Modern Country Fans---explain Blake Shelton to me?

• Members

Agree completely, aside from the reason I gave in my last post. The only downside from him being on the show is he's showed himself (real or not) as a pretty crappy live performer.

Yeah, but I doubt his fans care and I would imagine/hope the rest of his "performance" balances out with the non-fans. His main appeal on the show is his personality as a judge.

I certainly don't think his singing on the show is going to hurt any of his record or ticket sales.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

"Loss leader" branding.....

Now if only the sales team could find a way to sell Blake, and not his muisc, he'd be set!!!!

I do recognize certain phenomena, summed up generally as: "all publicity is good publicity", but I think showing his musical performances in a generally-accepted poor light outweighs the benefits of showing his personality to people.

At the end of the day, Blake's job is to sell his music. I think he made a poor career decision. Unless of course he has upcoming acting roles, tv appearances. In that case, I reverse my opinion. Liking Blake but finding his music or talent lacking? How in the hell will that help him sell more records, outside of the novelty "blip" of sales that always occurs in these situations.

I think the positives of being on national TV twice a week far outweigh the negatives of a couple of not-so-hot performances on national TV.

• Members

Yeah, but I doubt his fans care and I would imagine/hope the rest of his "performance" balances out with the non-fans. His main appeal on the show is his personality as a judge.

I certainly don't think his singing on the show is going to hurt any of his record or ticket sales.

I didn't say being on there would hurt sales...see my post above about the good far outweighing the bad.

But you can't deny that crappy performances, even if it's only a couple short minutes, are a downside to "being on the show."

And honestly who cares what his fans think? They're already his fans dude. They probably loved the performances. But the performances certainly did nothing in the way of attracting new fans to swarm out for Blake Shelton Live this Saturday night at XXX Venue.

• Members

But the performances certainly did nothing in the way of attracting new fans...

Exactly my point.

And record sales are down; people generally need more "push" to buy music than ever before in recorded music history. Aside from the impulse-buying, novelty idiots, I'd think that a goodly amount of people are going to want to be impressed by a performance before going and buying a "new" (to them) artist's CD. I know my girlfriend thinks this way: I've seen it happen from these shows.

Give a great vocal and you get people rushing to buy your music. It happens for the contestants all the time. So why shouldn't this be the case with celeb judges on "The Voice"? Look no further than American Idol to see how this has worked over the years: I mean, William Hung at the end of the day sold a pretty good amount of records...just for sucking so badly it was funny. :facepalm:

• Members

Now if only the sales team could find a way to sell Blake, and not his muisc, he'd be set!!!!

As others have pointed out, he's a Country POP star. At least half of what he's selling IS him and not the music. You think he'd be up there singing those songs or have even gotten a record deal if he looked like ME?

At the end of the day, Blake's job is to sell his music.

It's at least as much the other way around: the music's job is to help sell Blake Shelton. Modern country guys like him are all about the image and the music is all designed to be just an extension of that. "Kiss my Country Ass" and all that.

I think he made a poor career decision. Unless of course he has upcoming acting roles, tv appearances. In that case, I reverse my opinion.

I don't think there's any DOUBT of that. You think he went on this show just because of his love for MUSIC? It's just all part of what is probably Blake Shelton, Inc. Look for him to star as the dad in some made-for-TV movie about a little girl who loses her dog, or something similar, next.

Liking Blake but finding his music or talent lacking? How in the hell will that help him sell more records, outside of the novelty "blip" of sales that always occurs in these situations.

"Novelty blips" are cash-in-the-pocket. And people who like HIM might decide to see his live show just to see HIM even if they don't care so much about the music.

• Members

And honestly who cares what his fans think? They're already his fans dude. They probably loved the performances. But the performances certainly did nothing in the way of attracting new fans to swarm out for Blake Shelton Live this Saturday night at XXX Venue.

Well, that's the chance he takes in being crappy, I suppose. But still, it isn't going to drive AWAY anyone from his shows. And, even WITH a couple of crappy live performances tossed in, I have little doubt that him being on TV 3 hours a week for several months can't do anything but HELP ticket sales.

