Any of you cover acts have Radiohead songs that work?

Crustee

• Members

Since this is a thread about Radiohead, I've seen all types of hip/cool/20 somethings dig it.

Yeah, I'm not saying I don't think that the hip/cool young demo dislikes Radiohead.

I think that the hip/cool young demo would generally dislike a cover version of Radiohead as a sub-set of disliking most of anything played by most cover bands.

(And just so we're clear, by definition the affliction/ed hardy demo is neither hip nor cool anywhere, I think we should all be able to agree on that...).

As far as the 'many venues book both original and cover bands' point...we'll have to continue to disagree: not in several states/at least 4 semi-to-major markets I've played in. They are seen as seperate and definitely NOT equal.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As far as the 'many venues book both original and cover bands' point...we'll have to continue to disagree: not in several states/at least 4 semi-to-major markets I've played in. They are seen as seperate and definitely NOT equal.

There's nothing to disagree about. That's how it is where you've been, that's NOT how it is where I've been.

• Members

If I could make a profitable night out of nothing but B sides, I'd do it in a heartbeat!

I do it, both in my solo and my band, but it took a long time and a lot of poop sandwiches to get there. And while I think it can be done in some places, I spent enough time full time on the road to know that different things work in different markets, and what works here might not work where you live. I wouldn't presume to put you down for playing what earns you money, not would I put somebody down who hates playing the hits. I played in my share of hits bands, doing everything from disco and lounge in the 70s to Urban Cowboy in the 80s, to top 40, to straight country...enough to know that with more years behind me than ahead of me, I only want to play what I like, and I've found a way to do that. We all do what works for us the way that it gives us the most satisfaction. Fortunately, I'm lucky that they keep hiring me back. I'm just happy when any musician anywhere is working, no matter what they're playing!

• Members

Why does every single thread in this forum turn out like this? With pretty much the same 2-3 posters saying the exact same stuff? :idk:

And to keep it on topic, Creep always goes over, as boring as it is to play. We also do The Bends fairly regularly, with expectedly mixed results. It just depends on how many Radiohead fans are in the crowd. Half the time the cool/uncool patrons probably think it's an original.

• Members

I do it, both in my solo and my band, but it took a long time and a lot of poop sandwiches to get there. And while I think it can be done in some places, I spent enough time full time on the road to know that different things work in different markets, and what works here might not work where you live. I wouldn't presume to put you down for playing what earns you money, not would I put somebody down who hates playing the hits. I played in my share of hits bands, doing everything from disco and lounge in the 70s to Urban Cowboy in the 80s, to top 40, to straight country...enough to know that with more years behind me than ahead of me, I only want to play what I like, and I've found a way to do that. We all do what works for us the way that it gives us the most satisfaction. Fortunately, I'm lucky that they keep hiring me back. I'm just happy when any musician anywhere is working, no matter what they're playing!

Amen to that brutha!

• Members

And to keep it on topic, Creep always goes over, as boring as it is to play.

Right on. It's like "Wanted Dead or Alive." It's a safe choice. I get that some people want every one of their songs to be a safe choice... and some people do not and want to push the envelope. That's a perfectly healthy blend right there.

In short, thank God we all have our own bands to experiment this with!

• Members

creep is
:bor:

we are learning Just. awesome song, rocks hard.

We sometimes end the night with Creep, and everyone goes nuts for it, we get a lot of requests for it and have tried unsuccessfully to remove it from our set list many times, but every time we take it off someone just requests it anyways.

• Members

Why does every single thread in this forum turn out like this? With pretty much the same 2-3 posters saying the exact same stuff?
:idk:

It doesn't happen in every single thread, but when it does, it's usually because it's the limitations of a forum, where communication is one dimensional and intent gets lost when you can't interact personally. It happens in every forum.

• Members

You guys may be worried about your "musical integrity".

For me "musical integrity" is about what you put into the piece you're playing; not about which song it is or how often anyone else has or has not played it.

Song choice is subjective on so many levels. One man's "artistic integrity" band/song is another man's "boring-as-{censored}" band/song.

• Members

Perhaps not, but it's obvious from your many contributions that you firmly believe your opinion is the only right one.

Yep.

Perhaps you meant that as a crack on me, but IMO it takes a special kind of fool to have and keep an opinion they DON'T firmly believe is right.

So thanks for the compliment!

:thu:

• Members

It doesn't happen in every single thread, but when it does, it's usually because it's the limitations of a forum, where communication is one dimensional and intent gets lost when you can't interact personally. It happens in every forum.

Sorry for the hyperbole, but an awful lot of threads here devolve due to the same handful of posters harping on the same points.

And to keep this post relevant, I would love to play this song, though nobody would recognize it:

[video=youtube;_BUSnGF0mLo]

• Members

Well... that's sorta the problem with Radiohead. They aren't a 'pop' band. 'Creep' had airplay therefore people are fans of the song, not the band. If you asked a Radiohead fan what songs he'd like to hear (to start it would be hard to find a die hard Radiohead fan sitting in a venue that's frequented by cover bands), they're choices would likely not be 'Creep'.

For the record 'Creep' is nearly 20 years old. Nearly classic rock... certainly classic alternative. I could hear it in a set surrounded by 'Even Flow", "What's The Frequency Kenny", "Lightning Crashes"... even "Comfortably Numb". Not "You Shook Me", "Crazy Train", "Boys Are Back In Town".

But who knows until they try right?

• Members

Well... that's sorta the problem with Radiohead. They aren't a 'pop' band. 'Creep' had airplay therefore people are fans of the song, not the band. If you asked a Radiohead fan what songs he'd like to hear (
to start it would be hard to find a die hard Radiohead fan sitting in a venue that's frequented by cover bands
), they're choices would likely not be 'Creep'.

Agree, especially with the bolded part.

If one of the same points being 'harped on' has anything to do with the average poster in the average cover band trying to select a specific Radiohead (or Extreme or whomever that happens to be semi-obscure) song and then justify to the rest of the world why that semi-obscure song/band selection will work JUST FOR THEM...then yeah, I suspect the conversation around here will be pretty cyclical, since that kind of topic seems to come up almost daily.

Which surprises me a bit as I thought the vast majority of posters here were instead targeting only songs that had the biggest/widest appeal for the most part in order to play to ever-growing audiences at an increasing frequency.

• Members

, but IMO it takes a special kind of fool to have and keep an opinion they
DON'T
firmly believe is right.

The biggest fools of all are those that have and keep an opinion without any real juice to support or, worst of all, stick to it in opposition to all the evidence indicating they are wrong.

• Members

The biggest fools of all are those that have and keep an opinion without any real juice to support or, worst of all, stick to it in opposition to all the evidence indicating they are wrong.

Don't confuse him with logic. It only works to make him more agitated.

• Members

Don't confuse him with logic. It only works to make him more agitated.

I wasn't being accusatory. I have no idea whether Kmart is that sort of fool or not and so I'll assume he is not until I see evidence to the contrary. Just posting that point as a cautionary warning to us all...

Archived