Party Band / Drinking Band?

Kramerguy

• Members

At one point, our website, FB, and most of our gig posters and promo referred to partying and drinking, even heavy drinking, and fun. My Bio included that I liked to play music, drink, and a few other things, but it was noted that drinking was high on my list lol.

Now, I'm not a beer-holic or anything, but when I go out and party at gigs, etc.. we ALL drink pretty heavily, although rarely if ever "fall onto the stage" we are all able to keep our wits about us, and have fun, play well, etc. I don't drink on off-nights, and I never drink alone. I like to think I'm a social drinker at best. I just enjoy it, a lot!

So in a discussion with a band mate, It came up that I focused too much of our promotion on drinking and partying, and should focus more on "fun" and "entertainment".. so I did, but something keeps gnawing away at me, and that is:

Our success as a bar band depends entirely on the cash register at the end of the night. How many people we bring is pointless if they only have one beer each. (and we don't play for the door anymore), so it would seem to me that we should actually be focused more, especially at the gigs, on partying and drinking. We rarely if ever do "socials" anymore, nor do we really "sell" drinking, other than "take care of your bartenders".

So are we doing ourselves a dis-service by not maximizing bar profits while we are playing there? Does the band really even have an effect on the sales, or is joe-blow going to buy 5 beers no matter what happens at the bar? I always think about this stuff when I see BS's avatar- "we are all just beer salesmen"..

Did I cave on something important, should I push to be more of a "pro-drink pushing band" ? Or should we just worry about playing music and let the bar worry about selling beer?

• Members

This is a really good topic of discussion and one I have not yet seen in my short time here...

Over-consumption of alcohol has been somewhat demonized and I can understand not wanting to be labelled as "that drunk guy band", yet bars are in the business of selling alcohol and I would think would love a band whose image and marketing supports that "lifestyle".

I guess you need to walk that line between "let's party!" and "let's get {censored}faced" and let the alcohol part be implied?

• Members

At one point, our website, FB, and most of our gig posters and promo referred to partying and drinking, even heavy drinking, and fun. My Bio included that I liked to play music, drink, and a few other things, but it was noted that drinking was high on my list lol.

Now, I'm not a beer-holic or anything, but when I go out and party at gigs, etc.. we ALL drink pretty heavily, although rarely if ever "fall onto the stage" we are all able to keep our wits about us, and have fun, play well, etc. I don't drink on off-nights, and I never drink alone. I like to think I'm a social drinker at best. I just enjoy it, a lot!

So in a discussion with a band mate, It came up that I focused too much of our promotion on drinking and partying, and should focus more on "fun" and "entertainment".. so I did, but something keeps gnawing away at me, and that is:

Our success as a bar band depends entirely on the cash register at the end of the night. How many people we bring is pointless if they only have one beer each. (and we don't play for the door anymore), so it would seem to me that we should actually be focused more, especially at the gigs, on partying and drinking. We rarely if ever do "socials" anymore, nor do we really "sell" drinking, other than "take care of your bartenders".

So are we doing ourselves a dis-service by not maximizing bar profits while we are playing there? Does the band really even have an effect on the sales, or is joe-blow going to buy 5 beers no matter what happens at the bar? I always think about this stuff when I see BS's avatar- "we are all just beer salesmen"..

Did I cave on something important, should I push to be more of a "pro-drink pushing band" ?
Or should we just worry about playing music and let the bar worry about selling beer?

I think you just answered your own question. people are going to drink what they drink. You need to push a good time and let them worry about their drinking.

• Moderators

Just as you can sell a boozy image, you can sell a bad ass responsible image as well. Without coming off cheesy. Do some research into cab companies in your area. Get some of their cards. Lots. And just as you can say, "Let's lift another and party!!!", you can also say after the next tune, "Don't be an asshole and drive drunk. I've got cab cards for anyone who wants one!" Or... "You are trading off who's the designated driver next time aren't you?!?!?" Have fun with the tempering side as well.

You know?

• Members

Two of the guys in our band are 100% sober at gigs. Our front man is a recovered/always recovering alcoholic and addict. He has been clean for years and doesn't touch the stuff anymore. Our drummer got a DUI back in the day and doesn't drink but only on occasion, and never a drop when he has to drive home, so never at gigs either. Me and our bass player have a few beers and maybe 1 shot if someone buys them for us, that's about it. Never anything close to drunk.

