Front wash lighting for Solo act....any ideas?

charlie13

• Members

And move on...we shall. Here's some pics I took at the gig before I started playing. I'll post more later and go into details...but right now, kinda busy at work.

Charlie[ATTACH=CONFIG]339651[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]339652[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]339653[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]339654[/ATTACH]

• Members

Hey Terry...had a buddy of mine make them for me in the shop. It's 3/16 plate with holes lined up for (4) mounting bolts that secure the plate to the screw openings in the top of the cabinet. There is also a 1/2" bolt (head cut off) welded to the plate. There is (1) metal washer for stability and (2) rubber washers for vibration isolation. Wing nut makes for easy install. Paint it back and there you go!

• Members

Hey Terry...had a buddy of mine make them for me in the shop. It's 3/16 plate with holes lined up for (4) mounting bolts that secure the plate to the screw openings in the top of the cabinet. There is also a 1/2" bolt (head cut off) welded to the plate. There is (1) metal washer for stability and (2) rubber washers for vibration isolation. Wing nut makes for easy install. Paint it back and there you go!

Cool...thanks! :thu:

• Members

Could I trouble you to put up a pic of this when you have the time, Mike?

Thanks in advance!
:thu:

Heinelight.jpg

Sorry it took so long. This new job is killing me.

Sorry it's not the best picture; I took it with my ancient iPhone 3G.

I was playing at a local dive that had their own 15" speakers mounted on shelves, so rather than attach the lights to the speakers, I just clamped them on to the shelves. If I get the chance, I'll take some other pictures showing how I built the things from scratch.

• Members

Heinelight.jpg

Sorry it took so long. This new job is killing me.

Sorry it's not the best picture; I took it with my ancient iPhone 3G.

I was playing at a local dive that had their own 15" speakers mounted on shelves, so rather than attach the lights to the speakers, I just clamped them on to the shelves. If I get the chance, I'll take some other pictures showing how I built the things from scratch.

Cool...looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Been considering how to attach my lights to the top of my cabs, but really hadn't figured it all out, but between your design and Charlie's I'm thinking I'll suss it out (likely stealing ideas from both of you guys! ;))

Next is figuring out how to rig up a way to control color changes w/ my feet @ solo gigs or by the sound-person @ band gigs (may need two different controllers, though!)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

We cut holes into tops of Speakers and mounted pole cups (like used in subs for top poles) and made small "T"s out of ould lighting tree parts. We mounted 2 par 38s on each "T". They worked really well in small areas. The drawback is cutting into your speaker.

• Members

i hope you dont take this wrong.

those led lights are fine for the people watching you can watch the lights blink, that adds to the excitement....but you still need front lights to light you up. people want to see you. lights behind you will not light you up.

i see it all the time. solos, duos, and bands putting lights behind them and on the side of the stage. they dont want lights in their eyes because they're too bright. thats the whole reason for having lights. so the people can see you entertaining them. not a shadow up on stage.

its like taking a picture of someone with the sunset behind them. the sunlight drowns the person out and all you see is a dark shadow on stage. unless you have front light, your face will not be seen.

if you put your speakers ahead of you, then lights on top of them will be fine, but not if the speakers are positioned on the side or behind you. you still need a way to get some light in front of you to be seen.

i have hooks that hang on drop ceiling braces so i can get the lights out front. i always setup a tree of lights on each side of the stage and i get them as far in front as possible. sure its a little bit more work setting up, but the benifits are well worth it. my lights take an extra 10 minutes to setup. first thing i look at when i walk into a venue is how i'm gonna setup my lights. if the place has lighting out front and i can use it, then i can use my trees on the side to set the mood and blink with the music. but you got to be seen.

• Members

Thanks for the input lefty. That's one issue I wasn't too sure about, where to place the lights and what to emphasize. I don't want to bring a ton of lighting equipment but I don't want to be in the dark either. I like the idea of placing lights on top of the mains, just not sure I'll be happy with the results.

• Members

I use two ADJ LED Color Mega Bars (or some such similar brand name) to aim at me (& the bass player if he's there), plus a couple of LED PARs as effect lights. All are attached onto my speaker stands, so it's faster setup and less clutter on stage. I'm using DMXIS for the animation/light show, sync'd with my backing tracks in Logic.

You can see them in the 90s Mix Tape and 2-Man Band videos here: http://www.mattmayfieldmusic.com/shows.html#90sMixTape

Archived