About regular rehearsals

etcetra

• Members

So I've been playing with this band for almost an year now, and recently there was some talk about actually having a regular weekly rehearsals, and I guess I am having disagreements with the other member about it. While I do enjoy playing with these guys and I think it's great to be able to rehearse more and experiment with stuff, the problem is that we are not really gigging that much as a group. In fact, the last gig we had was at Halloween and the next gig we have is on new years. That's almost 2 months of no gigs.

I told them that from my experience doing regular rehearsals for extended amount of time with no gigging isn't a good idea, because it's easy to lose sense of direction and, you start to feel like "so what are we really rehearsing for?" I understand the band leader wants to take gigs that pay well enough to make it worthwhile and make what we deserve, and he works very hard to promote the band.. but I suggested to them that since we aren't playing much, we might as well take some lower paying gig for fun for now, so that way we are playing&rehearsing for something.

I actually went through similar problem with another band, and I felt really stagnant about the band... But at one point we decided to just find more oppertunities to play.. and we've been pretty busy ever since. Sure some of the gigs don't pay that well, but we are playing regularly, and we are starting to get some really nice gigs too. IMO playing regularly gives you a sense of continuity as a band.

So basically I told them that I am not that into rehearsing regularly unless we can do something about how frequently we gig...At this point, I am willing to give it a shot, but if it turns out that we are playing once every month or two 6 months from now and doing regular rehearsals, then I don't really see the point in rehearsing.

So what do you guys think? I am sure everyone's different about this.. I guess my biggest concern is that I've joined a lot of bands that rehearsed a lot and ended up not doing a whole lot.. and the older I get the more I feel less enthusiastic about doing that, especially since I am getting more money gigs and is somewhat preoccupied with them at the moment. Ultimately it's a time investment, and it's about putting the effort in hopes that this band will be somewhat successful. I do enjoy playing the music we're playing with the band, but I am aware of the fact that what I enjoy or musician enjoy doesn't necessary translates to commercial success.

• Members

If there aren't that many gigs coming up, there is little incentive to practice. Money and stage time are strong motivating factors. If neither of these are present, it's tough to motivate people to get good and tight as a band.

Which is why I'm puzzled about my own band. We are getting popular, we played a LOT of gigs in October and now we're just sort of in the mindset of not practicing. My band started out with us not rehearsing at all, then when we got a new bassist/vocalist, we rehearsed a lot of HER songs (and a few of mine), and now...well, we're back to not rehearsing. I've tried to get us back into it, but the other three would rather just "work it out onstage" (i.e. play half-assed). At the Halloween gig we did a few weeks ago, at the end of the night, we just banged out a few songs for the heck of it. A couple of them didn't sound too bad, but the other two had some major flubs. I thought it sounded like crap, but I'm apparently over-ruled here. Since everyone in the band is obviously busy and the consensus appears to be a big no to regular practice (I keep getting excuses or worse, no reply at all), I'm simply going to comply and concentrate on my own side band where that band *will* practice. I'll keep both groups, but I'm not going to try to drag everyone somewhere they don't want to go.

I know the difference between a band that just shows up and plays and one that is super-tight and keeps learning new songs. The latter band is the one that rakes in the dough and is booked a LOT. I guess the other bandmembers would rather settle for "good enough" :D I just hope the gigs don't start drying up too...

• Members

I have found a lot of "musicians" don't really play/practice much on their own so if they aren't practicing with a band they aren't touching their instrument. These types seem to want to rehearse more often for no reason. Not saying the rest of your band is this way, but it's possible.

I rarely practice, but I always play. I wouldn't want to rehearse for no reason with a band I have been playing most of the same songs with for a year either. I'd rather use the time to play stuff on my own. I agree with you.

• Members

to me it kinda depends on what type of image you want upon yourself when you do play out. Ive been with a group that played 2-3 times a month and never practiced and was very tight. Others not so much. Well rehearsed groups will be tighter on stage and make less mistakes............I guess it all depends on how each of your bandmembers mindset is. Thats why its so hard to get in a good group these days.......not everyone is on the same page......if its just a fun hobby, dont practice. If you are wanting to make a name for yourselves, work hard at it.

