Modern Country Fans---explain Blake Shelton to me?

• Members
But I believe is the combonation of his skill, attitude, and marketing pitch that makes the total sell.

I think this sums it up. Before I got into watching the Voice, I had no clue who he was. Now, I must admit, I have a little crush on him. :lol: He's just a really cool, respectable guy with a great voice.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That fake {censored} always works against you in the long run. George Strait and Alan Jackson's accents are authentic...but Garth doesn't really have one, and it never hurt him, and he certainly never "hicked" it up. .

To me, Garth is more fake than if he forced a fake twang. He's nothing more than a gifted mimic (and indeniably great performer) that can pretty much make his voice do anything- from Dan Fogelburg to Gene Simmons. Unfortunately, for "country-ness" he opts to sound like Mr. Haney from Green Acres (referring to the high, voice-breaking Mr. Haney yelp). Tip of the hat to Waylon Jennings for the Mr. Haney reference- he was spot-on.

• Members

One thing I think alot of people seem to be forgetting is that it costs a ton of bucks to put a main stream country artist out on the road. they have to be reliable, well grounded and sober. the outlaw guys typically dont quite fit that mold. Corp country isnt going to roll the dice on someone who is less than totally stable and a company guy.

• Members

One thing I think alot of people seem to be forgetting is that it costs a ton of bucks to put a main stream country artist out on the road. they have to be reliable, well grounded and sober. the outlaw guys typically dont quite fit that mold. Corp country isnt going to roll the dice on someone who is less than totally stable and a company guy.

Exceptions abound.

• Members

Exceptions abound.

Yeah, I think Tim's assessment is a bit simplistic. No doubt that mindset exists among some in the industry but there are also those who are looking for true talent as well and will put up with a lot of bull{censored} from an artist when they find it.

You're exactly right that Nashville is no more "real" than is Hollywood and never has been. Part of the problem is the bandwagon mentality the prevails: Garth Brooks or Kurt Cobain hits and so then the labels go out and sign 50 more guys exactly like them and then sit around dumbfounded when they can't figure out why nobody is much interested in the copycats. But they repeat that cycle endlessly.

The other part of the problem is there really ISN'T a lot of real, genuine original talent out there. So a good looking guy with a decent voice who will do what you tell him is probably about all you can ask for most times.

• Members

To me, Garth is more fake than if he forced a fake twang. He's nothing more than a gifted mimic (and indeniably great performer) that can pretty much make his voice do anything- from Dan Fogelburg to Gene Simmons. Unfortunately, for "country-ness" he opts to sound like Mr. Haney from Green Acres (referring to the high, voice-breaking Mr. Haney yelp). Tip of the hat to Waylon Jennings for the Mr. Haney reference- he was spot-on.

Yeah, but whatever he's singing, you always know it's Garth Brooks. I can appreciate disdain for his stupid sell out stuff he started doing...Standing Outside the Fire, Chris Gaines, etc...but there has never a better combination of singer, songwriter, and entertainer than Garth Brooks. He's never going to obtain the legendary status of George Strait and Alan Jackson due to his excesses, but there's a lot of people who have him to thank for the popularity of country.

• Members

Yeah, but whatever he's singing, you always know it's Garth Brooks. I can appreciate disdain for his stupid sell out stuff he started doing...Standing Outside the Fire, Chris Gaines, etc...but there has never a better combination of singer, songwriter, and entertainer than Garth Brooks. He's never going to obtain the legendary status of George Strait and Alan Jackson due to his excesses, but there's a lot of people who have him to thank for the popularity of country.

Garth was the guy who was a major player in bringing country music into the mainstream. He gave us the big production arena country show. I get a kick out of guys who jump on the hate nashville bandwagon and praise the outlaw singer songwriter stuff ,, that dont even play country music. we lean more toward the outlaw singer songwriter stuff , but still do some modern nashville stuff.

With the band I play with ,, its about the song. If its a good song for us we do it.

• Members

IMO there have been scads who outdo him on singing and writing. Performing, no. As I said, he's an undeniably great performer. Kenny Chesney is a great singer but he must be a great performer, also. Neither one of them look like much. For that matter, Blake Shelton doesn't do anything for me, either, at least looks-wise (sorry Chordgirl). Maybe I'm not their target market.. :idk:

• Members

Funny maybe, in exposing the bias of someone who doesn't play country music and doesn't know anything about it. There's lots of current country artists who write or co-write their own stuff. If you don't play country music, you probably wouldn't know that, though.:poke:

• Members

Modern country music isn't. IMO, of course.

It is what it is. I dont think anyone on here would turn down the royalities if the just happened to pen a song for one of these so called no talent modern country stars. We play a ton of texas songwriter songs ,, but most of it is pretty well out of the main stream and most people havent heard that stuff before who visit the bar we play at. How many have heard 5 pound bass?

