"Unauthorized" posting of band videos....

• Members

Well you know pro touring artist and bands that gig way more then most of us. Get videoed every where they go and your worried over your wedding cover band. Sounds pretty silly to me that your so worried over some thing you really have no control of. Unless their slandering you. How about being more thankful for what you have.

Your singer could die tomorrow in a car wreck like mine did years ago.

That's kinda of a weird take. Do agree that it's hard if not impossible to control....maybe.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They're going to think the second one, "hmm.....maybe that band isn't all (that) great..." If the viewer happens to be a potential booker, you will not hear from them. It's the kiss of death. Just like in every other quarter of business life, first impressions are everything.

Simple solution don't suck live and you won't have to worry about this kiss of death.

Dave always here preaching this all the time about more dedication and hard work so you don't suck.

• Members

Right....but does the viewer see it that way? Are they going to look at video taken by somebody else and brush it off as "that's OK that it's substandard because somebody other than the band put it out there"? Or are they just going to view it and think "hmm....maybe that band isn't all the great...."?

Frankly, all we have to do is not suck. Hopefully some day we'll be to the point where we are the first YouTube cell phone video somebody has ever seen. But realistically, somebody watching a fan-made video of us, who hasn't seen us live before, is already going to have seen probably hundreds of these things and isn't going to think about the cell phone quality. They know they're all terrible.

Also important to note that the venues we deal with are usually providing the PA and sound guy, so those factors are somewhat within their control.

• Members

Well you know pro touring artist and bands that gig way more then most of us. Get videoed every where they go and your worried over your wedding cover band.

You're missing the point. U2 has established themselves in many ways and with millions of fans. A bad 'fan video' of them isn't going to mean anything. For those of us down here at the bottom who don't have 30 years of established touring, record sales and a fan base and for whom that bad video might be the first exposure we have with a potential client it's a whole different deal.

• Members

Simple solution don't suck live and you won't have to worry about this kiss of death.

Dave always here preaching this all the time about more dedication and hard work so you don't suck.

I have no problem inviting potential clients to a live gig in order to see us. In fact I try to encourage it. If we aren't playing soon enough for them in a public venue, I will invite them to rehearsal. Sort of a private showcase. We even provide a champagne pour for the potentials. If I was worried about "sucking live" probably wouldn't do that and wouldn't be doing this. I think some of the youtube stuff randomly posted suffers from defects that has nothing to do with how the band sounds "live". That's all I'm talking about.

• Members

Frankly, all we have to do is not suck. Hopefully some day we'll be to the point where we are the first YouTube cell phone video somebody has ever seen. But realistically, somebody watching a fan-made video of us, who hasn't seen us live before, is already going to have seen probably hundreds of these things and isn't going to think about the cell phone quality. They know they're all terrible.

I get what you're saying, but honestly...I think you give people too much credit. People see what they see and take it at face value. I don't believe people are going to look at a sucky cellphone video of a band they've never seen before and conclude "Oh, I'm sure they are REALLY a lot better than that, but since it's probably just shot on a cellphone, that's the reason this sucks so bad. so I'll hire them anyway.."

• Members

You're missing the point. U2 has established themselves in many ways and with millions of fans. A bad 'fan video' of them isn't going to mean anything. For those of us down here at the bottom who don't have 30 years of established touring, record sales and a fan base and for whom that bad video might be the first exposure we have with a potential client it's a whole different deal.

To expand a bit on my last post, We are in two different worlds. You guys and gals play private events almost exclusively. For those purposes, great sound is absolutely crucial. In our world, the sound is what the house sound guy gives us. We are booked because our music fits the bill and we can play it well. That's it.

• Members

Anyone ever have random people post live video of your band? If so, do you do anything about it? Do you care?

Just saw today that the videographer at the wedding we played at last weekend posted a couple of minutes of video of us on YouTube. I'll probably just leave it in this case because while there are some things I don't like about it (couple of pitchy vocals in spots, that sort of thing) it at least looks better and has better sound quality than the live stuff I'm able to shoot. And I doubt many people will see it on his site anyway.

