Band Meeting!

Kramerguy

• Members

I played a club in Boise about 15 years ago that had two poster boards full of rules for the bands posted on each side of the stage- things like dress, drinks on stage, smoking, where to place your gear, and the goofiest set times I ever saw- something like "9:10 to 10:05, 10:20 to 11:10, 11:25 to 12:10, 12:25 to 1:15. Last call at 1:15. Play sets exactly as posted. DO NOT BE LATE. DO NOT GO OVER TIME OR PAY WILL BE DOCKED", etc. I never played there again.

I've played places like that. Once at MMC, we played a jazz bar where there were a bunch of music magazine reporters and some industry people hanging out to see the bands. The sets were 40 mins which included quick load in and out, and the asshat in front of us played (masturbated) for well over an hour and our total set time ended up being literally 15 minutes - We barely got out two songs. Even though he screwed us, it didn't give us the right to screw the next guy- So I understand on a whole new level why they post times like that. Needless to say, only because val asked me to hold back did I narrowly avert myself from beating that dudes ass out in the parking lot. I still want to.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Ahhhh wardrobe... dreaded wardrobe. For years we just dressed as we wanted which was good enough since we were all similar in age and not much older than the crowd we played for but 2-3 years ago we came to a decision to have two modes of clothing for gigs... #1-dress as you want... which means some form of stage wear. We're all different ages and we all sport a different look. I like Vegas style/swinger lounge shirts, our guitarist-tight v-necks, singer-T-shirts, sunglasses and baseball cap... We never look like the audience and are easily identifiable in the crowd.

emptybottlefeb2012-77.jpg

Mode 2 are for parties, weddings and larger gig opportunities. Black shirt, jeans and ties. It's uniform, clean and easy to coordinate.

Band-pic.jpg

Both are fine for me... I'm too old and fat to sport Affliction.

Wow man, I gotta say that second image is SHARP and I might even bring up the issue...

I see us as the first image. I like the "Band" look

• Members
I've played places like that. Once at MMC, we played a jazz bar where there were a bunch of music magazine reporters and some industry people hanging out to see the bands. The sets were 40 mins which included quick load in and out, and the asshat in front of us played (masturbated) for well over an hour and our total set time ended up being literally 15 minutes - We barely got out two songs. Even though he screwed us, it didn't give us the right to screw the next guy- So I understand on a whole new level why they post times like that. Needless to say, only because val asked me to hold back did I narrowly avert myself from beating that dudes ass out in the parking lot. I still want to.

The weird thing about this place is they only hired one band per night.:freak:

• Members

We went with the dark pants, shirt and shoes set. With no color except just a bit in the shirt but mostly black. The band had to drag me to that. Now I see the use and agree. So now I want something more flashy. I'm thinking I may show up in a white tux with tails and see how it goes.

Alright I'll bring the black set if they get pissed as a backup.

• Members

I've seen a lot of more of the semi and pro bands doing the thing where the singer/frontman wears something different than the rest of the band, like everyone wears black and the singer wears white, or inverted where everyone wears black pants and red shirt and the singer wears red pants with a black shirt, or black pants and a blue shirt.. the sky is the limit :)

• Members

One thing I think is much too often overlooked, highlighted by Grant's first photo- the color of jeans. That medium blue rarely projects well as a way of saying "I'm in a band." I actually prefer grays to blues, but that's preference. But especially with black, if you darken the jeans, the look projects much, much better. If you're wondering why the black shirt and jeans look just doesn't work, take a closer look at the jeans.

• Members

the other problem with that "party" pic is that the lead singer just looks like a douche with his hat on backward and holding a wireless mic like his d*ck in his hand... (not trying to be rude, but that pic is NOT flattering, and he looks like a meathead too... which doesn't help).

using a mic-stand gives a frame of reference to the audience, and gives you an (inanimate) object to interact with on the stage. it also tells people where to look to find "the band" they find the other members based on their instruments, the singer needs a similar calling card.

also, if your'e NOT hefting an instrument, you (as stated by many others) really should be donning something to draw attention or create a theatrical feel. the guitar (bass, etc) is a theatrical prop as much as it is a musical device.

the other "problem" with that picture is that its appears flash-aided which completely washes out the effects of stage/spot-lighting and and flattens and dulls things tremendously.

we see that in the difference between flash-stills of our previous work and the live video. I wear jeans and a black shirt, in the video I look like the singer in a band. in the stills I look like a dumb@ss on stage with some buddies in broad daylight.

