Guitar processor/amp modeler questions

• Members

I'm a bit intimitated to go headlong into the guitar forums, so I thought I'd ask some of you guys here.

In addition to keys, I'm the 2nd guitarist in my group. I haven't played through an actual guitar amp in years. For a long time I played through a Zoom 9150. The last couple of years I've been using a Line 6 Pod Pro. Straight to a mixer and then to the FOH. No amp, no onstage speaker.

I thinking of getting another modeler. I'd like a one-space unit, and I'm not 100% happy with the Line 6 sounds. I don't use a ton of sounds---basically a clean tone, a semi-crunchy tone, and a big metal tone. And a couple of lead tone. That pretty much covers what I do. Just mostly rhythm stuff behind the other guy. Pretty basic stuff. I don't need the full spectrum of wild effects and tones and processing. I just want a good, solid 'classic' guitar tone. And I need a rack-mount unit, not a floor model.

So I'm looking at the Digitech GSP1101. Are there other one-space brands/models you'd recommend? And how does that one compare to some of the older models? Is the newer stuff that much better at getting basic tones? Or is mostly just fancier processing? I'd be fine with picking up a used, older model if it gets a great sound. Why spend more money than I have to, right?

Oh...and I'd like whatever I buy to have a tuner built in.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Axe fx is probably the best as far as sounding good. More than you need but I bet you could get an older version like the standard petty reasonable these days..

I have an axe fx II I use for recording mainly and it's the only thing I've heard tht approaches a real amp in the digital realm.. I still like a real amp live

• Members

Axe fx is probably the best as far as sounding good. More than you need but I bet you could get an older version like the standard petty reasonable these days..

I have an axe fx II I use for recording mainly and it's the only thing I've heard tht approaches a real amp in the digital realm.. I still like a real amp live

Probably overkill to spend that much on a rhythm guitar rig only needing 3-5 different sounds, but if you got the deaux...

There really aren't a whole lotta choices out there for rack multi's, so if you don't like the Line 6 sounds and don't want to spend a {censored}load of cash on an Axe, then the 1101 is probably what you want.

• Members

I am the r. guitarist/lead vocalist in my cover bands - and I use Digitech amp modeling products - the RP500 to be precise - which I believe has most if not all of the models and effects that the GSP 1101 has - only in a floor unit. I find the models useful for a wide variety of songs over several generations and genres of rock music. That unit coupled to my swiss army knife Mira covers about all the bases for me on any given gig.

• Members

GSP user here,get most everything I will ever need from it. Fine the mustbebeta site and you can upgrade it to a pretty flexible unit. Editing program is easy to use, and propriety controller is solid.

The other player in our band uses the line6 2 space unit. It's got useable tones in it too but the gsp is alot easier to dial in straight out front.

• Members

GSP user here,get most everything I will ever need from it. Fine the mustbebeta site and you can upgrade it to a pretty flexible unit. Editing program is easy to use, and propriety controller is solid.

The other player in our band uses the line6 2 space unit. It's got useable tones in it too but the gsp is alot easier to dial in straight out front.

Any thoughts on the 1101 vs older GSP models?

• Members

I use the 1101, too. It's a solid little unit. The tones are passable! I've had tube freaks not realize the sound I was making was coming completely from a modeler. :thu:

It's adaptable. I've used it as a complete rig (DI into mixer), as a preamp/effects with a separate power amp and cab and I've used an external preamp with the 1101 strictly as the effects loop. With the control 2, you have a lot of control at the feet. You can set the expression pedal to control whatever parameter you want. And the computer editor is great (the ability to backup tones is also very nice)

The one thing you cannot do with the 1101 is stack a ton of effects. It also doesn't have a lot of effects to choose from. Which, sounds like that would work fine for you.

Why does it have to be rackmount? That rules out a lot of options.

On the contrary, I think that opens up more options. Sure you can't use all those self contained floor units... but it makes it way easier to couple it with the wealth of rack gear out there. Not to mention those racks are nice and sturdy.

• Members

Why does it have to be rackmount? That rules out a lot of options.

Because it's one less thing I have to plug in and deal with if it is. If it's a floorpedal, then I've got to have a case for it, haul it around, find power for it, run audio, etc etc. If it's mounted in my rack and running through my rack mixer, then all I have to do is pop it in my wireless bud, turn it on and I'm good to go. The rack has to be wired up regardless because all my keys run through it.

• Members

My guitar instructor swears by the Line 6 HD Pro versus an Axe FX for value and quality. I've never used one, but they can be had for ~$400 give or take used and I'm sure if they sound as good as my M13 plus amp modeling I'd be sold as well. My opinion, take it but probably should leave it!

• Members

Here's what my setup currently looks like:

attachment.php?attachmentid=346636&d=134

I use the MidiBuddy on the floor to change programs on the Line 6 and I keep it plugged in and just close it up in the door of the rack. If there was a floorpedal model thin enough that I could do the same thing then I'd consider one of those as well. But most of the ones I've seen come with a footpedal that would make it too big to store in front of the rack.

