"Unauthorized" posting of band videos....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a double-edged sword. You want to put out your best for potential clients, so you produce clean video with good sound, perfect playing, perfect singing, etc.

An audience-shot video will actually show a potential client what you bring to the table without the polish of editing.

Honesty would require you to leave the 'unauthorized' video alone, since that's what your band brought to the table for that gig. It's an honest representation of that gig, where a heavily-produced edited video isn't.

• Members

no your missing my point you have no control what people can put on the internet.

bottom line is your band had bad performance on a particular song and the camera man caught it.

If the shoe were reversed and you were the camera man trying present work as a camera man to potential customers would you pull your video work if you were ask ?

Oh in this case, yes I would. I compare it to the crowd photos we have online which we use to promote ourselves by showing how fun our gigs are. Occassionally we'll have people ask us to take down a photo of them they don't want online: we gladly comply. And, as I said, this guy was really cool and really liked the band. I'd be surprised if he didn't take it down if I asked. But having watched it a couple of times, I don't think I will.

• Members

Be disappointed if you guys turned up when I was expecting them

:lol: Yeah I've seen this video before. Pretty good.

That brings up ANOTHER topic, perhaps. These guys didn't exist when we started using the name 3 years ago. At least not that I was aware of. I did as much research into the "JumpStart" name and concluded we had the region to ourselves. Now these guys are working using the name out of Southern California and we're up here. Two fairly separate markets, but still kinda close. We did get a call from someone in LA asking if we were available for a gig a few months ago and thought it was odd at the time. I wonder if he thought he was contacting them...

• Members

I don't care if the video or even audio is from a live public performance. I cannot control that. It's when a now former band member posted some tunes from a rehearsal without my knowledge that I got pissed off about. :mad: A rehearsal is not something I want posted on the internet unless I say it's ok. To this day he still doesn't understand why I was pissed off about it....:facepalm:

• Members

It's an honest representation of that gig,

This is where I start to have some issue. I don't believe that most video shot IS an honest representation of a gig. All it does is capture a very narrow perspective of a particular point in time at a gig. There's always so much more 'atmosphere' and energy and stuff going on when you're there than what a camera held in one position can usually convey.

So, like JimiV, I'm always much more apt to invite people to shows if they want to check out the band live rather than send them some dodgy video clip.

• Members

I am more impressed than I anticipated being.

Thanks. Yeah, like I've been saying since the start, the clip doesn't SUCK--it just doesn't convey the 'energy' and 'fun' that I want all our promo to have---or even as much energy and fun as that gig was.

The point of the thread is really about the general topic of having "unauthorized" stuff out there, rather than this particular video. I've seen clips of us end up on peoples' Facebook pages and such after we've played their events, and that's all fine generally. This was the first time I'd seen somebody go to the trouble to edit it and produce it in a manner to use it as a cross-promotion for both himself and our band. I'm certain he believes he's doing us a favor (he sent us the link) -- I'm just not so sure he is, is all.

I really do like the shot he got of our video screen through the doorway at the end. I thought that was really cool. If that's what it looked like to anyone who might have been walking by, that would have pretty awesome.

• Members

Thanks. Yeah, like I've been saying since the start, the clip doesn't SUCK--it just doesn't convey the 'energy' and 'fun' that I want all our promo to have---or even as much energy and fun as that gig was.

The point of the thread is really about the general topic of having "unauthorized" stuff out there, rather than this particular video. I've seen clips of us end up on peoples' Facebook pages and such after we've played their events, and that's all fine generally. This was the first time I'd seen somebody go to the trouble to edit it and produce it in a manner to use it as a cross-promotion for both himself and our band. I'm certain he believes he's doing us a favor (he sent us the link) -- I'm just not so sure he is, is all.

I really do like the shot he got of our video screen through the doorway at the end. I thought that was really cool. If that's what it looked like to anyone who might have been walking by, that would have pretty awesome.

I can see what you mean. It especially changes things when they're using your video for business.

• Members

I can see what you mean. It especially changes things when they're using your video for business.

• Members

Oh boy. Just though of something. A lot of times when you link YouTube videos, the places it's linked are tracked. I hope you haven't just set yourself up for an uncomfortable conversation. Might want to check into that.

• Members

Oh boy. Just though of something. A lot of times when you link YouTube videos, the places it's linked are tracked. I hope you haven't just set yourself up for an uncomfortable conversation. Might want to check into that.

Good point. I'm not worried though. I don't think I've said anything here I'd feel uncomfortable about anybody seeing.

• Members

I've never heard of a bass string even breaking much less THREE of them!

Holy cow!! Was it a burr in your bridge?

One was a burr on a bridge saddle, one was for unknown reasons (but fairly old string) and one happened right after the singer played my bass at a gig.

• Members

Good point. I'm not worried though. I don't think I've said anything here I'd feel uncomfortable about anybody seeing.

And I suppose too that even in the worst case scenario, if you couldn't handle the occasional uncomfortable conversation you wouldn't be a musician. And like you said, your points are all pretty understandable.

• Members

And I suppose too that even in the worst case scenario, if you couldn't handle the occasional uncomfortable conversation you wouldn't be a musician. And like you said, your points are all pretty understandable.

Yeah, I don't think I've said anything uncomplimentary about the videographer---I think the video is well shot (the colors and the lighting came through very nicely) and the audio is fine, and I believe his intentions are good and would certainly thank him for the effort. And he was a nice guy. The only negative stuff I think I've said was about his subject matter. And that's certainly not HIS fault if we're all standing there looking rather glum through the entire clip.

• Members

Yeah, I don't think I've said anything uncomplimentary about the videographer---I think the video is well shot (the colors and the lighting came through very nicely) and the audio is fine, and I believe his intentions are good and would certainly thank him for the effort. And he was a nice guy. The only negative stuff I think I've said was about his subject matter. And that's certainly not HIS fault if we're all standing there looking rather glum through the entire clip.

Dave in all honesty, the video is fine. I just rolled out of the sack , i havent had my first cup of joe and I was lookin for some big gaff. The problem seems to be you. ya GOTTA understand that this is a video of someones wedding. You and your band are not the main event. Its not all about you, its about the couples wedding and the guy who is selling his service as a video guy. You are really over reacting on this. Chill brother it was fine. That short clip isnt the most important thing in that video. Its more a ,, oh yea I need a picture of the band... and he shot one.

• Members

Dave in all honesty, the video is fine. I just rolled out of the sack , i havent had my first cup of joe and I was lookin for some big gaff. The problem seems to be you. ya GOTTA understand that this is a video of someones wedding. You and your band are not the main event. Its not all about you, its about the couples wedding and the guy who is selling his service as a video guy. You are really over reacting on this. Chill brother it was fine. That short clip isnt the most important thing in that video. Its more a ,, oh yea I need a picture of the band... and he shot one.

Again, I've said from the very first post that this thread is more about the general concept of people using "unauthorized" clips rather than this particular one and that I didn't really see the use of this clip to be a big deal one way or the other.

• Moderators

Anyone ever have random people post live video of your band? If so, do you do anything about it? Do you care?

Yes. It doesn't really bother me. Even if it isn't all great, it wouldn't be worth the bother of trying to manage it. :idk:

Archived