How much effort do you put into how the stage appears?

OneThing

• Members

I like to think that people appreciate a nice looking stage arrangement. I'm very particular about how everything looks, down to the smallest detail. Everything is neat and organized, everything matches and is in balance with each other. The one thing I still need to obtain is a background or backdrop (I am new to the solo scene). I've thought about using a black cloth backdrop and hanging it on stands, or maybe two or three lightweight privacy screens instead. I've also looked at Star Cloth or LED Cloth back drops. Nothing moves me yet. Anyone have any good ideas? What are you using to complete your look? I realize that not every situation will warrant it, but I want to be prepared for any occasion. Thanks!

• Members

We have stage lights and we have a 2 1/2' X 4' banner with the name of our group and our website address on it that we put behind us sometimes. We do not use the lights or the banner for some venues, it just depends. I try minimize what I have on stage and keep what is on it well-organized (cables, etc.). I also try to keep all of my gear in mint or near mint condition so that it looks good. I use my guitars too much, and they are too old, for them to look perfectly new, but everything else does. This is about it for us.

• Members

I am toying with the idea of bringing in a nice Oriental rug and a floor lamp, maybe an end table, just top add to the intimacy vibe. My solo gigs are mellow sit-down affairs, not dance gigs, and I like the "feels like we're in a living room" vibe. of course, for a 3 hour gig, it's a lot of extra work. But I do like a tidy stage. No cases, no piles of cords, no jackets strewn around.

• Moderators

I am toying with the idea of bringing in a nice Oriental rug and a floor lamp, maybe an end table, just top add to the intimacy vibe. My solo gigs are mellow sit-down affairs, not dance gigs, and I like the "feels like we're in a living room" vibe. of course, for a 3 hour gig, it's a lot of extra work. But I do like a tidy stage. No cases, no piles of cords, no jackets strewn around.

immediately brought [ATTACH=CONFIG]340090[/ATTACH] to mind...

• Members

As a duo, I have a pair of very comfortable matching stools, matching mic stands and usually four light cans. Occasionally, I'll bring out the pipe and drape if it looks like it would make difference, like covering up mirrors or windows. I like bluestrats living room idea though!

• Members

We (duo) don't have any backdrop but neatness in the stage area is a big deal for me.

Aside from having an unreasonably strong aversion to having cords underfoot (it drives me bonkers), I hate a messy stage area. At the very least I take a few cable-ties and bundle visible cable runs & make sure that extra lengths of cable are out of view.

We usually have enough room to get cases & coats out of view as well. When we don't, they go back in the vehicles.

Also, for smaller, low-key gigs, we bring a 5' floor lamp rather than our LED cans.

• Members

Our stage is pretty messy for a duo band, but we have so much gear and various instruments. We use two small LED stage lights which flashes on the beats. Got a percussionist and i'm the guitarist. We play a very fast kind of "World fusion instrumental" style. Sometimes we play 2-3 gigs a day and we just don't have the time to make the stage tidy...

• Members

Most of the places I play won't let you mess with their decor - so you're left with clothing being the only enhancement you can make. And the places where I play that don't care what you do with the stage REALLY don't care. Seems like it's all or nothing. So for me there's not much call to improve stage appearence. On my "rowdy" gigs, black jeans and a nice shirt are about it. Interesting thread though.

I'm working this Thursday at this place http://www.fairmont.com/hotelvancouver/GuestServices/Restaurants/900WestLounge.htm and they don't even like to see speakers on sticks. They want the entertainment to be presentable and personable, but they also want you to blend into the wood work.

There's another spot called the Shangri-La that can also get fussy, although as you can see they don't mind SOS http://www.oyster.com/vancouver/hotels/shangri-la-hotel-vancouver/photos/restaurants-bars--v1102520-50/ They spent an obscene amount on that piano and the chandelier and want those as the focal point. although I hear they're going to remodel again. Must be nice to have money.

But I have thought of upscaling my wardrobe. The pianist that hires me always has hand tailored suits he gets made in Hong Kong or Seoul - and I've got my budget suits from some budget store..... maybe I'll put some LED's on my jacket ;).

• Moderators

I've replied to this post twice since I initiated it and both times a message indicated they would be reviewed by a moderator before posting, and then nothing! What happened to my posts? It's not like I wrote something offensive???

We are having some issues with our new security protocols; IT is working on it [read: do not hold your breath waiting for a solution]... ;)

If you have any issues regarding this forum, please feel free to PM me. I'm here 24/7 [read: no, I'm not, really, but I do check in several times a day]

• Members

I don't do much for the stage. I carry a carpet, but really, what its for is to help me keep from tripping on cables. All my gear is fairly Road Worn, my guitars look like I've drug them behind a truck, but I do always make sure I dress, One Notch Above the people I'm playing to. I hate to set-up lights, but carry some in the truck if I'm asked to. (my equipment looks better in the dark, I guess I look better in the dark as well.)

• Members

I carry a carpet, but really, what its for is to help me keep from tripping on cables.

Darn good idea, noted.

always make sure I dress, One Notch Above the people I'm playing to.

excellent rule of thumb!

Never messed with lights, but Im kinda liking by the lamp idea.

Since we usually stand up, guess they'd need to be floor lamps

Something like this might look good. Maybe paired with a simple stool to set stuff on.

26567.jpg

Archived