• Members

And record sales are down; people generally need more "push" to buy music than ever before in recorded music history. Aside from the impulse-buying, novelty idiots, I'd think that a goodly amount of people are going to want to be impressed by a performance before going and buying a "new" (to them) artist's CD. I know my girlfriend thinks this way: I've seen it happen from these shows.

Again, I'm no expert on modern country or Blake Shelton, but just taking a quick look at his discography and his record's chart positions and sale figures, it looks pretty clear that being on "The Voice" the last two years has done more to help his record sales than hurt them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_Shelton_discography

• Members

I think the shows are going to all IEMs now due to the Stage production fact of all of it. You set a lead singer up at center stage with wedges, but they are all over the stage and the mix isnt the same. Give them IEMs and get a constant mix. The problem is, NBC's sound crew obviously sucks. There has been too many of the singers taking their monitors out during their performance.

As to Blake, he has just recently become a part of the Nashville machine so to speak. His older stuff was absolutely awesome. His sound has just kind of changed as the genre has started changing. In a world of a lot of POP COUNTRY and "fake" country singers. You sometimes have to adjust to what's selling.

As a country artist myself, there is some stuff I absolutely dispise playing on stage, but, it is mainstream and folks love it. Especially the females. Even if you listen to some of George Strait's new stuff, it isnt signature George. I honestly didnt buy the last album because of the sound of it. Now mind you, songs are still going number one and he is helping his son's career by writing songs with him and putting them on the radio, but george isnt at his best right now, IMO.

Alan Jackson to me is an example of someone who has stayed honky tonk, if you will, all the way through. His new single is even more of a throwback to his old stuff.

Just my two cents. Blake is a great artist, but i do agree that this show might not be the best thing for his career. Even if your are better than anyone out there, that much exposure will push sales at first but quickly tire people out. Mainly why artist have to put out an album a year. The radio plays the piss out of these records until people cant stand it anymore. It needs to go back to the days when artist made RECORDS, not SINGLES. There is nothing I love more than being able to sit down, pop in a cd, and listen all the way through and never want to change a song. As controverisal as he is, Eric Church does a great job of this nowadays.

• Members

It needs to go back to the days when artist made RECORDS, not SINGLES.

I don't see that happening anytime soon. It's all about the "download" and the hit song. I don't know when, if ever, we'll get back to people making ALBUMS except to serve as a collection of singles.

• Members

I don't see that happening anytime soon. It's all about the "download" and the hit song. I don't know when, if ever, we'll get back to people making ALBUMS except to serve as a collection of singles.

Nobody wants to pay for what they can download for free. Ask the movie studios how that works, and why Netflix is doing well but they aren't?

Digital content as it becomes more pervasive will also lose all of its perceived value. We just plain take for granted the hard work and effort that goes into creating digital media, and it will bite us in the ass as an artless, shallow morally bankrupt society.

• Members

Nobody wants to pay for what they can download for free. Ask the movie studios how that works, and why Netflix is doing well but they aren't?

That's a bit different topic, but the industry seems to be slowly-but-surely finding it's way in the new paradigm. One way seems to be, rather ironically, by focusing ON singles instead of albums. Yeah, a lot of people might 'steal' the new Blake Shelton album rather than pay $13.99 for it at WalMart, but going to all the trouble to steal his new single rather than pay 99 cents for it on iTunes? Less people are going to bother with that. If I want to hear the new Blake Shelton single, why bother going to all the trouble to steal it when I can download it legally on my phone for a buck in a few seconds? So I think we've probably reached the bottoming-out of the illegal-download era. Now it's just about scraping by in the existing paradigm.

I wouldn't be surprised if we soon see the day where artists no longer release albums at all, and just put out a new single every couple of months. Except that albums are still a pretty cheap way to bring in some extra revenue. Especially when not much thought or effort is put into them any longer.

We've pretty much gone back to the 1950s and the early days of the LP. All the focus back then was on the single and labels would put out a new Elvis LP pretty much as an afterthought--they'd just have him go in and record a bunch of throwaway tracks quickly so there'd be some product with which they could milk a few more dollars out of his hardcore fans. If there turned out to be some good tracks in there...great. But the artistic focus was on the singles and trying to make every one a #1 hit.