Although the venues want to make a killing on the sales, I know many (if not all) of our gigs would frown on using "get drunk" type messages in the promo materials. We say stuff like "come party" and whatever else we dream up on Facebook and stuff, but not hanging in the venue. Many of our gigs are high-end restaurants and are open to all ages during the day. I don't think that type of promo would be appropriate.

Solely my opinion, but promoting like that doesn't really mix well with a "classy" type of gig. It belongs more in your crud ball bar venues. At the classy places people are going to drink and have a good time anyway but rarely do people get dead {censored} faced. Sometimes it does happen but it's pretty rare. Regarding the venue's bottom line, as long as you're there and you're keeping everyone entertained, they'll stay and therefore (usually) keep putting 'em back. What it says on your poster doesn't matter. The key is getting them in the door and keeping them wanting to stay once they're there. Now...if your following drops when you stop butting Nattie Light cans on your posters in the venues..........:poke:

Tomorrow night will be the exception of people not getting {censored} faced at classy places. We're playing if not the BIGGEST, then very close to the biggest St. Pat's Day gig in our area. An Irish Pub in Downtown, 1000 sqft tent with bands indoors and out from noon to close, live radio broadcasts in the afternoon, etc etc. People are going to f'n party :D

• Members

Just as you can sell a boozy image, you can sell a bad ass responsible image as well. Without coming off cheesy. Do some research into cab companies in your area. Get some of their cards. Lots. And just as you can say, "Let's lift another and party!!!", you can also say after the next tune, "Don't be an asshole and drive drunk. I've got cab cards for anyone who wants one!" Or... "You are trading off who's the designated driver next time aren't you?!?!?" Have fun with the tempering side as well.

Well said! And GREAT idea with the cab cards. I wonder if there's something there to develop a working partenership with local companies and help each other with promo/ads/etc????????????

• Members

Well said! And GREAT idea with the cab cards. I wonder if there's something there to develop a working partenership with local companies and help each other with promo/ads/etc????????????

There have been a few past lineups that we could have easily been labeled "Drunks In A Blender". There came a point several years ago when our singer (who doesn't drink at shows) threatened to leave the band if we didn't start to hold the line between spunky and sloppy. We're a party band sponsored by three separate Alcohol beverage companies and believe me our job is dependent on the clubs success. That being said it's not our job to sell booze, it's our job to sell a good time period. If that good time includes alcohol well so be it. If we're playing an event for a local AA chapter, we'll we can easily do that as well.

We will pass on bar info if it includes specials BUT we will not include it in our own promotions. We will for the sake of our sponsors, provide some mentions of the product. But we don't tell people what to drink and how to drink it. And when we do we always message to drink responsibly.

We want the crowd to enjoy us, not get drunk with us.

• Members

I don't believe anyone who tells me they drink heavily at a gig and it doesn't affect their playing. If you are sitting around with friends and jamming while passing the bottle, who cares, but in a working situation whether in the studio or gigging live, it makes a difference. If you think drinking on stage helps sell drinks at the bar (and I'm not arguing that point) then bring an empty coors bottle from home and fill it with water, gatorade, whatever...(acutally thats exactly what I do). I just don't like playing with people live who start drinking at the first set and continue throughout the gig. Every single time I can hear/feel the difference by the 2nd set. Two drummers ago we had a guy who was just a monster drummer and I loved playing with him......for the first half hour. He would always be the first to show up at the gig, literally an hour or more before anyone else. He would then sit in his truck and start drinking beer from his cooler he always kept in the back. And then the pipeloads would start. By the time we took the stage he was well lubed and by the end of the night he was,...well all over the place. I was glad when he was let go for other reasons.

In an agency band I played with on the west coast ski circuit, we were at a large nightclub in Roseville Ca. The clubs on that circuit usually hired us Thurs thru Sunday and put us up at a condo or hotel nearby. The first day we were watching Scarface on some movie channel to burn time and our singer, who had an obsessive compulsive personality anyway, was so smitten with the Tony Montana character he showed up at the gig wearing a bandana and talked between songs all night as Tony Montana. Oh yeah, he started drinking at the condo and by the 2nd set he was in character with the accent and throwing the Tony Montana f-bomb all night. It was unbelievable. The dancers were into it, but management was not. The agency rep flew up the next day to fire us, but the singer somehow talked them out of it. I never saw him drink again at the rest of our gigs.

Many other similar stories involving booze and other things, but I have never played with anyone who sounded and played better sauced versus sober.

Don't get me wrong, I will sit around with friends in a jam session and throw back with the best of them having a great time, but not at a gig or studio situation.