• Members

Different people need different amounts of practice. A couple of the guys in my band need weekly practice to stay tight. It's a source of frustration for me, because I can learn songs and play them correctly the first time, because I put in a lot of work at home. Too many rehearsals, as such, tend to make me less enthusiastic. I'd rather play weekly and rehearse once per month with everyone having the songs down and ready to go. In fact, when we get into the weekly rehearsal thing, I find I practice less at home, and it's counterproductive for me as a musician.

• Members

It seems to me this is a difference in expecations and need. What expecation was set out when the band was formed? Has that or can that change?

Why are you rehearsing, to keep fresh, learn new tunes, tighten your show, because you think you 'have to because that's what good bands do"? Do some members need more rehearsal than others? (I am usually in the need more rehearsal category...LOL) .

It sounds like either your don't need to rehearse (you're good, or you don't care, or you get your musical jones from other projects) or don't care to rehearse (time constraints, interest, results sufficient for the need).

My only thought is any band I was in that died, the first thing we did wrong was stop regular practice, even if it was just before the gig, or once a month. But that is me.

What's a good compromise to meet everyones needs? Not what is perfect, but what can you all live with? If you know what your gig dates are, can you schedule 2 or 3 practices BEFORE a gig date, and if you don't have a gig, don't practice?

This would NOT keep me happy, but maybe it would work for your band? Cheers!

• Members

Over the years, I've been in bands that tried to practice too much that it ended up destroying the band. I've also been in bands that virtually never practiced - and that ended up killing the band. Personally, I think that a band needs to consistently play once a week if it wants to stay sharp and to grow. Playing may be a rehearsal - or it may be a gig. Any band that I've ever been in that didn't play pretty much weekly was pretty much in "milkin' it" mode. Sure, we'd get together once or twice before a gig and dust off the ol' playlist - and would go knock out a pretty decent show. However, we weren't learning new material ... and we weren't anywhere near as tight as a group as we could have been (given the talent in the line-up). Every now and then we'd find ourselves with several gigs scheduled close together - and always came away pleasantly surprised at the difference that 3-4 gigs in a two weekend stretch made in terms of group tightness.

Like many things in life - music is one of those things where you're either moving forward - or you're moving backwards. It's simply not possible to "stand still".

• Members

Everybody has a sweet spot that works for them. I've played in "jam" bands that never practiced (or rehearsed) at all. I've also been in bands that played very complex stuff that there was no way in hell to get through it cleanly on the 1st try, no matter how well everybody had their part down in advance. There's a whole continuum in between. Top outfits like the bands on Leno, Letterman, etc. play every day, rehearse every day, plus personal practice time, & the BL puts in a ton of work choosing songs, arranging, & writing out charts. It's just like a regular job for some people, but still a hobby to most.

• Members

Most players I've worked with and observed fall into one of these categories (and I'm sure there are others):

- Practice a lot on their own to improve over-all, which improves the sound of the band (or at least their part

- Never practice because "it's good enough" and (at best) inch forward in quality...if the band practices regularly

- Gig so much that maybe not much new is added, but they sound damn good

Not being in a band now I don't practice much at all. In the last band I was sure to have all my parts down, plus try to improve or enhance what I play; the others either didn't practice at all or minimally, which created problems.

• Members

I'm with the OP. That much practice without any gigs would drive me up the wall.

The band I'm in only schedules practices to work in new material. We gig 2 - 5 nights a month, and that's frequent enough to keep us tight. I've never asked the other guys about it, but I assume they practice on their instruments on their own time. I know I do, and we all have a comparable level of ability when we play.

We practice at my house, and two of the guys live a fair distance away. So when we do rehearse, we plan out in advance what we need to do and get it done with a minimum of time and effort. Everybody works up the material beforehand, and then it's just a matter of tightening harmonies, beginnings and endings, etc. We don't noodle or jam.

