How many have been told you can't sing?

ClassicRock1169

• Members

Without hearing you sing, it's hard to properly advise you, but...

Odds are that if people tell you that, they might be right... for now. Like anything else, either you have a natural talent for something, or you have to work hard at it to become proficient. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses is important to know what your niche is... I don't think Dave Mathews, for example, is a very good singer, but he knows his range, and although he's no Jeff Buckley, he's done well for himself. I know if I did a set of Train songs, people would tell me I couldn't sing either. Make sure to sing songs in your range and take the time to record yourself... learn what you do best, and worst... learn proper technique and take lessons from someone who knows what they're doing (in the style you'd like to sing). I have always been a pretty good singer, and was in bands long before I ever took a vocal lesson. I didn't think lessons would make a difference, but I thought it couldn't hurt... I couldn't believe how much better it made me and never realized how much I didn't know about singing.

Hope that helps

• Members

I've never had someone tell me I can't sing BUT I have had a range of responses to my singing. For example in two reviews of exactly the same track I got from one person "you need to find a better singer to sing this" and from another, "love the vocals, you have a great voice". So, a lot of this is subjective. Just look at how many people say that Bob Dylan can't sing, and yet he's one of my favourite singers.

As astone923 says though, it's hard to know what to tell you without hearing you sing, and also as he says, taking some vocal lessons can't hurt and most likely will help a lot. If nothing else, a vocal coach can give you an educated and (somewhat) objective opinion of your current vocal abiities.

• Members

The bandleader of our church band asked me not to sing. She doesn't think I'm up to her standards.

On the other hand, I don't mind too much because people pay me pretty good money to sing at their weddings and receptions; I always remind myself of that when the soundguy at church keeps my mic muted for the whole service.

• Members

This is a tough one. Step one is record yourself singing. The tape (or audio file) won't lie. Your voice will never sound as good recorded as it does to you when you sing, but don't worry about that - listen to how in tune you are, how easy it is to understand what you're singing, how much emotion you bring to the song, how good your timing is. If you're singing out of tune you'll know it and you'll know what to fix. Also listen for the good stuff - what phrases do you sing really well? What makes your voice a little different than anyone else's? You have to be your own worst critic. Only then can you become a better singer. Once you've figured out what to improve, practice that, then record yourself again. Compare the tracks. Progress? Keep working at it.

Once you think your voice is OK, you can ask others, but don't ask non-musicians or relatives (or friends.) You want an opinion from musicians who don't know you. Posting here isn't a bad idea - this particular forum (with one or two exceptions) is populated by older guys and girls who gig in front of audiences - we're a pretty polite music forum compared to some other places. You could get honest feedback here.

If you are not taking vocal lessons, take some. If you do not want to do that, buy Roger Love's book "Set Your Voice Free." Comes with a CD of exercises. Awesome book, and you can pick it up for around 15 bucks. Doesn't teach you to sing opera. Roger has worked with lots of rock and country stars and his vocal instruction is very sound. He teaches you how to sing higher with less strain and how to sing all night without blowing out your voice.

Worry about being in tune and singing with your own voice and not trying to sound just like Adam Levine or whomever you think is a great singer. This is one of the biggest mistakes that people make. You can't be the best singer you can be if you're trying to sound like someone else. What people want is voices that have character. Tom Petty has, from a technical standpoint, a poor voice, but it doesn't matter because he sings in tune, on time, and with great emotion. Which is why I like Tom Petty and so do do many other people. Lyle Lovett is a textbook example of this. His voice sounds like he was gargling with rocks, but it's so damn cool. And it's in tune, on time, and full of his individual personality. His singing voice sounds like his speaking voice, which is the true indication that he's singing with his own voice and not trying to be someone else.

The biggest myth in music is that only certain people are born to sing well. Almost anyone can sing well, with the proper practice and instruction.

• Members

Lots of good advice above from richardmac. :thu:

My only quibble would be with the suggestion that you not try to imitate other singers. I think you SHOULD try to imitate singers you admire; you should experiment freely with the stylizations and techniques of your favorite singers. Unless you're angling to create a tribute act, you don't want to build yourself into a clone of a favorite singer, but experimenting with different vocal styles is a crucial part of building your own. Try out a lot of things from many different singers; use what works, leave off what doesn't; develop what can be developed, etc.

