"Unauthorized" posting of band videos....

• Members

Anyone ever have random people post live video of your band? If so, do you do anything about it? Do you care?

Just saw today that the videographer at the wedding we played at last weekend posted a couple of minutes of video of us on YouTube. I'll probably just leave it in this case because while there are some things I don't like about it (couple of pitchy vocals in spots, that sort of thing) it at least looks better and has better sound quality than the live stuff I'm able to shoot. And I doubt many people will see it on his site anyway.

But being the control freak that I am about the way my band is presented (the live video I post here isn't really for public consumption. It's strictly for those of us hanging out "backstage"....) I'm tempted to ask him to pull it down. I'm sure he would if I asked.

Not a big deal either way at this point...just curious if any of you have ever run across this sort of thing...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I saw a little bit of video (like a 20 second snippet) on someone's Facebook page once. It didn't sound the best since it was taken from a cell phone (e.g. distorted audio) and I did cringe when I heard it, but I figured it was something small, so I let it go. We put up a couple of videos on YouTube months ago, but they no longer apply since the band members have changed a bit.

It's more fun to see photos that were not taken by my wife or my other photographer. They sometimes capture moments I never would have seen otherwise. But yeah, I've been pretty picky about what I'm going to post for video lately, so I hope other people don't post too many videos of us. On the one hand, it's flattering, because someone wanted to share our 'greatness' with the world (ha), but on the other hand, that 'greatness' is probably not what I want as a representation of what we do.

• Members

I don't think its a good idea for vids to be posted without your permission

But, I am a control freak, so YMMV.

All of our youtube stuff is private.

It is hard to control what other people do though.

• Members

it's worse when a member of the band posts an hour of unedited footage of a live concert we played to a couple of dozen people at a festival. He thought it was cool with the various flaws and that the flaws gave it an "in concert feel." It's filmed from 100 feet back and it is obvious that there is no crowd. It cost us a gig because another promoter found it and said we had no energy. We were playing to an empty park and a few squirrels plus various pissed off vendors who wanted to barbecue the festival promoter.

That member is no longer with the band but the videos are still on his youtube channel. My opinion is if it isn't on our website there's a reason it's not on our website.

• Members

hehe...as a matter of fact, a producer from the local Fox affiliate in Bawlmer recorded us doing Sympathy For The Devil at our last gig. he requested it, and I had heard it a million times, but never played it.

The bass player gave me the changes, and away we went. Luckily, he mentioned in the FB post that it was HIM singing off-key in the vid!

:D

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100896471306259&notif_t=video_reply

Whew...dodged a bullet there!

coward.gif

• Members

it's worse when a member of the band posts an hour of unedited footage of a live concert we played to a couple of dozen people at a festival. He thought it was cool with the various flaws and that the flaws gave it an "in concert feel." It's filmed from 100 feet back and it is obvious that there is no crowd. It cost us a gig because another promoter found it and said we had no energy. We were playing to an empty park and a few squirrels plus various pissed off vendors who wanted to barbecue the festival promoter.

hehe! Our bass player's dad comes to shows sometimes and records us. He has this annoying habit of "panning the crowd", even if there isn't one!

• Members

Nothing I hate more than videos will little/no crowd. Especially since we market ourselves as a "party" band! And, as I'm sure everyone has experienced, unless the dancefloor is PACKED, photos and videos almost always make the place look much less hopping than it really was. It's like camera lens somehow excenuate the empty spaces between people....

• Members

This is an interesting perspective. I'm on the other side, as a fan who uploads videos to You Tube all the time. However, because I'm a fan, I try to only upload the best ones. Why would I want a bad video to tarnish the band's image? Not that very many people even see my videos, but still... I use a little Panasonic camera, but the sound is decent (by my standards!). I've never had anyone in the band complain, and in fact, three of the six videos on their website are mine. :D

• Members

This is an interesting perspective. I'm on the other side, as a fan who uploads videos to You Tube all the time. However, because I'm a fan, I try to only upload the best ones. Why would I want a bad video to tarnish the band's image? Not that very many people even see my videos, but still... I use a little Panasonic camera, but the sound is decent (by my standards!). I've never had anyone in the band complain, and in fact, three of the six videos on their website are mine.

Maybe YOU should be our videographer! I certainly don't think this guy was trying to put up a bad video. He put it up with comments about how we "rock". And it's NOT 'bad'. He just doesn't have the same goals or intentions as I would have in putting up a video in the first place. And why would he? He barely knows us.