• Moderators

Well... call me weird, but I think it goes beyond just not blending in. I think you need to stick out. Ever have a conversation with a newscaster with their makeup on? It's scary how much of that stuff is required to seem normal on TV. For different reasons, but along the same lines, I don't buy the idea of a button down collar or what have you.

You need to stick out to the degree that says, "This is the entertainment tonight." Just a little in not enough. Too much can sometimes not be enough. It takes time and energy to find that thing that goes far enough but you're still comfortable in. Socially comfortable I mean. Get used to it.

I come from the land of Mojo Nixon and Jose Sinatra and Country Dick Montana. Large, fun, over the top characters. Adam Lambert for god sakes! I'm not partial to cheese at all. But making a STATEMENT!!!! Hell yeah. Cheese is for wacky. If you do wacky, fine. But what ever happened to cool? The coolest guys in the room should be you! Do it or go home to your TV.

• Members

Well... call me weird, but I think it goes beyond just not blending in. I think you need to stick out. Ever have a conversation with a newscaster with their makeup on? It's scary how much of that stuff is required to seem normal on TV. For different reasons, but along the same lines, I don't buy the idea of a button down collar or what have you.

You need to stick out to the degree that says, "This is the entertainment tonight." Just a little in not enough. Too much can sometimes not be enough. It takes time and energy to find that thing that goes far enough but you're still comfortable in. Socially comfortable I mean. Get used to it.

I come from the land of Mojo Nixon and Jose Sinatra and Country Dick Montana. Large, fun, over the top characters. Adam Lambert for god sakes! I'm not partial to cheese at all. But making a STATEMENT!!!! Hell yeah. Cheese is for wacky. If you do wacky, fine. But what ever happened to cool? The coolest guys in the room should be you! Do it or go home to your TV.

I agree with this. This has always been my style as well. I always says that I think every should know who the band is when they walk into the room, not just after they take the stage. Have some prescence about you and carry yourself in that manner.

Problem is---this sort of mindset really just does not exist in some people. It is completely against everything they are to want to 'stand out'. They think what's 'cool' is to be the regular guy who quietly gets up on stage and lets the music speak for himself. When you have someone in the band like this, you're never going to change that mindset--at least not in my experience.

Our guitarist is this way. If it was up to him, he'd show up in the grungiest clothes he has and wear those on stage. We literally have to force him to dress otherwise---"you're in this band so THIS is how you dress. It's required."

I hate to do that to the guy because I know it makes him uncomfortable and everyone else willingly like to dress up and everyone else agrees on the dress-code. But, what are you gonna do?

• Members

I have always had the mindset that the band needs to look a little more catchy then the regular patrons. One rule of thumb with my guys is: Are you dressed appropriately to be on a stage with a killer light show? Blue jeans and a polo shirt just doesn't work IMO.

• Members

Mode 2 are for parties, weddings and larger gig opportunities. Black shirt, jeans and ties. It's uniform, clean and easy to coordinate.

Band-pic.jpg

Both are fine for me... I'm too old and fat to sport Affliction.

That pic is great, are you guys actually playing or just holding your poses in mid-air? :thu:

• Members

We do black suits, and anything else goes. We're able to individualize ourselves with neckties, shirts, jewelry, and so on, but it's completely clear that we're the entertainers for the night, and that we're all together. I see the point about wearing dark colors, but it never occurred to me and doesn't really hurt the look of an old-time country band. We relax the rules in some ultra-casual gigs, but are pretty firm about no sneakers and no shorts, unless the gig is over 90 degrees and before dusk.

Getting people to go along with it is really tricky, given the independent streak common among musicians. I've had the most success with 1) Not ever bringing it up, so as not to argue and get them to commit to their position, and 2) just dressing the way I think we should. If I'm right about the look, the hold-outs come around after seeing how good I look (or how good I look to the women who approach us after the show).

• Members

I call bands that dress like the crowd 'casual friday' no matter what their band name is.. If you are dressed like you're going into the office on a casual day, you are not dressed well enough to be the band.

I walked into a bar to check out a band (I like to support the scene I'm in on nights I'm not playing) and instantly got 'Hey, the band is here' when I walked in. my mojo is pretty F'in tight, and I always look like I'm ready to get on stage, it's just who I am.. I told the guys I was just there to see the other band (who was not set up or even in the bar yet, despite it being the posted time for their downbeat....) SHortly after, some guys in straight-legged jeans, big chunky white sneakers and polo shirts started carrying guitar cases in. 'These must be the friends of the band' says the one guy at the bar... no, no, sir, that IS the band. Bass player/singer chick looked like a single mom on her way to a PTA meeting and hoping to meet a single dad who needed some attention, Keyboard player chick just looked like a single mom, guitar player and bass player were the guys I mentioned earlier. The drummer had black jeans and a sleeveless black t-shirt on, even had a rockin' sweatband, I new he was in the band,...

