Guitar processor/amp modeler questions

• Members

That's exactly what I meant. Once you get past a certain price point, the amount of improvement you get from buying the most expensive piece of gear is negligible, but there are still guys who refuse to use anything but the most expensive thing. I call them "cork-sniffers". Axe-FX and Kemper are the current darlings of the modeling cork-sniffer community, and though they are both great pieces of gear, they are very expensive for what you're getting, which is basically a one or two percent improvement in sound over a POD HD, which is 1/3 the price...

Brian V.

Yeah, got it. I treat the Axe-fx the same way I do a 50 dollar bottle of wine. Go in, look at it, maybe even touch it. Wonder what it tastes like and then move on down to the cheaper stuff.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Any thoughts on the 1101 vs older GSP models?

Better Cabinet emulations, and you can get software to write your own cabs too.

I still have a GNX4 and a 2112,but it blows them away.the only thing the 2112 does is some effects better,but by the time they get to the FOH on any unit it seems to me they get washed from what your original idea was.

• Members

Midi switcher that folds up into my rack.

I like to keep things as compact and simple as possible. All of my cables--all audio and power cables for everything--- wind up into my rack and connect through there. I have three keyboards in separate cases and one of them includes all my keyboard foot pedals. I can set the whole thing up/tear it all down in well under 15 minutes. Even with everything that compact, I still feel like I carry around way too much stuff including stands, guitars, etc. I'd just really rather not have one more thing to deal with than I already do if I don't absolutely have to.

Just use one of your Keys to send midi commands and pull up your patches on your guitar unit. Then you dont have to carry a foot controller,just hit a key.

• Members

David,

I play in a cover band as well and use the 1101 with an external pre-amp as well. The modeling is pretty good and would work well in your situation.
As far as a controller i have used the midi buddy in the past, but i use the control 2 (also by digitech) and is made to pair up nicely with the 1101.
It measures 22" x 9" so it will not fit in your rack but is is much better built than the MB. I have a second small momentary (on/off) keyboard pedal hooked up to it as well which allows you to program a boost or other parameter when you stomp on it and then goes back to regular volume after you let it go. It is great for small solos or fills so you are punching a lot of buttons back and forth. There is also a pretty good selection of ready-made patches users have created on the user site.

• Members

hmmmm.....looking like the GSP1101 is the way to go for me. And if I (doh!) switch programs using one of the keyboards, so much the better.

I used to have the RP1000 which is the 1101 in a floor unit configuration. I have the original POD 2.0 and it's similar to your POD Pro. I never thought Line 6 had great modeler sounds.....they are very brittle and cold to my ears. The 1101 is the best modeler in the low price range. They sound pretty good and better than the POD stuff.

I've moved on to the Avid Eleven Rack which sounds even better, but you said you don't need all the effects and amp models.

The 1101 will be a good choice if you go with it.

• Members

It's not so much about the sound.....most of them sound decent, but it's more about the feel.

None of them can capture the feel of a real tube amp....

Agreed, but the latest generation is VERY close...and when you run the POD into the DT series amps (which are tube amps) you get all the flexibility benefits of modeling with the warmth and response of tube power and a real guitar speaker (which gives you the feel and the visceral experience).

Brian V.

• Members
I really think just bringing a tube combo with the 3 sounds you desire would be more simple than what you use now.

Plus it would sound better.

:wave:

And give up the complete volume control, racked portability, and extra flexibility of a modeler (no pedals required)? I think that's the wrong choice...and you know, it wouldn't necessarily sound better through FOH...it might feel better to play and sound better in his immediate area, but in a mix in a band like his I don't think it's a given that it'd sound better.

But that's just my opinion based on my experiences and what he seems to need...
Brian V.

• Members

it might feel better to play and sound better in his immediate area, but in a mix in a band like his I don't think it's a given that it'd sound better.

And we use IEMs anyway. Stage sound and feel are irrelevant and our overall goal is to decrease/eliminate stage volume to whatever degree possible. The bass player and I run direct with no stage amps. If I could get the guitarist to do the same thing, I would. Although his stage volume is very low so it's not that big a deal. I'd love to get the drummer to switch to e-drums as well, but that probably isn't going to happen either.

• Members

The new POD HD's are a pretty big improvement over the POD Pro's, but with that improvement comes a steeper learning curve.

This is what I was going to mention. I've heard some very favorable comments from some very hard-to-please people.

• Members

guido61, you don't have a lot of choices if you want a one-space unit.

The Digitech GSP1101 would undoubtedly be my first choice given your constraints.

I think there are a few other fairly recent one-space units (Lexicon, Rocktron and Peavey), but I have no experience with any of those.

Your options open up considerably if you allow for a second space.

The Fractal products might be good for you if you're really into sound design.

The Avid product might be good for you if you value simplicity.

The Line6 HD product might be good for you if you want ready access to a replacement unit darned near anywhere at any time.

• Members

It's not so much about the sound.....most of them sound decent, but it's more about the feel.

None of them can capture the feel of a real tube amp....

Well it's a good thing the audience doesn't need to feel the "squish" or the "bloom" or whatever else guitarists argue for using an amp over a modeler, innit? All you need is to get the general ballpark sound and you're fine.

I'm still using tube amps, but not out of any diva-like need to be "inspired" or to "feel it" or whatever, but rather, we're not at a point where I can trust that I'm going to get a consistent monitor mix from gig to gig. But we're getting closer, and some day I'll be able to trade in my 70-lb amps and all the crap that comes with it for a 10-lb modeler I can throw in my gig bag. Can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You're right, the audience won't know the difference.

I have an Axe-FX, but for me it just doesn't have the same feel as my real tube amps so I can't bond with it.

Speaking for myself only, if I can't enjoy playing then it is not worth it to me.

The convenience factor of the modelling stuff is amazing and I so want to use it, but it's just not quite there yet for me.

I might try the Kemper, though.

• Members

I'm pretty impressed that so many people in here are using modelers live. Is the main reason that you guys think they are just as good as amps, or it's more of just ease of transport, the audience doesn't know better, presets for each song, etc...???

Archived