Garage Band Genre

TIMKEYS

• Members

Is there anyone who is doing this type of stuff.   Typical stuff that would have been covered by garage bands in the early to mid 60s prior to the soft 60s rock like grass roots , buckinghams, cryan shames etc.  We get invaded by winter texans and we started hitting some of that stuff with our roots/ classic rock show.  I think we are on to somthing.   Its raw , it rocks and it sells.   

• Moderators

? and the Mysterions

The Seeds

Los Bravos

Music Machine

Love it! This doesn't pertain to your question but... When my original power pop band had some success locally, I'm talking ancient history here, I was 19, I'm 54 now, we'd had a local release and been featured on American Bandstands rate a record and had great press, we needed to get out into the clubs. But with our originals and not be a typical cover band but fill 4 hours. And new wave dancing was in and... So we covered 60s garage rock. We worked all the time providing an alternative to the chart cover bands.

I love that stuff

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

Is there anyone who is doing this type of stuff.   Typical stuff that would have been covered by garage bands in the early to mid 60s prior to the soft 60s rock like grass roots , buckinghams, cryan shames etc.  We get invaded by winter texans and we started hitting some of that stuff with our roots/ classic rock show.  I think we are on to somthing.   Its raw , it rocks and it sells.   

My reentry back into the cover band world about 6 or 7 years ago was with a band that focused on garage rock/Nuggety stuff and early British Invasion stuff, along with some classic rock tracks from the 70s/80s . Here's some of the pre 70s stuff we did from an old songlist:

ALL DAY AND ALL OF THE NIGHT - The Kinks

ANY WAY YOU WANT IT - The Dave Clark Five

BLACK IS BLACK - Los Bravos

BORN TO BE WILD - Steppenwolf

BORIS THE SPIDER - The Who

CALIFORNIA SUN - The Rivieras

DEAD FLOWERS - The Rolling Stones

FOLSOM PRISON BLUES - Johnny Cash

GLORIA - Them

HARD DAY'S NIGHT - The Beatles

HEART FULL OF SOUL - The Yardbirds

I CAN'T EXPLAIN - The Who

JUST LIKE ME - Paul Revere and the Raiders

LOVE POTION #9 - The Searchers

MR. SPACEMAN - The Byrds

OUTSIDE CHANCE - The Turtles

PAINT IT BLACK- Stones

REAL WILD CHILD - Jerry Lee Lewis

ROAD RUNNER - Bo Diddly/The Who

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK - Bill Haley & the Comets

ROUTE 66 - The Rolling Stones

RUNAWAY - Del Shannon

SECRET AGENT MAN - Johnny Rivers

7 and 7 Is - Love

STEPPING STONE - The Monkees

SUBSTITUTE - The Who

SUMMERTIME BLUES - Eddie Cochran/The Who

SURF RIDER - The Lively Ones

SURFIN' BIRD - The Trashmen

TRAIN KEPT A ROLLING - The Yardbirds

We pretty much only played local dives for $200 to $300, but it all seemed to go over well and we could get a decent amount of people dancing.

• Members

paste wrote:

TIMKEYS wrote:

My reentry back into the cover band world about 6 or 7 years ago was with a band that focused on garage rock/Nuggety stuff and early British Invasion stuff, along with some classic rock tracks from the 70s/80s . Here's some of the pre 70s stuff we did from an old songlist:

ALL DAY AND ALL OF THE NIGHT - The Kinks

ANY WAY YOU WANT IT - The Dave Clark Five

BLACK IS BLACK - Los Bravos

BORN TO BE WILD - Steppenwolf

BORIS THE SPIDER - The Who

CALIFORNIA SUN - The Rivieras

DEAD FLOWERS - The Rolling Stones

FOLSOM PRISON BLUES - Johnny Cash

GLORIA - Them

HARD DAY'S NIGHT - The Beatles

HEART FULL OF SOUL - The Yardbirds

I CAN'T EXPLAIN - The Who

JUST LIKE ME - Paul Revere and the Raiders

LOVE POTION #9 - The Searchers

MR. SPACEMAN - The Byrds

OUTSIDE CHANCE - The Turtles

PAINT IT BLACK- Stones

REAL WILD CHILD - Jerry Lee Lewis

ROAD RUNNER - Bo Diddly/The Who

ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK - Bill Haley & the Comets

ROUTE 66 - The Rolling Stones

RUNAWAY - Del Shannon

SECRET AGENT MAN - Johnny Rivers

7 and 7 Is - Love

STEPPING STONE - The Monkees

SUBSTITUTE - The Who

SUMMERTIME BLUES - Eddie Cochran/The Who

SURF RIDER - The Lively Ones

SURFIN' BIRD - The Trashmen

TRAIN KEPT A ROLLING - The Yardbirds

We pretty much only played local dives for $200 to $300, but it all seemed to go over well and we could get a decent amount of people dancing.

We got about a 100 songs on the set list of  garage rock.   It does get people drinking, dancing and tipping the band.  God knows you need that in our local no cover bar scene. 

• Members

TIMKEYS wrote:

Typical stuff that would have been covered by garage bands in the early to mid 60s prior to the soft 60s rock like grass roots , buckinghams, cryan shames etc;

Been there, done that.  I certainly wouldn't sign up to do it again at this point in my musical life.   Granted it's simple material - that can get a great reaction from the right crowd.  However, if that's what a band is focused on playing - there's a very limited market for it.  Bars in my area certainly aren't looking for that material - the whole "oldies" thing completely petered out around here 10-15 years ago.   The "oldies" radio stations (there used to be several) are all gone, as are the "oldies" bands that used to be popular.   On occasion we'll play an "oldie" or two upon request - but a playlist based on it?  Not a chance.

On a personal level - as keyboard player, I just don't find much enjoyment playing the genre.   More often than not it's a night of playing "Farfisa-esque" block chords behind way more guitar wankery than I care to be a part of. 

• Members

SpaceNorman wrote:

TIMKEYS wrote:

Typical stuff that would have been covered by garage bands in the early to mid 60s prior to the soft 60s rock like grass roots , buckinghams, cryan shames etc;

Been there, done that.  I certainly wouldn't sign up to do it again at this point in my musical life.   Granted it's simple material - that
can
get a great reaction from the
right
crowd.  However, if that's what a band is focused on playing - there's a very limited market for it.  Bars in my area certainly aren't looking for that material - the whole "oldies" thing completely petered out around here 10-15 years ago.   The "oldies" radio stations (there used to be several) are all gone, as are the "oldies" bands that used to be popular.   On occasion we'll play an "oldie" or two upon request - but a playlist based on it?  Not a chance.

On a personal level - as keyboard player, I just don't find much enjoyment playing the genre.   More often than not it's a night of playing "Farfisa-esque" block chords behind way more guitar wankery than I care to be a part of. 

I agree some of it is not  much fun to play ,,, but I look at it as though its not about me ,, its about the crowd.  In the winter down here on the beach ,,, that stuff is their music.  I am not talking 50s stuff.  Ya gotta remember mick jagger is 70 so its not as limited as one might think these days.  Trust me , I am no artists , i sell beer, hard booze and fried seafood to tourists

• Moderators

Wtf? The amount of times you've gotten so far off point to allow you to argue with whoever it is you're arguing with that day us rediculous.

You're just a contrarian who loves to argue.Who are you, the effing internet police making sue everyone stays on point as you see it? You really make a fun thread suck pretty quickly. Thanks man.

Backstage with Dave

• Members

Chill out dude.   I don't recall ARGUING with anyone in this thread.    I simply pointed out that your post was true, but would also be true in a broader context as well because young, hip, good looking, talented players will probably be successful playing ANYTHING.  I wasn't contradicting or arguing with you.  Just contextualizing.

It was you who turned it into an argument by saying what I posted was "not true".  Which, for the record, is incorrect.  I believe that what I said very much IS true.  Just as I agreed that what you first posted was true as well.

But hey, if it all sounded like arguing to you, then I extend my apologies.  I can be a bit brunt sometimes and forget I'm sometimes dealing with sensitive artist types around here.  :)

Archived