Modern Country Fans---explain Blake Shelton to me?

• Members

Re this post and this performance: He has to play live going into the set COLD with no warmup and on national TV, do you think maybe he was a bit nervous when he did the video? That is the only negative I see about this performance. Do you perform your best on all your first songs? I know I do better once I warm up. Sorry I had to post my thoughts and this matter.

In the grand scheme of things related to the music biz, I'm nobody, and in my best days, I was still...nobody.

But on my WORST days, i would still never allow myself the luxury of that kind of weak-sauce excuse that you are apparently willing to give to a guy who's been 'playing in the bigs' enough to have 11 #1 songs...He might have needed a 'warm up' or a 'gimme' song?

No, sorry.

Not as his level; that's simply not something he's allowed.

Once you've elevated to the major leagues like he has, you don't get cut that kind of slack, no way, no how. I'm sure at whatever ticket prices are for his gigs, the folks who pay to see him would agree.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The guy is a big star ,, you need to get over yourself.

{censored} you, Tim. What's wrong with looking at a big star and asking people who are fans of him and/or that genre and asking "what's the appeal?" All I've said is the guy--at least from that clip--doesn't have the obvious dynamic stage presence or big country voice a lot of his contemporaries do. I'm not a fan of say, Tim McGraw, but everytime he comes on TV and sings a song I can instantly get WHY he's a big star.--the songs, the look, the presentation--it's all there. I'm still not going to rush out and buy a Tim McGraw album, but I certainly understand why many people do.

With the Shelton clip, he looked timid, his voice was weak, and the song wasn't that great. So what's wrong with asking "what's the deal? why does THIS guy have 11 #1 hits?" A couple of people said he chooses great songs to sing. OK. I'll buy that. This one didn't grab me but maybe one of those 11 #1s would have.

And his performance came off as even weaker considering it was in the middle of a show where HE judges and mentors people on how to become great singers.

All valid criticisms and valid questions to ask. And has nothing to do with me needing to "get over myself".

• Members

try this instead: at 2:32

Now THAT was good! In that clip he sings well and conveys the likeable-charm he has on "The Voice". Seems his performance the other night was mostly just a off-night for him.

I also wonder if, like someone else suggested, he didn't rehearse it enough. Maybe his schedule is too much these days? A week or so ago he came out with the singers from his 'team' and they all sang "Heartache Tonight". Now while it's common for the star to take a back-seat and let the contestants shine, Shelton put himself SO far in the background that it seemed more like he was just inserting-himself-in at the last minute on a tune he hadn't rehearsed with them.

• Members

In the grand scheme of things related to the music biz, I'm nobody, and in my best days, I was still...nobody.

But on my WORST days, i would still never allow myself the luxury of that kind of weak-sauce excuse that you are apparently willing to give to a guy who's been 'playing in the bigs' enough to have 11 #1 songs...He might have needed a 'warm up' or a 'gimme' song?

No, sorry.

Once you've elevated to the major leagues like he has, you don't get cut that kind of slack, no way, no how. I'm sure at whatever ticket prices are for his gigs, the folks who pay to see him would agree.

And, worse still, he blew a major marketing opportunity. Obviously a big part of the reason he comes out and sings his new hit on "The Voice"--or even takes part in that TV show at all--is to increase his popularity and build his fan base. When he sang that song the other night, he sang it for millions of people who, like me, like HIM because we watch the show but don't know much at all about his music. I doubt he had very many non-country fans rushing over to iTunes to download his new single.

My wife--typical non-musician, 40-something, easily-influenced-by-pop-culture, has-a-crush-on-the-dude-because-he's-so-cute lady that she is--would clearly be the target demographic for that performance. And her response was "that sucked".

I seriously doubt that she needs to "get over herself" for thinking that.

• Members

I saw him live last year, kinda ironic he played before his wife...what's her name.... err....Miranda Lambert, he put a great show he really did. Problem with the old guys at all these Country shows they are as others they kinda sit there and do nothing and very boring. He did come out and do a duet with her later and all I have to say if they have kids, should be some good breeding! lol... He was definately one of the best last year, problem is they always have about 4 acts each night, 1st act is so so, 2nd act rocks, then they have some average act and then the headliner. He was the 2nd act that rocked.

Saw Willy last year, was expecting something cool, but he was stoned and played his guitar (BTW it does have a kinda funny sound and resonance to it, bet the sound guys loved it) and was boring to be frank with you.

