

"
The recordings on the WT site are not me"
- I don't care.

I'll {censored} off.

I think the song is {censored}. It's my opinion, nothing more. It won't affect him either way, and I'll speak my mind whenever I wish, as I would expect from you.

• Members

Jack Johnson is more "surfer rock" if such a distinction can be made, but I like his stuff a LOT better.

If we are talkin about the same guy ,, I looked him up and it seemed more Reggae. surf rock to me is more fender tube reverb lead guitar driven. If you like surf check out the grease balls. I buddy of mines brother recorded some surf stuff under that name. Both played in the electras a 60s band out of MN.

http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/album/The-Greaseballs-Wake-Up-And-Smell-The-Greasballs-MP3-Download/11008395.html

• Moderators
I think the song is {censored}. It's my opinion, nothing more. It won't affect him either way, and I'll speak my mind whenever I wish, as I would expect from you.

Nobody questioned your right to speak your mind. You can do what ever you want. I can crap my pants if I want to. I choose not to.

• Members

If we are talkin about the same guy ,, I looked him up and it seemed more Reggae. surf rock to me is more fender tube reverb lead guitar driven.

Yeah, Dick Dale would be your classic surf rock guitar player. But Jack Johnson originally started out as a film maker, making surf films in Hawaii. He needed soundtrack music for them, wrote a few tunes, and BAM, he was turned Upside Down!

• Members

Yeah, Dick Dale would be your classic surf rock guitar player. But Jack Johnson originally started out as a film maker, making surf films in Hawaii. He needed soundtrack music for them, wrote a few tunes, and BAM, he was turned Upside Down!

We had to do a jack johnson as one of the special songs for a wedding we played this summer. Thats what kinda threw me when you said he did surf stuff. The only surf music I have ever played was with my first band back in the 60s ,, ventures was pretty well on all the set lists back then ,, but they soon dropped off along with the chuck berry stuff

• Members

Like any style of music, there's some good and some not so much.

Growing up in a town near the coast, I got my fill of it early on, so it's generally not music I go looking for. Of all I've heard, the guy who's material I always liked (and still listen to occasionally) is Michael McCloud. http://www.michaelmccloud.com/ A buddy picked up a couple of his CDs when he was in Key West and gave me one; a collection called "Gretastits" :)

FWIW, I was playing "Toes" at a band gig at a nice venue on the intracoastal waterway two nights ago. Sometimes, it just fits.

• Members
Like any style of music, there's some good and some not so much.

Growing up in a town near the coast, I got my fill of it early on, so it's generally not music I go looking for. Of all I've heard, the guy who's material I always liked (and still listen to occasionally) is
Michael McCloud
http://www.michaelmccloud.com/
A buddy picked up a couple of his CDs when he was in Key West and gave me one; a collection called "Gretastits"
:)

FWIW, I was playing "Toes" at a band gig at a nice venue on the intracoastal waterway two nights ago. Sometimes, it just fits.

I checked him out ,,, good stuff

Archived