Then the album era comes along suddenly you don't need a #1 single to sell an album. Artists like Led Zeppelin didn't need singles at all and they could focus on presenting themselves and their image over the course of 40 minutes.

Now we're back to the singles era again and everything about the artist needs to be expressed in a 3-minute single that will hopefully go to #1. Otherwise, nobody is even going to think about buying the album. So the songs end up being simpler and cheesier very often.

• Members

Well, that's the chance he takes in being crappy, I suppose. But still, it isn't going to drive AWAY anyone from his shows. And, even WITH a couple of crappy live performances tossed in, I have little doubt that him being on TV 3 hours a week for several months can't do anything but HELP ticket sales.

No, it won't drive anyone who's already going AWAY...they're already his fans and must like his awkward bouncing around. But it certainly could DETER new people from checking him out, especially live. Like I said, it's such a MINOR downside which is far outweighed by the popularity he surely gained from being on the show, but lousy public performances aren't a GOOD thing no matter how you spin it.

I think generally we see eye to eye on this fricken BS (Blake Shelton) :lol:

• Members

I do recognize certain phenomena, summed up generally as: "all publicity is good publicity", but I think showing his musical performances in a generally-accepted poor light outweighs the benefits of showing his personality to people.

At the end of the day, Blake's job is to sell his music.
I think he made a poor career decision
. Unless of course he has upcoming acting roles, tv appearances. In that case, I reverse my opinion. Liking Blake but finding his music or talent lacking? How in the hell will that help him sell more records, outside of the novelty "blip" of sales that always occurs in these situations.

So did Adam Levine make a poor career decision by being on the voice? I don't think his band was real happy about it until "Moves like Jagger" sold 7 million downloads. Suddenly they are bigger than ever.

• Members

So did Adam Levine make a poor career decision by being on the voice? I don't think his band was real happy about it until "Moves like Jagger" sold 7 million downloads. Suddenly they are bigger than ever.

The one album Shelton has released since being on "The Voice" has become both his first #1 country album AND his first #1 pop album and the first 3 singles from it have all been #1 country singles as well.

So I don't reallly see how it's hurting his career....

• Members

hell, I'd love to see an "outlaw" come out and praise Chet Atkin's playing, production and the whole establishment. Bet that'd go over with the pissed off rebel fans about as well as a fart in church)

You apparently don't listen to much Outlaw Country on Sirius XM. Chet is one of their godfathers of the Grand Old Opry in certain circles and is held in very high regard.

• Members

Just give into the fact that it is a different genre. Same name, different genre

Oh, I agree. I just don't I like the "different genre" anymore than I like Nickelback or Dave Matthews even though it's still called "rock." I find it contrived and formulaic and waaaayyyy too slick.

And most of the guys I mentioned before are not traditional country (though I like a lot of it), they're alt and outlaw country for the most part.

• Members

Umm...first of all...where did you hear Maroon 5 was upset with him for being on the Voice? I never heard anything about that. :confused:

Second, they were already HUGE before the Voice ever came about. Of course Jagger was/is a massive hit and they are indeed bigger than ever and the show obviously helped a ton, but they won Grammys and had number 1 hits before Jagger or the voice. Far from "suddenly being huge."

• Members

Umm...first of all...where did you hear Maroon 5 was upset with him for being on the Voice? I never heard anything about that.
:confused:

Second, they were already HUGE before the Voice ever came about. Of course Jagger was/is a massive hit and they are indeed bigger than ever and the show obviously helped a ton, but they won Grammys and had number 1 hits before Jagger or the voice. Far from "suddenly being huge."

I think I read it in Rolling Stone magazine IIRC. Blake Shelton was also a star before "the voice". I just thought Wade was wrong about it being a bad career choice.

• Members

please excuse any of my grammar and or spelling mistakes.

Don't beat yourself up! :) Only about 9 or so and most minor. Always good to hear from a country artist in a country thread!:thu: (and good to hear perspectives of non-country artists, too- at least we're not talking about dead classic rawk:)).