• Members

Can't defend the stiffness or the gimp left arm thing he does....I would guess that it's from years of singing and playing guitar. Now (w/out his instrument) he has to develop his frontman thing (in front of millions). I might point out that Springsteen without his Tele hasn't achieved Bono coolness either (even after all this time)....also keep in mind that Blake is essentially an adult or A/C type of country act and not a "rock band labeling themselves as new country" so we're not gonna get dynamic Pete Townsend esque performances out of him. Your Katy Perry- Rihanna parallell is not acurate, a better pop-country parallel for Blake would be Jewel-Norah Jones.

Blake's kind of in a transitional generation of country artists who grew up doing the George Strait/Alan Jackson thing where you stand there and play guitar and sing. Beginning with Garth Brooks, country is moving more to artists being a traditional front person. Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, and those guys look pretty comfortable with or without the guitar...Blake doesn't...and you used to be able to get by with that.

It's VERY difficult when you're used to having a guitar to stand behind to suddenly go without it. I've been doing it on our more rocked up songs...it's ackward, although I'm getting better.

• Members

And, worse still, he blew a major marketing opportunity. Obviously a big part of the reason he comes out and sings his new hit on "The Voice"--or even takes part in that TV show at all--is to increase his popularity and build his fan base. When he sang that song the other night, he sang it for millions of people who, like me, like HIM because we watch the show but don't know much at all about his music. I doubt he had very many non-country fans rushing over to iTunes to download his new single.

My wife--typical non-musician, 40-something, easily-influenced-by-pop-culture, has-a-crush-on-the-dude-because-he's-so-cute lady that she is--would clearly be the target demographic for that performance. And her response was "that sucked".

He probably got a nice butt too she's just not telling you....Like that Kenny Chesney guy I always hear about how nice his a** is. ha

• Members

He probably got a nice butt too she's just not telling you....

She hasn't mentioned his butt yet.... but MY wife....yeah...she'd tell me. :lol:

Like that Kenny Chesney guy I always hear about how nice his a** is. ha

Yeah, but that dude's gay, isn't he? ;)

• Moderators

Hey! Your wife needs to get over herself! (you know I'm kidding) That's ^ very funny. I have to say this thread has made me laugh a couple times.

There's something I'm tired of anytime a modern country artist is mentioned. Sorry BlueStrat, but yes, we know trad country is awesome. Waylon and George Jones and Earle are the beezneez. I agree. I love it. Patsy Cline and Floyd Kramer and all the rest. Yes.

Just give into the fact that it is a different genre. Same name, different genre. We know. NashVegas, NashPop. It's pop with hats. This is nothing new for 30 years now. It has a very specific demographic and it is very successful. And yes, even with the autotune and the rest of the pop production tricks on the money channel, it is still very much a live in the studio band tracking situation. And yes, I'd say it is assumed most rock/blues musician don't like it. Nothing new or unique there either. OK! Off my chest. :)

Note: I've seen the guest pro or weekly judge on these types of shows choke more than once. I imagine it has a sort of reverse whammy on you. I'm sure it is not lost on him how ironic a choke pro might be on a show like that. I assume he let he mind get whammied in a classic mind fuck. Not a great performance.

But yeah, I've seen him pull off his tunes in live situations enough to know he's got the goods.

• Members

Hey! Your wife needs to get over herself! (you know I'm kidding) That's ^ very funny. I have to say this thread has made me laugh a couple times.

There's something I'm tired of anytime a modern country artist is mentioned. Sorry BlueStrat, but yes, we know trad country is awesome. Waylon and George Jones and Earle are the beezneez. I agree. I love it. Patsy Cline and Floyd Kramer and all the rest. Yes.

Just give into the fact that it is a different genre. Same name, different genre. We know. NashVegas, NashPop. It's pop with hats. This is nothing new for 30 years now. It has a very specific demographic and it is very successful. And yes, even with the autotune and the rest of the pop production tricks on the money channel, it is still very much a live in the studio band tracking situation. And yes, I'd say it is assumed most rock/blues musician don't like it. Nothing new or unique there either. OK! Off my chest.
:)

Note: I've seen the guest pro or weekly judge on these types of shows choke more than once. I imagine it has a sort of reverse whammy on you. I'm sure it is not lost on him how ironic a choke pro might be on a show like that. I assume he let he mind get whammied in a classic mind fuck. Not a great performance.