So yeah, it really drives me crazy when I see 'Casual Friday', because I know that what you wear matters to the crowd. SOme people should just play in their bedrooms if they aren't willing to make an effort IMHO.

• Moderators

not this old tired topic.
:)
It depends on the type of band and the types of gigs/venues you play. Choice A won't necessarily work for band F.

Of course A won't work for band F!!! But the underlying concept remains. You're onstage. Is that you in your avatar with the John Popper hat and black getup? That works. It wouldn't be my choice but that's the point. I could tell at the bar that dude is in the band. You're dressing like what you are. The guitarist in the band.

I recall seeing a pic of you in cargo shorts... that didn't work. It only worked for all the other guys in cargo shorts. And yes, a hot summer night in a bar warrants appropriate adjustments. And yes, not being 25 anymore and 165 pounds can limit those adjustments, but the thought still needs to go into it.

At least for me it does.

• Members
Of course A won't work for band F!!! But the underlying concept remains. You're onstage. Is that you in your avatar with the John Popper hat and black getup? That works. It wouldn't be my choice but that's the point. I could tell at the bar that dude is in the band. You're dressing like what you are. The guitarist in the band.

I recall seeing a pic of you in cargo shorts... that didn't work. It only worked for all the other guys in cargo shorts. And yes, a hot summer night in a bar warrants appropriate adjustments. And yes, not being 25 anymore and 165 pounds can limit those adjustments, but the thought still needs to go into it.

At least for me it does.

No that is the bass player with the hat. I'm the guitarist.

• Members
That pic is great, are you guys actually playing or just holding your poses in mid-air?
:thu:

Unless I'm totally imagining things, that's an assembled comp/Photoshop job of the individual members. Nothing live about it

• Members
I call bands that dress like the crowd 'casual friday' no matter what their band name is.. If you are dressed like you're going into the office on a casual day, you are not dressed well enough to be the band.

I walked into a bar to check out a band (I like to support the scene I'm in on nights I'm not playing) and instantly got 'Hey, the band is here' when I walked in. my mojo is pretty F'in tight, and I always look like I'm ready to get on stage, it's just who I am.. I told the guys I was just there to see the other band (who was not set up or even in the bar yet, despite it being the posted time for their downbeat....) SHortly after, some guys in straight-legged jeans, big chunky white sneakers and polo shirts started carrying guitar cases in. 'These must be the friends of the band' says the one guy at the bar... no, no, sir, that IS the band. Bass player/singer chick looked like a single mom on her way to a PTA meeting and hoping to meet a single dad who needed some attention, Keyboard player chick just looked like a single mom, guitar player and bass player were the guys I mentioned earlier. The drummer had black jeans and a sleeveless black t-shirt on, even had a rockin' sweatband, I new he was in the band,...

So yeah, it really drives me crazy when I see 'Casual Friday', because I know that what you wear matters to the crowd. SOme people should just play in their bedrooms if they aren't willing to make an effort IMHO.

All this. ^^^^^

All any band is trying to do on stage is stand out and "pop". Both musically AND visually. If you're not going to dress to do so then why bother with things like a light show or a banner with your band name on it? Obviously, the look of the band matters.

And that doesn't mean that all bands need to dress like rockstars or wearing matching outfits or monkey suits. But it DOES mean that everyone should stand out with their look in their own way. I've seen guitarists who put more thought, effort and money into the look of their guitarstrap than they do the clothes they wear. :facepalm:

• Members

fortunately, most people don't view things that way. That says that bands like CCR, PJ, Skynyrd, Neil Young, and numerous others should have just stayed in their garages.

• Members

fortunately, most people don't view things that way. That says that bands like CCR, PJ, Skynyrd, Neil Young, and numerous others should have just stayed in their garages.

Actually, I have NO doubt in my mind that most people DO view things that way. I have NO doubt that the majority of people have a positive response to musicians dressed in a standout manner than as opposed to those who don't care one way or the other about it.

And to suggest that bands like PJ and Skynyrd never had a specific look is wrong as well. Eddie Vedder was pretty much the poster boy for the 90s grunge flannel-shirt fashion and who doesn't think of Ronnie van Zant without picturing him in his trademark hat? Especially in the early days when those acts were still trying to create an image for themselves? Sure--once you've got a bunch of hits, you can much more get away with wearing just about anything. But for cover bands? Not the same deal.