• Members

It is what it is. I dont think anyone on here would turn down the royalities if the just happened to pen a song for one of these so called no talent modern country stars. We play a ton of texas songwriter songs ,, but most of it is pretty well out of the main stream and most people havent heard that stuff before who visit the bar we play at. How many have heard 5 pound bass?

I didn't say it wasn't lucrative. It clearly is. But it's "country" in the same way Lady Gaga or Madonna is "rock". I would gladly take the money if I could bring myself to write such cheese as "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue" or "Dirt Road Anthem" or "Red Solo Cup", but then I'd have to blow my own head off because I couldn't live with the fact that I helped make the music buying public just a little bit more stupid than they were the day before.

• Moderators

Most guy country singers aren't known for amazing vocals.

Are you kidding? :confused:

On a percentage basis, country music has the best singers, songwriters, and musicians of any genre today.

That guy has the sort of voice and delivery that makes women melt, a bit like a young George Strait.

I used to be George's soundman. When he got to the talking part on "You Look So Good in Love" you couldn't hear the words over all the chicks screaming. :freak:

Terry D.

• Members
Are you kidding?
:confused:

On a percentage basis, country music has the best singers, songwriters, and musicians of any genre today

That guy has the sort of voice and delivery that makes women melt, a bit like a young George Strait.

I used to be George's soundman. When he got to the talking part on "You Look So Good in Love" you couldn't hear the words over all the chicks screaming.
:freak:

Terry D.

I totally agree with this.

• Members

Thritto! :D

I play in 2 different country bands. They do some classic rock and alot of Southern rock and outlaw country, probably less than 1/3 newer country. Newer songs with performer writing credits:

Bait a Hook- Justin Moore

Pretty Good at Drinking Beer, Let Me Down Easy- Billy Currington

Something Bout a Truck- Kip Moore

Pickin' Wildflowers- Keith Anderson (fun song, BTW)

Don't Want This Night to End- Luke Bryan

Am I the Only One- Dierks Biently

Wave on Wave- Pat Green

Right Where I Need to Be- Gary Allen

Need You Now- Lady Antebellum

No performer writing credits:

Troubadour- George Strait

I Won't Let Go- Rascal Flatts

Angel Eyes- Love and Theft

Billy Currington, Kip Moore, Gary Allen, Pat Green, Justin Moore, Brad Paisley, Toby Keith, Randy Houser, Brooks and Dunn, Alan Jackson, and yes, Blake Shelton, all of them either started out with self-written albums or got their break writing songs for already established artists. And so many I am leaving out. As for the "can't sing" criticism of our country music critic, that's a matter of personal taste. But I think the "don't write" part of it is unfair.

• Members
I have heard "Five pound Bass"........ but then again, my band plays "Sonora's Death Row".
:lol:

we do a good deal of robert earls stuff ,, I like doing kevin fowlers stuff too. He puts on a great show ,, we played on the bill with him at a festival down here .. he rocked em hard.

• Members

Funny maybe, in exposing the bias of someone who doesn't play country music and doesn't know anything about it. There's lots of current country artists who write or co-write their own stuff. If you don't play country music, you probably wouldn't know that, though.:poke:

:facepalm:

But it IS funny...and it would have been just as funny had he been talking about modern pop music or any type of music where the songwriters in many cases aren't the singers and there's a whole segment of the industry focused on just songwriting and selling those songs.

So, oh humorless and presumptive one, as I work in country radio and follow (and have met) many of these artists, from Willie to Lady A, I am fully aware that there are people who co-write and write a lot (Luke Bryan, Brad Paisley, Dierks Bentley, Alan Jackson, etc.)...and then there are people like Blake...and Reba, and George Strait...who do not (for the most part). You can admit that the non-writing singers exist, right? (And as a side note, what exactly defines "co-writing" in the industry? Tweaking lyrics of a completed song? Who knows why they get credit or how much they really do to earn it...) And let's not forget that even the ones who write and co-write in many cases use a lot of other people's songs to fill out their records because that's how the country record industry functions? That's true, right? And it's also true that more than most genres, you can get away with not being a songwriter and not being criticized for it in country music, right?

Well, something only has to be either a little true or an accepted cliche for it to ring true and be funny. But I wouldn't expect someone who probably isn't funny to know about something being funny. :poke:

(okay that was a cheap shot - but so was yours)

Lighten up, Francis...country music can handle being teased for its lack of "I sing my own songs" purity. It ain't going nowhere because we love it. Country must be country wide. (co-written by artist Brantley Gilbert) ;)

Brian V.

Archived