• Members

Umm...first of all...where did you hear Maroon 5 was upset with him for being on the Voice? I never heard anything about that.
:confused:

True. But also, their third album, Hands All Over was having lackluster sales before the release of the 4th single "Moves Like Jagger". From wiki:

On the Billboard 200, the album debuted at number two, which despite a high placement sold a relatively weak 142,000 copies, compared to their previous effort, which debuted at number-one with 429,000 copies. In the second week, it dropped to #9. The album has, so far, sold 1,000,085 copies in the US. In November 2010 the album was certified Gold by RIAA, denoting a sales of at least 500,000 copies in the United States. In a recent interview with Billboard, Maroon 5 guitarist James Valentine expressed some frustration in the lackluster sales of the band's latest album 'Hands All Over' and says a new album may be coming sooner than was originally planned. "Of course we could have liked it to have done better so far," Valentine told Billboard, "It hasn't sold at the pace that our previous records did." The lack of response to the latest record has the band thinking about recording another album sooner than they originally planned, but according to Valentine "that may not be a bad thing". On the week of September 24, 2011, the album returned to the top 10 for the first time since its second week on the chart last October, climbing from number 23 to number 7 with 29,000 copies sold. The album returned to the top-ten, due to the four-day $6.99 sale price in the iTunes Store and the "Moves Like Jagger" success. This is the album's best sales frame since its second chart week and highest rank since it debut.

"The Voice" concluded it's first season on June 29th, 2011. "Jagger" was released as a single June 21st, the same day Maroon 5 sang it on the show. So yeah. The show has helped a ton.

• Members

I think it's his presence on stage and personality. Sometimes when you've had a string of #1 hits, the next one(s) go to #1 because of the previous songs whether it deserves it or not.

Other times, there are just no competing songs at the time, so a mediocre song by a star gets #1 billing.

• Members

True. But also, their third album, Hands All Over was having lackluster sales before the release of the 4th single "Moves Like Jagger". From wiki:

On the Billboard 200, the album debuted at number two, which despite a high placement sold a relatively weak 142,000 copies, compared to their previous effort, which debuted at number-one with 429,000 copies. In the second week, it dropped to #9. The album has, so far, sold 1,000,085 copies in the US. In November 2010 the album was certified Gold by RIAA, denoting a sales of at least 500,000 copies in the United States. In a recent interview with Billboard, Maroon 5 guitarist James Valentine expressed some frustration in the lackluster sales of the band's latest album 'Hands All Over' and says a new album may be coming sooner than was originally planned. "Of course we could have liked it to have done better so far," Valentine told Billboard, "It hasn't sold at the pace that our previous records did." The lack of response to the latest record has the band thinking about recording another album sooner than they originally planned, but according to Valentine "that may not be a bad thing". On the week of September 24, 2011, the album returned to the top 10 for the first time since its second week on the chart last October, climbing from number 23 to number 7 with 29,000 copies sold. The album returned to the top-ten, due to the four-day $6.99 sale price in the iTunes Store and the "Moves Like Jagger" success. This is the album's best sales frame since its second chart week and highest rank since it debut.

"The Voice" concluded it's first season on June 29th, 2011. "Jagger" was released as a single June 21st, the same day Maroon 5 sang it on the show. So yeah. The show has helped a ton.

Meh...album sales are suffering across the board I'd bet, especially when you compare back to even a few years ago (i.e. compare to their previous albums) when more people were actually buying CDs. Their "being huge" wasn't sudden, that was my main point.

I actually dig Hands All Over, and all of their other albums. One of my favorite modern bands, and I really only like a few.

• Members

Originally Posted by tcrewsman

It needs to go back to the days when artist made RECORDS, not SINGLES.

Almost all pop and country artists in the beginning started out making singles. In the 50s and early 60s, they didn't make an album until they demonstrated that they could sell one or hits. The template of recording an album and seeing if they had a hit was a construct that didn't occur until the later 60s. If anything, things are somewhat returning to the way they started out.