But yeah, I've seen him pull off his tunes in live situations enough to know he's got the goods.

+1 Some day Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan will be the country "legends" and everyone will be complaining about how the new stuff sucks, just like they complained when Bob Wills put drums on the Opry, just like they complained about how Merle wasn't like Ray Price, and that Willie and Waylon were a bunch of hippies.

• Members

This is logic that should apply to all styles of music. ALL of them.

There comes a time where you're given a pass based upon what you've contributed to music (guys like Ozzy, Wille Nelson, Clapton will get this when the time comes), but if you're young and famous, you do NOT get a hall pass. :thu:

• Members

Note: I've seen the guest pro or weekly judge on these types of shows choke more than once. I imagine it has a sort of reverse whammy on you. I'm sure it is not lost on him how ironic a choke pro might be on a show like that.

I'm sure it's not. I also imagine it's not lost on most of the "judges" that they themselves probably wouldn't get past the first round of auditions. At least some of them are rather humble about it and that's cool. I've heard Shelton tell a contestant more than once that "you're a much better singer than I am" and heard Adam Levine say he feels awkward telling somebody their performance was "pitchy" since he goes off-key himself all the time.

But you don't have to be better than everybody at everything to know good-from-bad yourself.

• Members

+1 Some day Jason Aldean and Luke Bryan will be the country "legends" and everyone will be complaining about how the new stuff sucks, just like they complained when Bob Wills put drums on the Opry, just like they complained about how Merle wasn't like Ray Price, and that Willie and Waylon were a bunch of hippies.

Yep. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

• Members

I think there is something wrong with the sound/soundcrew, as I've heard a variety of stage mistakes that seem to indicate that.

A few weeks back, Blake's team did that finale' with "Heartache Tonight", and it was pretty obvious to me that many of the performers on stage couldn't hear {censored}. That little blonde girl had just turned in a really great performance but when she sang on that last tune she looked and sounded scared to death.

Blake sounded tentative too.

Let me see Blake in HIS element with his crew and band before I judge him as a vocalist: that show just doesn't seem to be doing a very good job at giving the performers a good stage mix: perhaps they are erring in favor of visual appeal (as in: who wants to see a bunch of monitor wedges up there?)

• Members

I saw him live last year, kinda ironic he played before his wife...what's her name.... err....Miranda Lambert, he put a great show he really did. Problem with the old guys at all these Country shows they are as others they kinda sit there and do nothing and very boring. He did come out and do a duet with her later and all I have to say if they have kids, should be some good breeding! lol... He was definately one of the best last year, problem is they always have about 4 acts each night, 1st act is so so, 2nd act rocks, then they have some average act and then the headliner. He was the 2nd act that rocked.

Saw Willy last year, was expecting something cool, but he was stoned and played his guitar (BTW it does have a kinda funny sound and resonance to it, bet the sound guys loved it) and was boring to be frank with you.

So you don't think people should be critical of Blake Shelton?

• Members

A few weeks back, Blake's team did that finale' with "Heartache Tonight", and it was pretty obvious to me that many of the performers on stage couldn't hear {censored}. That little blonde girl had just turned in a really great performance but when she sang on that last tune she looked and sounded scared to death.

I think her problem was the key. I think they couldn't find a key that was good for both the guys and the girls and so both girls got hosed when it came to singing the verses, which are a bit low even for a male vocal. And my guess is Shelton didn't really rehearse with them and just sort of "sat in".

Let me see Blake in HIS element with his crew and band before I judge him as a vocalist: that show just doesn't seem to be doing a very good job at giving the performers a good stage mix: perhaps they are erring in favor of visual appeal (as in: who wants to see a bunch of monitor wedges up there?)

I think "The Voice" DOES put too much emphasis on the visual for what is supposed to be a singing contest, but that still doesn't excuse a poor mix. And as far as wedges go, all these shows are pretty much all-IEMs these days. I'm not sure why. Is getting every contestant their own set of molded buds easier than dealing with wedges? Obviously the pluses must outweigh the minuses for a live show---less gear to move around during commercial breaks; no risk of feedback, etc.

• Members

Guys like Steve Earl, David Alan Coe,

Yeah, but those guys all play the game too. I've heard them do goofy, contrived {censored}, and there's no doubt they "compete" with one another and their fans kinda the same way the mainstream cats do.

