Front wash lighting for Solo act....any ideas?

charlie13

• Members

I have been thinking about mounting my par64 LED's onto my Peavey PR15's..one on each cabinet. I know several of the groups in the "lighting" forum are doing this with great success. You can do away with the stands and eliminate trip hazzards. My concern would be how the vibration from the cabinet would/could affect the operation of the fixture. A preliminary concept I have would be to use the hanging hardware screws mounted in the top of the PR cabinet to secure a plate with a bolt that would pass through the Par 64 hanging bracket. The Par64 would have to be mounted upside down but that should be okay, plus it will lift the fixture higher up. I plan to use an OBEY3 controller since my pars are RGB only. Set it on slow fade between colors for early on, then set it to audio sync for the dancers later on. I use a Chauvet 4Bar for back lighting eye candy but as of yet still have not bought front washes. Looking for just the right ones. Also looking at the Slim Par 64's too. Anyway, how do you guys handle front washes?

Charlie

• Members

You may want to look into the Puck RGBA's as well. The amber LED's make much nicer looking flesh tones. If you are looking into getting a controller, why not get something that will control the 4Bar as well as the front washes? An Obey 10 or Obey 40 doesn't cost that much more and you get greater control over color schemes, chases etc.

• Members

Since you are a solo acoustic act, I would just do a couple incandescent pars with bastard amber gel. This will light you nicely and you still have the eye candy in the back. If you want colors on you though, then I still recommend the Puck.

• Members

Hey Chaff....not really an acoustic solo act...more of a "add water and stir" kind of act. By that I mean I play everything from Zac Brown to the Drifters to Bruno Mars. More of a variety act, if you will. I did look at the Puck and it's a great fixture...especially with RGBA. However, I got a killer deal on some Par64 LED's from MF and just couldn't pass it up. I may expand the light show later as gigs for my groups start to come in and then take a serious look at the Pucks. When I'm not gigging with my groups, I do solo work.

Charlie

• Members

on the smallish stages we play I think a 64 straight to the face is too bright

I actually use a desk lamp (with adjustable neck) clipped onto each foh speaker with a low wattage bulb and an amber gel over it. (it still feels too bright)

• Members

A photo tells a thousand words. It will be great if there are photos of these lightings from your gigs.

Hey Stunningbabe..yeah...pics do say a thousand words. Will post some after the gig this weekend.

on the smallish stages we play I think a 64 straight to the face is too bright

That may indeed be true. However, since the par64 LED's are mounted on the cabinets and coming at me from the side and not directly from the front I think I can withstand that.

I still use two nice floods to warm the area in addition to a dozen or so leds.

I have been thinking about doing just that...adding on some par38 with Bastard Amber gels for flesh tone.

My main thing though is to keep my stuff small and easy to set up. Obvioulsly, the more I add ...set up/tear down time will increase. It's whether or not the par64's will be worth the extra effort and time...that remains to be seen...I'll let you guys know how things turn out and I'll post some pics.

• Members

I have a couple of par 38's that I mount on my speaker stands, below the speakers. The main downfall to this is they aren't high up pointing down, so I don't get the best effect. Would like to get a couple of LED lights, since the ones I have now get so hot and not being that far away. I don't have any fading, color changing effects obviously. Not sure it is really needed for what I do. Just some light to affect the stage. I think adding a stand for the lights would help get them up higher for a better effect. Any suggestions?

• Members

Shoot that back in English, Hop-meister!
:lol:

American DJ ( a manufacturer of various products ) makes two models 1.) MEGA PAR PROFILE ( a flat round led fixture similar to tradition par cans ) and 2.) MEGA BAR 50 RC ( a bar type led light fixture ) that both work with a remote control....eliminating the need for a controller and dmx connections.

If you ( or someone else ) wanted to have control over leds with minimum hassle, they may provide a useful and practical option, especially for a solo performer.

• Members

I have a couple of par 38's that I mount on my speaker stands, below the speakers. The main downfall to this is they aren't high up pointing down, so I don't get the best effect. Would like to get a couple of LED lights, since the ones I have now get so hot and not being that far away. I don't have any fading, color changing effects obviously. Not sure it is really needed for what I do. Just some light to affect the stage. I think adding a stand for the lights would help get them up higher for a better effect. Any suggestions?

If your speakers have fly points, you can use a flypoint to mount a light above the speaker.

• Members

American DJ ( a manufacturer of various products ) makes two models 1.) MEGA PAR PROFILE ( a flat round led fixture similar to tradition par cans ) and 2.) MEGA BAR 50 RC ( a bar type led light fixture ) that both work with a remote control....eliminating the need for a controller and dmx connections.

If you ( or someone else ) wanted to have control over leds with minimum hassle, they may provide a useful and practical option, especially for a solo performer.

OK, thanks...will look into these.

• Members

No fly points...

If your cabs have flat tops, you might look into having a pair of barckets welded, that'll attach to the cab and hold the lights...neccesity is the mother of invention.

Post (or PM) a clear pic, with length and depth added, of your cabs, and I'll see if I can draw up some plans for you.

• Members

I use Peavey PR12's on stands for my PA and mount home-made spots on top of them using the screw inserts that are built into the top of the speakers. I made the spots from Heineken mini-kegs, putting one of those new-fangled twisty light bulbs inside and running the cord out the bottom. They don't get hot like regular bulbs, so I'm not as worried about something catching fire. Also the light they put out is a little "warmer" and not as harsh as a regular bulb. I made a bracket with metal strapping tape and just found some screws that fit the holes in top of the speakers. It mounts pretty quickly and I haven't had any problems with vibration or heat. I turn the lights on and off with one of those cheap step on gizmos that you can use with Christmas lights. Cost me about $5.00.

• Members

I use Peavey PR12's on stands for my PA and mount home-made spots on top of them using the screw inserts that are built into the top of the speakers. I made the spots from Heineken mini-kegs, putting one of those new-fangled twisty light bulbs inside and running the cord out the bottom. They don't get hot like regular bulbs, so I'm not as worried about something catching fire. Also the light they put out is a little "warmer" and not as harsh as a regular bulb. I made a bracket with metal strapping tape and just found some screws that fit the holes in top of the speakers. It mounts pretty quickly and I haven't had any problems with vibration or heat. I turn the lights on and off with one of those cheap step on gizmos that you can use with Christmas lights. Cost me about $5.00.

Could I trouble you to put up a pic of this when you have the time, Mike?

Thanks in advance! :thu:

• Members

yes, this is interesting..and could be some fun in gathering the necessary materials too! :thu:

pics would be great!

• Moderators

This thread is not going to help without pics of what you guys described. Who agrees with me?

:wave:

Plus I'd be willing to help provide the empty mini-kegs if someone provides the full ones to me. :cool:

speaking of pics, stunningbabe....didn't you promise someone here you'd post yours? ;)

Archived