But being the control freak that I am about the way my band is presented (the live video I post here isn't really for public consumption. It's strictly for those of us hanging out "backstage"....) I'm tempted to ask him to pull it down. I'm sure he would if I asked.

Not a big deal either way at this point...just curious if any of you have ever run across this sort of thing...

I am not sure that you can legally call it un authorized. Its a freekin wedding , and weddings have venders shooting video of the wedding, the reception, and the whole day for that matter. Having the band in that video comes with the territory.

You can bet he has a contract where he owns the rights to everything he did that day, including the still pictures and the video. The bride no doubt signed that contract. Just because you dont like it doesnt mean crap in court. Do you have a clause in your contract where you address pictures and videos of the band? I think you are just going to have to live with it. We got a video out there where where hotel california ran off the tracks for a measure where it got assed up by one member. I know it wasnt me ,,,because i remember that wtf is going on moment. its a live show show ,, {censored} happens. Get over it.

Its a damb good job on the song , ceptin that tiny flaw.

• Members

I am not sure that you can legally call it un authorized.

I know that. Hence the "quotation" marks in the thread title. I'm not looking to sue the dude or complain to YouTube. Like I said, at most I'd ask him to take it down and since he was a nice guy when we met him and real cool and all that, I presume he would. I was mostly just opening up a topic for conversation here. Like I said at the beginning, I don't think it's a real big deal in this case one way or the other. The video actually isn't all that bad.

Relax, dude.

• Moderators

Not a big deal either way at this point...just curious if any of you have ever run across this sort of thing...

It's a big problem for us. :(

We see a lot of our fans posting really crappy cell phone vids of us with bad sound and bad video too. We can't really bitch at our fans, so the only option is for us to make some vids that are so much better than the fan vids that they show up first in search.

Terry D.

• Members

It's got nothing to do with law suits FGS, Sheeeesh, or vanity ("get over yourself") It's about first impressions to potential clients who google you. Plain and simple. It IS a problem. Very relevant to bands looking for work who have EPKs AND "unauthorized" {censored}ty videos that do not represent what they sound like.

OT: Watching Kimmel Live here while talking to you knuckleheads and he is hilarious.

• Members

It's a big problem for us.
:(

We see a lot of our fans posting really crappy cell phone vids of us with bad sound and bad video too. We can't really bitch at our fans, so the only option is for us to make some vids that are so much better than the fan vids that they show up first in search.

Terry D.

It shows up first because it's posted last in time? Right?

• Members
It's a big problem for us.
:(

Terry D.

I also plan to use it as a 'teaching' moment for the band. The video is fine except for a bit at the beginning where the drummer has a glum look on his face and the bass player is singing while staring down at his shoes. Lesson? Be on the top of your game at all times. You never know who is going to be watching or taping and what you're doing at any moment might be the difference between getting that next gig or not.

• Members

:poke:

I also plan to use it as a 'teaching' moment for the band. The video is fine except for a bit at the beginning where the drummer has a glum look on his face and the bass player is singing while staring down at his shoes. Lesson? Be on the top of your game at all times. You never know who is going to be watching or taping and what you're doing at any moment might be the difference between getting that next gig or not.

"teaching moment"? You must be a hoot at rehearsal :poke:

• Members

Actually, in this case, I think it's the exact opposite. Dave is more concerned about creating a good impression for people who won't have a chance to see the band live, and whose are making a financial decision based almost entirely on the band's reputation and the caliber of their presentation. (Website, promo, etc).

I'm guessing that a lot of Dave's business is booked by clients who don't have a ton of experience dealing with bands, and probably aren't going to look too far beyond the surface. If a potential client stumbles across a badly-shot YT video that has a couple flubs....I'm guessing most potential clients would simply write them off the list of potential bands and move to the next name on the list.

Most bands are selling themselves to the general public, and playing at bars, clubs, and festivals....and in that case, just being good live is all that's needed. But most of Dave's gigs are corporate and/or private functions, which gives potential clients little or no opportunity to see the band in person. As such, it's very much in his best interests to at least be concerned about the quality of the video that's out there....because in many cases, that video presentation may be what ultimately decides whether or not his band is hired.