I also don't buy into the idea that just because one can point to exceptions that it doesn't make a rule valid.

Obviously any band and musician is free to wear whatever they want. But why anyone would PURPOSELY not work everything they are doing to the fullest extent is beyond me. Again, nobody says you have to have lights either. But which band is going to draw more positive attention? The band with a decent light show or the one without?

• Members

Actually, I have NO doubt in my mind that most people DO view things that way. I have NO doubt that the majority of people have a positive response to musicians dressed in a standout manner than as opposed to those who don't care one way or the other about it.

And to suggest that bands like PJ and Skynyrd never had a specific look is wrong as well. Eddie Vedder was pretty much the poster boy for the 90s grunge flannel-shirt fashion and who doesn't think of Ronnie van Zant without picturing him in his trademark hat? Especially in the early days when those acts were still trying to create an image for themselves? Sure--once you've got a bunch of hits, you can much more get away with wearing just about anything. But for cover bands? Not the same deal.

I also don't buy into the idea that just because one can point to exceptions that it doesn't make a rule valid.

Obviously any band and musician is free to wear whatever they want. But why anyone would PURPOSELY not work everything they are doing to the fullest extent is beyond me. Again, nobody says you have to have lights either. But which band is going to draw more positive attention? The band with a decent light show or the one without?

The other thing to consider is that back in the late 60s-early 70s, rock music was less about show biz and more about the vibe of the band and the musicianship. Sure,you had Hendrix and Page and Blackmore and Bowie and lots of other show guys, but you also had the Allman Brothers, Rory Gallagher, CSNY, the southern rockers, and so on. It was a different time then. I saw guys walk into a park with an acoustic guitar, start playing it and immediately have 20 people sitting around listening, even if the guy wasn't very good. Woodstock was still hanging in the air, and music hadn't become the disposable commodity it is now, at least not live music. People were still impressed with guys who could play, and music was a generational soundtrack, a statement with which you identified. Now, it isn't that way much at all. Very few live bands play the music that the patrons carry around on their ipods, because there is so much more of it and so much more variety available. My son listen to everything from old Zeppelin to Muse to The Woods Brothers to Ray Lamontagne to Band of Horses. Good luck covering that gamut.

I can't help but think part of the demise of live music is bands being unable to keep up with the changes, both socially and business wise, and the sense lots of players have that playing it live isn't anything special anymore. The attitudes of way too many bands reflects that in the way they present themselves. 40 years ago, I could stand there playing my guitar in my bib overalls looking at my shoes and we'd still have a big crowd. Today, not so much. With just a little effort,lots of bands could up their game and set themselves apart. A few years ago, my band wore nice suits- not Blues Brothers outfits, and not insurance salesmen outfits, but classy double breasted pinstripes and such. We could do it because we were an uptown blues/jazz/funk band. It set us apart from the other blues bands looking like they just got off the golf course or parked the Harley. And it was one of the reasons we got booked into higher dollar shows.

Please, before all the knives come out- I'm NOT saying everyone should wear suits. I'm saying everyone should find their niche and do whatever it takes to set themselves apart from the pack and look like a band. When you're playing sell out auditoriums, it doesn't matter what you wear. At the level most of us are at, it can make a big difference.

• Members

The other thing to consider is that back in the late 60s-early 70s, rock music was less about show biz and more about the vibe of the band and the musicianship. Sure,you had Hendrix and Page and Blackmore and Bowie and lots of other show guys, but you also had the Allman Brothers, Rory Gallagher, CSNY, the southern rockers, and so on. It was a different time then.

That's all true, but the other way of looking at it is that the visual was less important just simply as a function of the technology of the period. Rock music was primarily about the radio and the records. There were ocassional TV appearances and of course live concerts, but the LOOK of the bands was nowhere near as important as it became after the advent of MTV. I suppose you can call that "show biz", but I see it as more as just about the broadening of everything that a live band was about.

• Members

certainly lighting is a necessary evil for gigging. I was mainly pointing out bands that looked pretty much like the crowd. I've seen DMB live and he looked like a typical college kid. Same with Maroon 5. I would prefer to be recognized as a certain artist based on your personal looks than to try and make your "bandness" known via what you are wearing. That just seems kinda fake-cocky to try and beef up who you are. Show them who you are once you hit the stage, that's my motto.

Archived