• Members

Here's what my setup currently looks like:

attachment.php?attachmentid=346636&d=134

I use the MidiBuddy on the floor to change programs on the Line 6 and I keep it plugged in and just close it up in the door of the rack. If there was a floorpedal model thin enough that I could do the same thing then I'd consider one of those as well. But most of the ones I've seen come with a footpedal that would make it too big to store in front of the rack.

Nice that your unit came with a glass of wine, but then again you are in proximity with Sonoma and Napa Valley.:poke:

I have been using the Boss GT 10 for a couple of years now. You can midi-in/thru a foot controller with it if you have more stuff you need the controller for and I think the sounds are pretty good. I don't use any of the factory settings, but some of those are pretty good as well.

The Axe - fx is the God of rack modelers right now and it's price reflects that. Way more than you will ever use.

I've heard only good things about the Pods.

I used to use a Digitech modeler (GNX-4), but I thought the Boss simply sounded better. YMMV, of course.

• Members

Nice that your unit came with a glass of wine, but then again you are in proximity with Sonoma and Napa Valley.:poke:

:lol: Ironically, while 99 times out of 100 I could have taken that picture and you probably WOULD see a glass of wine in the shot, that particular beverage happens to be coffee.

I have been using the Boss GT 10 for a couple of years now. You can midi-in/thru a foot controller with it if you have more stuff you need the controller for and I think the sounds are pretty good. I don't use any of the factory settings, but some of those are pretty good as well.

That's what my guitarist uses on the way to his little Egnator amp. He's really happy with it. But again, I'm trying to keep it all tied up into one rack.

The Axe - fx is the God of rack modelers right now and it's price reflects that. Way more than you will ever use.

I've heard only good things about the Pods.

Yeah, even the new Line 6 Pod HD racks are like $699. Which is a bit more than I want to spend. Why they charge so much more for the rackmount units than the floor models? I dunno. I never even heard of the Axe-FX until today. I'm sure it's awesome. It better be for the price. If I was THE guitarist in the band I'd probably consider it. But really, I just need to chunk some chords behind the lead player on stuff like "Your Love" and "Pour Some Sugar On Me". That's thing has got to be WAY overkill for what I need.

• Members

The GSP1101 is what our guitarist (ned911 on here) uses. It's a great unit...I often forget that it's a modeler. He went to that from a PODxt Pro.

The Axe-FX is truly incredible, but way overkill for your needs and also ridiculously expensive, as is the Kemper. The Avid Eleven Rack is pretty great, too. I have and use the POD HD500 for bass and guitar stuff and I really like it a whole lot. A big improvement from earlier Line 6 stuff (though I have to admit I really liked my X3 Live, too).

I don't know how much of a cork-sniffer you are (seeing that you use a 1st-gen POD Pro means you probably aren't), or how much you feel the need to ahve the latest and greatest, but for your needs, I really do think the GSP1101 will be perfect - it sounds great and is flexible enough for what you want to do.

Plus you save a rack space...and a pile of money. :)

Good luck!

Brian V.

• Members

Because it's one less thing I have to plug in and deal with if it is. If it's a floorpedal, then I've got to have a case for it, haul it around, find power for it, run audio, etc etc. If it's mounted in my rack and running through my rack mixer, then all I have to do is pop it in my wireless bud, turn it on and I'm good to go. The rack has to be wired up regardless because all my keys run through it.

You'd still need some way to control it.

• Members

You'd still need some way to control it.

Midi switcher that folds up into my rack.

I like to keep things as compact and simple as possible. All of my cables--all audio and power cables for everything--- wind up into my rack and connect through there. I have three keyboards in separate cases and one of them includes all my keyboard foot pedals. I can set the whole thing up/tear it all down in well under 15 minutes. Even with everything that compact, I still feel like I carry around way too much stuff including stands, guitars, etc. I'd just really rather not have one more thing to deal with than I already do if I don't absolutely have to.

• Members

Midi switcher that folds up into my rack.

I like to keep things as compact and simple as possible. All of my cables--all audio and power cables for everything--- wind up into my rack and connect through there. I have three keyboards in separate cases and one of them includes all my keyboard foot pedals. I can set the whole thing up/tear it all down in well under 15 minutes. Even with everything that compact, I still feel like I carry around way too much stuff including stands, guitars, etc. I'd just really rather not have one more thing to deal with than I already do if I don't absolutely have to.

Under 15 minutes is pretty damn good! You win.

• Members

I can't deal with modeler's, none of them have yet to actually feel like you are playing a real amp.

The Axe-Fx is very good, but still just not quite there.

But to each his own, everyone has their preferences.

If you're going to go that route I do think the Line 6 stuff blows away the Boss line, though.

• Members

I think in this case he means someone who spends a lot of extra money just to have the best brand name.

Which is definiately not me.

Unless we're talking wines, of course.
;)

That's exactly what I meant. Once you get past a certain price point, the amount of improvement you get from buying the most expensive piece of gear is negligible, but there are still guys who refuse to use anything but the most expensive thing. I call them "cork-sniffers". Axe-FX and Kemper are the current darlings of the modeling cork-sniffer community, and though they are both great pieces of gear, they are very expensive for what you're getting, which is basically a one or two percent improvement in sound over a POD HD, which is 1/3 the price...

Brian V.

Archived