• Members

You'd think, right? Based on what I post around here a lot, I'm sure people do. Actually it's not like that at all. I'm not anything close to a dictator or authoritarian with the band. What will happen is the video will be shown to everyone, next time we get together we'll all inevitably talk about what we liked and didn't like about it and whether we think it should even be online or not, and when the "didn't like" stuff comes up, I'll simply say "that {censored} is gonna happen. So just keep that in mind and maybe don't DO that anymore..."

And that'll be it and we'll work on the stuff we need to work on and have a couple of beers and move on...

• Members

You'd think, right? Based on what I post around here a lot, I'm sure people do. Actually it's not like that at all. I'm not anything close to a dictator or authoritarian with the band. What will happen is the video will be shown to everyone, next time we get together we'll all inevitably talk about what we liked and didn't like about it and whether we think it should even be online or not, and when the "didn't like" stuff comes up, I'll simply say "that {censored} is gonna happen. So just keep that in mind and maybe don't DO that anymore..." And that'll be it and we'll work on the stuff we need to work on and have a couple of beers and move on...

Yeah and in my band when we get around to "should it be posted or not?" Guaranteed someone will not want to post it and thus the reason for us discussing this issue

• Members

:)

I know you were just poking at him, but:

Seriously though I'm pretty sure I get what he's saying. It's just hard to convey on here without coming off like you're some kind of dictator or "in control" or whatever. I suspect the whole band would want to see that and wouldn't need any "teaching". Could be wrong.

EDIT: Dave beat me to it....

• Members

Oh yeah.

There is footage of the intro of last year's show (Baba O Riley) and the A string slips and it's just god aweful.

The whole song is a power chord and half of that chord was out if tune (this is actually in last year's journal).

I'm sure it's some 12 year old girl w a camera phone that thinks its cool to film and upload just because of the technology.....

I'm not sure why an actual fan would think that was good....

The funny thingthat it doesn't show is me carefully tuning all 4 guitars for 15 minuetes JUST before we come on.

What happened to the A string exactly, if you don't mind?

I love hearing (if not experiencing) all the different ways a string can {censored} up.

I "love" it when the core just kinda gives way on a bass string and the string just kinda SAGS slowly off the bass! You'd think it would POP or something with all the tension but the bass strings I've busted have all just kinda fell off of there. LOL

Hey, maybe you can do a commercial for "Stay In Tune" strings or those graphite saddles LOL

(Disclaimer: I've only broken 3 bass strings ever but they all broke in about the same way, and on 3 different basses.)

• Members

I know that. Hence the "quotation" marks in the thread title. I'm not looking to sue the dude or complain to YouTube. Like I said, at most I'd ask him to take it down and since he was a nice guy when we met him and real cool and all that, I presume he would. I was mostly just opening up a topic for conversation here. Like I said at the beginning, I don't think it's a real big deal in this case one way or the other. The video actually isn't all that bad.

Relax, dude.

Dude i am totally relaxed. I understand that you have a professional image you like to have out there of your band because you do expensive weddings. and you like for people to see a band that measures up to your prices.

This video in your opinon falls a little short. Before I would ask him to take it down ,, i would play it for the band and say this doesnt measure up to what I want us to be. You cant blame the video for a part in a song thats pitchy. Every band has things like that out there floating around in cyber space.

I got a bad ass honky tonk piano part played by a guy who may well be in the top ten keyboard guys in the country that I am going to have to try to cover off this new CD thats droppin next month. There is no way in hell that i am going to be able to go note for note on the thing. Hopfully I can get it where it has the flavor of the thing and enough of the licks to get through it and make it fly in the live shows. Then you still have the issue of getting a clean pass through it. If i gaff somthing in a live show ,, I just put it in the rear view mirror.

• Members

no your missing my point you have no control what people can put on the internet.

bottom line is your band had bad performance on a particular song and the camera man caught it.

If the shoe were reversed and you were the camera man trying present work as a camera man to potential customers would you pull your video work if you were ask ?

Archived