I know Steve Earle got a lot of press when "Copperhead Road" went mainstream, and he seemed very self deprecating and at times bitter towards the "establishment" (itself a seeming requirement for an "outlaw": hell, I'd love to see an "outlaw" come out and praise Chet Atkin's playing, production and the whole establishment. Bet that'd go over with the pissed off rebel fans about as well as a fart in church)

• Members

My wife and I like the voice and dig Blake as a host/judge. He's a cool guy.

David I agree...not the best performance. BUT, honestly not the worst either. I just thought it was (vocally) meh whatever. If I were listening to a country station it would blend right in with all the rest of the country/pop type stuff on the radio. Most of it "I wouldn't turn my chair around for" either and many of them are very popular hits (in the country circles). That kind of stuff typically doesn't blow you away IMO.

Now on stage, based on what I've seen, Blake flat out sucks. Sorry for you Blake Shelton Live fans out there...just my opinion. The only times I've seen him were on the show so admittedly I'm being judgemental based on a small sample size...but he's done enough to deter me from ever buying his concert tickets that's for sure. I agree that it's probably rooted in that he doesn't have his guitar like he's used to, but the guy looks totally goofy and awkward up there for whatever reason. He DEFINITELY doesn't LOOK like a star on stage. It's almost embarassing to watch him flop around like such a goon up there. :facepalm:

As for his success, I think it's probably mostly song choice. He's certainly not a bad singer but he's not amazing either. He certainly doesn't appear to be a great performer from what I've seen. He picks great songs. He looks the part. He has a great personality. IMO there are lots of country artists (and artists in every genre) that fall into that catagory.

• Members

The only times I've seen him were on the show so admittedly I'm being judgemental based on a small sample size.

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm trying to avoid.

Why not give him the benefit of the doubt and see him in his true element before making the judgement? I think him being on the show is probably not good for his career overall.

• Members

I think him being on the show is probably not good for his career overall.

Really? whys that? The guy is probably more well-known and more popular than ever due to that show. It will probably help extend his career out longer and more broadly than it would otherwise. 10 - 20 years from now when he's playing Vegas or Branson fulltime he won't only be "Blake Shelton, Country Star of the 00s" but he'll also be able to help pack the room by being "Blake Shelton, Judge from TV's "The Voice".

There's got to be a million people out there like my wife who is now a fan of HIM, even if she doesn't really care for his music that much. And she had never even HEARD of the guy before that show.

• Members

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm trying to avoid.

Why not give him the benefit of the doubt and see him in his true element before making the judgement? I think him being on the show is probably not good for his career overall.

Yeah I don't disagree with giving someone the benefit...but he's done enough on that show to deter me from wanting to pursue seeing him in his true element. I know it's not really fair to him as an artist...but that's the way it goes when you make yourself look (let's call a spade a spade) like a shitty performer on national TV. Luckily for him I'm not his judge and juror. He has 10,000,000 other fans to buy his records and tickets.

Now I'm gonna go listen to All About Tonight...one of the Blake gems on my iPod. ;)

• Members

Really? whys that? The guy is probably more well-known and more popular than ever due to that show. It will probably help extend his career out longer and more broadly than it would otherwise. 10 - 20 years from now when he's playing Vegas or Branson fulltime he won't only be "Blake Shelton, Country Star of the 00s" but he'll also be able to help pack the room by being "Blake Shelton, Judge from TV's "The Voice".

There's got to be a million people out there like my wife who is now a fan of HIM, even if she doesn't really care for his music that much. And she had never even HEARD of the guy before that show.

Agree completely, aside from the reason I gave in my last post. The only downside from him being on the show is he's showed himself (real or not) as a pretty crappy live performer.

• Members

"Loss leader" branding.....

Now if only the sales team could find a way to sell Blake, and not his muisc, he'd be set!!!!

I do recognize certain phenomena, summed up generally as: "all publicity is good publicity", but I think showing his musical performances in a generally-accepted poor light outweighs the benefits of showing his personality to people.

At the end of the day, Blake's job is to sell his music. I think he made a poor career decision. Unless of course he has upcoming acting roles, tv appearances. In that case, I reverse my opinion. Liking Blake but finding his music or talent lacking? How in the hell will that help him sell more records, outside of the novelty "blip" of sales that always occurs in these situations.

Archived