• Members

This seems to me like something you can drive with your music more than your instructions/example. Good party music provides good times and good times sell booze. I'm always a little put off by socials, but I'm more around the originals scene where the feel more contrived.

• Members

I love this thread and will read it all

Ive thought about this too.

Our band tends to bring out a lot more women and people who dance.

I wonder how that compares to some of the bigger 70's rock bands in the area who bring out maybe less dancing women and more heavy drinking men.

• Members

We usually only do one social towards the beginning of the night to get things started. After that, we're too busy playing and having a good time to think too much about it.

"the more you drink, the better we sound" - that's our passive-aggressive way of encouraging people to get sloshed. :lol:

• Members

Good thread.

I wish we had something factual to discuss this rather than: our opinions and what has worked for us.Too bad we don't have talent buyers, agents, or club managers and owners to contribute in this forum.

Does the band really even have an effect on the sales, or is joe-blow going to buy 5 beers no matter what happens at the bar?

No, Joe Blow would have only bought 3 beers but your band made him dance and/or rock out so hard that he bought 7 instead. That's the theory.

• Members

Ya know legally, a bartender can be held responsible for "overserving" a patron and the consequences thereof. While I don't know the specifics, I wonder if that could be applicable to a band creating a "wild party atmosphere that constantly encouraged overzealous drinking and outrageous behavior."

I ain't no lawyer obviously.....just a thought.....

• Members

The other night a well known local radio station DJ came up came up and offered me a drink. I said thanks and passed, I hope I didn't offend him. For what I do, improvisational stuff, as well as trying my hand at singing and playing, holding up the band, I need to be all there. Honestly a big part of that was thinking about driving home and not wanting to catch a DUI.

There was a time I really needed a drink or two to deal with the people at the bar and such, but I think I am in a 'better place' musically, if that makes any sense.

• Members

Ya know legally, a bartender can be held responsible for "overserving" a patron and the consequences thereof. While I don't know the specifics, I wonder if that could be applicable to a band creating a "wild party atmosphere that constantly encouraged overzealous drinking and outrageous behavior."

Absolutely

I'm pretty sure that is coming soon.

This is America.

We sue people and take responsibility for nothing. That's what we do.

• Members

In Australia, it is pretty much illegal for pubs/clubs to promote drinking in any form. No 2 for ones, a lot of place won't sell shots, happy hours have to be for an actual hour etc.

I don't think I've ever heard a band explicitly encourage anyone to drink.

• Members

Sure. And also the guy that supplies the jukebox, and the kitchen staff for making that great food that makes people thirsty for beer, whoever coordinates the darts tournament, supplies the pool tables, yada yada yada.

In other words: no.

I mean, people can sue for anything they want. I can sue you right now for making me type this reply, contributing to impending carpal tunnel syndrome, which will affect my ability to earn an income. But will I win?

Unless the band is directly responsible for providing the alcohol, I just can't see any way. Whether the band is there or not, if there is no bartender, there's no drinking.

But back to the OP issue, it's a matter of context. If you guys are in your 20s and attract a young party crowd, then sure. Unleash the fury. If your band is a bunch of 40-year olds, I think it's kinda pathetic and buffoonish to be outwardly encouraging people to drink heavily.

• Members

The bartender's liability for "over-serving" a patron is established ( typically) by state statute. In numerous states it is a criminal offense to serve an obviously intoxicated person. Most states have "dram shop" laws.

The person who commented that "of course a band could be sued" is correct. As a practical matter, however, a local band is an unlikely defendant in a civil suit for the fact that most bands or individual musicians don't have enough assets to make it worth suing. (Compared to the assets of the bar.). I'm not saying never; just highly unlikely. Does your band have public liability insurance for its acts of negligence? Mark C.

• Members

...I don't think I've ever heard a band explicitly encourage anyone to drink.

I have heard it from several local bands. One had several "Holler And Swaller" (that's "swallow" for those of you not fluent in Southern Drawl.) moments in their sets, and yelling stuff like, "everybody have a social drink", or "raise your glass.!" are commonplace. Even the "Chicken Fried" line, with "...if you agree, have a a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast..." and people complying could be considered "encouraging" drinking.

One local band actually had an original song about whiskey, where the fans/patrons would line up, and go around the stage in a line, and get liquor poured in their mouths. SOP for them.

Sorry for the thread derail...

jamieb

+++++

• Members

I think where a party band could run into trouble is when they start bringing people up on stage. Then you could run into a situation of libility. If they are just a customer of the bar ,, the band should be in the clear.

Archived