music destinations vs bars

Kevin T

• Members

90% dont have a stage. hell, at one place we used to play we would have to move the tables ourselves. LOL. But they also used to put out a free pizza and wings buffet for the crowd and the pay was good. So it was a fair trade at the start of the night. the end of the night moving them back sucked though.

• Members

I don't think we've moved tables in quite a while. Now, back when I was playing in a cover band, most of the places had you 'pull up a peice of floor' - we also had to bring our own PA everywhere...

Right now, I'm enjoying stages and sound systems/engineers and just showing up with my rig and playing!

• Members

It's probably a 50/50 split for us - with 50% of the places simply providing an "area" for the band - and 50% of 'em with a stage that's raised (at least a little bit).  It's rare that we have to move tables.  It's far more common that we end up having to deal with DJ rigs left from the night before.  One of our regular venues has a DJ on Friday nights - who insists on leaving his rig in the middle of the stage at the end of the night.  It's the nearest to home joint we play - so we typically do on early (1 pm) set up when we're playing there.  Despite informing the DJ and the bar management about our planned setup times - the DJ still insists on leaving his rig (a 6 ft folding table with his gear on top of it) in the middle of the stage. 

Initially, management would call him - and we'd have to sit around for a half hour waiting for him to come in and move his gear.   However, after the 2nd or 3rd time, the manager happened to walk within earshot of the clown while he was on his cell phone - and heard him telling whoever he was talking to that he leaves it there just to f*ck with the bands.    The next time it happened - management basically told us to move it.  So we unplugged his rig - and gently piled it up in the middle of the dance floor.   Man was that DJ pissed when he sauntered in 30 minutes after the time he knew we would be there to find his gear struck from stage.   The manager immediately walked up and called him out on it - stating that he knew what time his gear needed to be moved by - and that it had been moved with his (the manager's) permission.    That was the last time we had that problem.

• Members

What a dick. There's no stages at the 2 main venues I provide sound. I setup on the dancefloor for one place, and the dance floor of the other as well.

The community hall puts up a stage, my band plays there often. The legion has a stage and the rodeo grounds has a stage as well.

• Members

I'm always leery of club sound. All too often the sound engineers are idiots. Stu at Q's pub was excellent. (A delightful exception that dropped the band's volume about 10 db. I always said we sounded better at lower volume. I enjoyed that night for so many reasons.) In a lot of cases, the sound system might be good enough but poorly set up. Club owners who are still clueless about sound, will provide a Behringer board for mixing. Yes it can work and having a solid engineer making it work at the best it can will help, but if you're unwilling to spend at least $1000 for a mixing board, you probably shouldn't bother with a club PA. (I would consider a MixWiz a minimum level board in a club. Pretty easy to go higher.) Generally we provide our own PA and rarely is there a stage big enough for our 7 piece band. (Our mixers cost more $1000.) I've really come to the conclusion that you can't buy a decent new PA for less than $3500. (And that would be a bit on the modest side.)

• Members

Here's the one place, i provide fot we take up about half of the dance floor:

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/5EED91AF-CDDE-4060-9393-D3E9546A5F95-637-00000045ADA54F53_zpsd609405c.jpg

And in action:

The another venue, we call The Pit, kind of an Anti-Stage

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/BDA0349C-89D5-4314-93D9-D496756CCD85-8984-000005A266BA6C2A_zps39cc8c10.jpg

And again, in action:

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Here's the one place, i provide fot we take up about half of the dance floor:

And in action:

The another venue, we call The Pit, kind of an Anti-Stage

And again, in action:

Cool setups... the spaces look big enough to accomodate the band and the audience too. 

Why do you have that center wedge turned to the audience? Center fill speaker? 

Archived