Grammy Rant

SeeU 22

• Members

Picking this up from another thread that I hijacked.

Sometimes I am pleasantly suprised by awards show performances other times not so much. IMO last nights Grammys were about as awful as they come. It's a sad situation when Taylor Swift turns in one of the better performances of the night.

I didn't "get" most of the collaborations with the exception of the Carol King/ Sara Barrallies performance. 

Ringo Star couldn't even carry the drums, why bother being on stage then. I get the respect for the Beatles and all, but come on if you can't drum the song don't play. Worse than backing tracks is an air drummer.

The Metallica / Lang Lang collaboration was just wrong as well. Compare these two performances;

One works and the other one is as I said in the other thread jibberish.

Discuss.

Neil

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SeeU 22 wrote:

Picking this up from another thread that I hijacked.

Sometimes I am pleasantly suprised by awards show performances other times not so much. IMO last nights Grammys were about as awful as they come. It's a sad situation when Taylor Swift turns in one of the better performances of the night.

I didn't "get" most of the collaborations with the exception of the Carol King/ Sara Barrallies performance. 

Ringo Star couldn't even carry the drums, why bother being on stage then. I get the respect for the Beatles and all, but come on if you can't drum the song don't play. Worse than backing tracks is an air drummer.

The Metallica / Lang Lang collaboration was just wrong as well. Compare these two performances;

One works and the other one is as I said in the other thread jibberish.

Discuss.

Neil

I couldn't agree more. I'm a huge Metallica fan but even I sat cross-eyed through that performance thinking WTF were they thinking. To start... I understand the significance of playing 'One' but there would have been so many better songs to merge piano with. Frankly it may have looked creative in rehearsal but on a TV broadcast it sounded like two trains colliding. What struck me was that if Lang Lang used diiferent, less busy approach he would have complimented the piece well. It reminded my of a rehearsal space with a piano player in one room and the rock band in the next.  I won't slag Metallica... the perfomance wasn't their best, but it was real... and not tracked. They've earned their stripes and deserve to be there. It was just a weird presentation. 

The Stevie Wonder/Daft punk/P Williams and Nile Rogers was a good performance. As was the Highwaymen (Nelson, Kristofferson). But yeah... Ringo. LOL All I can say is he looks good for 70.

• Members

I liked it the show for the most part.  

But usually where I enjoy the "drag out the old dude" bits, these just kind of seemed sad and pathetic this year.

The Mackelmore song was good.  That guy has the goods.   Until Madonna came out on a cane, sounded like crap and looked like she just had some facial work done that hasn't fully settled in yet.

McCartney's new song I didn't care much for and it was pretty clear that Ringo didn't have a clue how to play drums on it and pretty obviously wasn't even the mix.   It was cool to see them hug each other though at the end.  Ringo sounded horrible on "Photograph" but the band was good.

Willie and Kris and Merle?  Wow.   I guess it was cool to see those guys all on stage again once before they die, but man....that was vocally a nightmare.   Pretty bad when Blake Shelton is the best vocalist on the stage.

Stevie Wonder doesn't have much voice anymore either.  Or he didn't last night anyway.

Olivia Harrison and Yoko Ono coming out to give the Album of the Year award was cool, but you couldn't understand a word either of them said, and I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift thought for a second they said "Red" was the winner instead of "Random Access Memory". 

Lindsey Buckingham was the only old dude who kicked ass I thought.  Liked the thing he did at the end with Trent Reznor.

Most of the younger performances were good.  Beyonce & JayZ.  Katy Perry.  Pink and Nate Ruess.  Taylor Swift sounded better than usual.  That new country girl?  don't remember her name.  She was OK, and looked cute her skirt and boots but not a good idea having her follow the Imagine Dragons.   They were maybe the best act of the night.

Carole King/Sara Barallis was good.  Miranda Lambert and Billy Joe Armstrong?  Sweet tribute to Phil Everly but just meh.  Neither of them were in key very well.

• Members

I'm looking more at the end game. 55 is 11 years away. If I can pull it off, I could do sound full time and have it add to my monthlu pension. Plus I could always work out of our union hall here and there. Do some shutdowns for some play money.

If I got my GF pregnant today, baby by the end if the year, I'd be 65 by the time they got out of highscool. I don't want that. Maybe it's a little selfish on my part, but to me, unfortunately that ship has sailed.

I was always careful, always wore condoms, made sure GF's were on the pill etc. I almost wish I had of had an accident or two.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just got word from my younger ex-stepkid that he's going to be a dad. His GF is pregnant so I'll be an ex-step-grampa in about 6 months!

:)

Ex-stepkid is just a technical term. They'll always be "my boys" we spent a lot of important years together, and I'll always love them like they are my own.

Archived