You being a fan of a band know the 'best' stuff they do and probably go out of your way to capture that on video and put that stuff up. This guy, being a videographer, was probably much more focused on his lighting and focus and camera angles than anything the band was actually doing. He DID capture a really cool shot of our video screen through the doorway and he zoomed out across the courtyard. If nothing else, I'll 'steal' that bit of the video back and use it myself!

• Members

I'm in favor of it. We want to keep our bar high, so fan videos allow us to get footage out there without having to worry about it being below our standards.

I'm not sure I understand this. If your standards are high, how does random video of your band taken with somebody's cellphone help keep your standards up?

• Members

I could careless myself but the publishing company, record company, and artist do care and they care enough to go lobby to the politicians to come up with some kind of laws against folks that use copyrighted material without their permission.

• Members

At the very least I would ask that correct attribution and contact information be given... If it's good. If not, ask that that the information be removed and the faces blurred!

OT- One time I hired a professional videography outfit to film us at a town festival type stage. I asked if they had video taped live bands before and arranged for a board feed to go along with a live feed. I got back the raw footage and without fail, anytime someone went into a solo they would zoom in on someone else, anyone else for the shot. That coupled with the constant crowd panning made it tough to get anything. But the sound was decent and our editor is nothing short of a magician!

• Members

Oh yeah.

There is footage of the intro of last year's show (Baba O Riley) and the A string slips and it's just god aweful.

The whole song is a power chord and half of that chord was out if tune (this is actually in last year's journal).

I'm sure it's some 12 year old girl w a camera phone that thinks its cool to film and upload just because of the technology.....

I'm not sure why an actual fan would think that was good....

The funny thingthat it doesn't show is me carefully tuning all 4 guitars for 15 minuetes JUST before we come on.

• Members

I'm not sure I understand this. If your standards are high, how does random video of your band taken with somebody's cellphone help keep your standards up?

Basically, there are enough things to consume our time that we don't make videos very often. But when we do, we want it to be of good to great quality, so that when it comes FROM US, people can maintain high expectations. If someone else posts it, we get some more live footage out there without having to be the ones to compromise. The fact that fan video exists is a bit of a feather in our cap anyway.

• Members

This is an interesting perspective. I'm on the other side, as a fan who uploads videos to You Tube all the time. However, because I'm a fan, I try to only upload the best ones. Why would I want a bad video to tarnish the band's image? Not that very many people even see my videos, but still... I use a little Panasonic camera, but the sound is decent (by my standards!). I've never had anyone in the band complain, and in fact, three of the six videos on their website are mine.

You would be the exception methinks. There is no shortage of crappy youtube videos of live bands posted by random fans. Its a tough issue, because most of the time fans are doing it to share their experience in a good way, but if viewed by a potential client, it can be the kiss of death. Trust me, potential clients go outside of your website and google your bandname. Any youtube videos come right up, (usually) I just don't like it, but that's just me. Why not just forward it to the band and tell them how much you liked it. If they want, they can make it part of their EPK.

Like I said, it is hard to control.

• Members

If someone else posts it, we get some more live footage out there without having to be the ones to compromise.

Right....but does the viewer see it that way? Are they going to look at video taken by somebody else and brush it off as "that's OK that it's substandard because somebody other than the band put it out there"? Or are they just going to view it and think "hmm....maybe that band isn't all the great...."?

• Members

This is an interesting and timely topic. I've worked hard to produce a ton of video that's handmade for public consumption. Yet if you search for us on You Tube the first video that shows up are bad camera phone video from 5-6 years ago where there are 1,000's of views. They were taken by people and posted. I don't mind they are out there, but I'd prefer that our newest videos we've produced as a band show up first.

This is one of the first that show...

[video=youtube;b5jk7YhXqqo]

And really would prefer they see this...

[video=youtube;1LStewWyRH0]

• Members

Right....but does the viewer see it that way? Are they going to look at video taken by somebody else and brush it off as "that's OK that it's substandard because somebody other than the band put it out there"? Or are they just going to view it and think "hmm....maybe that band isn't all the great...."?

They're going to think the second one, "hmm.....maybe that band isn't all (that) great..." If the viewer happens to be a potential booker, you will not hear from them. It's the kiss of death. Just like in every other quarter of business life, first impressions are everything.

• Members

They're going to think the second one, "hmm.....maybe that band isn't all (that) great..." If the viewer happens to be a potential booker, you will not hear from them. It's the kiss of death. Just like in every other quarter of business life, first impressions are everything.

• Members

Well you know pro touring artist and bands that gig way more then most of us. Get videoed every where they go and your worried over your wedding cover band. Sounds pretty silly to me that your so worried over some thing you really have no control of. Unless their slandering you. How about being more thankful for what you have.

Your singer could die tomorrow in a car wreck like mine did years ago.

Archived