"Unauthorized" posting of band videos....

• Members

Yes. It doesn't really bother me. Even if it isn't all great, it wouldn't be worth the bother of trying to manage it.
:idk:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Sure it'd be nice if all the videos of us that existed were professionally shot and edited, but that just ain't how the world works anymore. And I've enjoyed seeing most of the "informal" vids other people have shot of us. Have even posted a few here. :D

I think people "get" that these are supposed to be more like diaries meant to capture the moment, not a big production.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A question . . . . Is it a song author/title search that's getting you all targeted on Youtube? What would happen if you posted a medley of recognizable songs, but didn't include any text except the name of your band?

I know they have song recognition software that targets the first 30 seconds. What I see happening now is even if our song is titled "track 4" and we're playing The Doors then all of the other songs recommended on the page will be Doors songs so they definitely know the content.

• Members

I know about song recognition software from using original studio recordings as sound tracks for photo essays. They didn't catch a Sam Yahel track - not surprising - but did recognize John Scofield.

I'm wondering about covers, though. You'd think that a mediocre lo-fi version would be pretty hard to recognize . . . . .

• Members

I'm wondering about covers, though. You'd think that a mediocre lo-fi version would be pretty hard to recognize . . . . .

Depends on how they go about looking for them I guess. Prince is notorious for not allowing any of his stuff used online. The infamous story is one about a video of a little kid dancing to a barely-recognizable recording of "Let's Go Crazy" playing in the background and Prince insisting it be taken offline.

Where there's a will to find that stuff, there's a way I suppose....

Archived