• Members

My band gets together pretty much every week, but there are times when it's just because we enjoy playing with one another. When there aren't many gigs on the horizon (I've already discussed here how I let the calendar empty up because I thought I'd have to put my picking hand in a cast), we work out new material, put time into our recording, plan promo material, etc. But we do it for fun. If I was trying to make a living at it, I'd be pissed if my group wanted me to get together for no reason. I'm frustrated with Meetings With No Purpose in my day job as it is.

• Members

When was the last time you did an unrehearsed improvisational solo at a drop in blues jam? I suspect Dave, if it's not rehearsed and tabbed out you couldn't play it. The more you talk, the more I am convinced you not even being close to legitimate.

:facepalm:

At a blues jam? I don't go to blues jams, so that's irrelevant and a bit of a strawman. But unrehearsed improvisation? Whenever the guys I play with and I get together we jam out for a bit just to stretch. I do at least one unrehearsed improvisational solo at every rehearsal and sound check.

The more you post, the more your real-music-world inexperience shines through.

And, FWIW, I've never used "tabs". I sometimes will read sheet music if it's a song we have to play somewhat on the fly---like a special request for a wedding, for example. The songs we regularly play and learn, I learn by ear. "Tabs" are for the kids just starting out and learning their instruments, IMO.

• Members

The more you talk, the more I am convinced you not even being close to legitimate.

Yeah, I remember you tried that line awhile back. Didn't work then, won't work now. But it seems to be part of your regular MO: whenever you get challenged on the specifics of anything, just dismiss the broader concept (or the person challenging you) out of hand.

• Members

As someone up above said, it's a real problem when the only time some of the members of the band actually play their instruments is in rehearsal. Every band has a different mentality in rehearsal - some like to write, some like to run through the set (whether there's a gig or not) and some just like to jam. I think there's an issue with commitment in a band if you can't go for more than two weeks without a practise without one or more members losing their motivation to be in the band. There's just alot of musicians who talk big about wanting to tour and "take this band as far as it can go", but in reality, they just want to rehearse once or twice a week and do the odd gig in their hometown.

• Members

Dave - So convince me that real musicians don't rehearse.

Did they say they don't rehearse? No. I just question the idea of rehearsing endlessly without any real gigs on the table. I've known guys who NEVER gig because they insist they haven't rehearsed enough yet. Pretty clearly, I think they are afraid to gig and use "we need more rehearsal" as an excuse.

I'm not a big fan of rehearsing a band over and over. If the band is familiar with each other, most things can be worked out by simply talking over what we need to do. Sure, we have to get together to learn (most) songs and work out new parts or things that are just SO rough we can't work them out in any other fashion, but IME one gig = about five rehearsals in terms of moving the band forward. If it's a new band getting together or an established band with a bunch of new material to put together, I'd rather schedule a cheap gig in a {censored}ty dive somewhere rather than rehearse for a week.

• Moderators

Dave - So convince me that real musicians don't rehearse.

225px-Internet_argument.png

Maybe we can put out dicks away for a second, guys? Argument for 20+ pages to come?

I just joined up with a group. Now, the MO of this group is to play bars 2 nights a month playing dancable, classic rhythm & blues with a rockin' country slant. Think Willie Dixon with rock guitar, harp, cowboy hats, balls and volume. Throw in some beer and punk 'tude and you've got it. Fun, cool, hip stuff. The audiences have agreed so far.

I'm used to learning the material, all the players being on it... and going out and playing.

But aside from the drummer and I, none of these guys have been professionals. They're out playing so there's no gun shyness, still the concept of a weekly rehearsal is paramount for them. Why?

Because even though they are good... they need to gel as a unit. So they now have a pro bassist and drummer and are getting comfortable with being a single entity.

One is all and all are one. Not just copying a record and going out. But learning to listen and behave as a unit.

That takes time sometimes. If they weren't gigging, I wouldn't be interested. But they are, we are I should say. And we are becoming that symbiotic entity. So yeah... let's get together every week.

• Members

David, maybe concentrate on the subject matter and less on being right. It doesn't matter does it? I'm not seeing him being an issue without you being one.

How I entertain myself really shouldn't matter that much to you, should it? Just scroll past what you don't want to read or put my posts on ignore or whatever.

Archived