As to the original question: I'm never told that I can't sing, but no one, ever, compliments me on my voice. :( It's as if I'm tolerated when I sing, not enjoyed. Nonetheless, I sing most of the songs in my current band and the guys keep showing up, so I guess I'm okay. I've learned to deal with the silence, and I go on doing my thing...but I do wish the someone, just once, would throw me a nice word.

The dirty little secret is that the most important part of singing is confidence. If you get up there like you belong on stage, the vast majority of people will never notice the flaws you may hear in your voice--and those who do notice will never get any traction. :cool:

• Members

Go get a recommendation for a vocal coach and sing for them. What I have seen (heard) is people not singing in the right key for their voice. If the song feels real comfortable to you then you are probably in the wrong key. Voices always sound better when they are pushed. Try getting outside your comfort zone and push yourself. You might be surprised.

• Moderators

some good points made...may I add tha tone of the things to consider is if you are singing the right kind of music, the right way...most classically trained operatic singers can't, for the life of them, sing scat. Some great rock singers can't sing show tunes, and so on....and, in the case of the church choir director, I could point you to some scripture to undo her attitude, but I'm not gonna ;)

The other things to think about is keeping in one's range and keys. You don't ask a contralto to sing bass....(telecruiser, you have me confused by your statements, they seem to be at cross purposes :wave: )

Not everyone can sing well. some people are stone tone deaf.

As to my singing, I know what I can and can't do...I have been singing since I was a little kid, in choirs, the NYC All-City Chorale, off-Broadway shows (in the chorus), duos and bands...my forte for many years was singing high harmony/back-up...the past decade has seen me find my own lead vocal style, one which I avoided for years...and similar to MDL, the comments are usually based on surprise...'I thought the other guy was singing that...' ;)

• Members

Jersey,

+1 on the confidence thing.

I don't think I am much of a singer, but people seem to enjoy me. Maybe it is a lack of choice, maybe sincerity over accuracy, maybe politeness, mine or theirs. Maybe they heard me several years ago, and are excited about the improvement!

I don't get a lot of compliments, but the rare ones are good ones. I love compliments on my choice of material - that is a big reflection of my taste and values. Once, after a Neil Young song, a guy walked up to me, handed me a $100, and said it was the best version he had ever heard. I doubt it was true, but it still felt good.

Once my wife was in the audience, and two guys were talking about how badly I did a song (pretty true.) She turned around and told them, "Yes that was pretty bad, but he is my husband, and he is up there trying." They stumbled all over themselves to apologize. Go Wifey!!

oldMattB

• Members

http://soundcloud.com/jarredwoodruff/watchtower-4/s-u0HDY
Here is my singing Watchtower

http://soundcloud.com/jarredwoodruff/dont-think-twice
and This is don't think twice it's alright

just tell me straight up lol

Straight up: I like :thu: Your voice is fine for this kind of material, but (like Bob) you may find people who don't like it. That should NOT stop you, as there are many successful recording artists who don't sing any better than you.

A tip: you might get a smoother tone by backing off just a bit on the volume. Your voice seems (esp in Watchtower) to get a little harsh and uneven when you sing louder.

All good, all good! :cool:

• Members

Straight up: I like
:thu:
Your voice is fine for this kind of material, but (like Bob) you may find people who don't like it. That should NOT stop you, as there are many successful recording artists who don't sing any better than you.

A tip: you might get a smoother tone by backing off just a bit on the volume. Your voice seems (esp in Watchtower) to get a little harsh and uneven when you sing louder.

All good, all good!
:cool:

Guess I gotta get use to some not liking my style. I will admit it is not for everyone. I just didn't want to get the impression I was a decent singer when I was bad all together. Some say Dylan is unbearable but he's my favorite singer. Thank ya. I'm a young performer and I guess I need to toughen up.

• Members

I lucky to have a good voice; no-one has told me I can't sing. But my ability and tone vary a lot, depending on whether I've warmed up or even if the the muscle is strong from practise--and it is a muscle. When I'm off, my upper range is scratchy and strained and my lower range inaudible, when I'm in good shape, both are much better and better integrated into my overall range.

A few years ago I had a serious bout of pneumonia and lost my voice. I went to a vocal coach while I was recovering my voice and she let me record our warmups. I still use them--best singing exercises I have.

• Members

Here is my singing Watchtower

and This is don't think twice it's alright

just tell me straight up lol

Your voice sounds like if Billy Corgan sang folk music. Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely something that does not appeal to a certain segment of the population.

And Jack is right - you definitely get harsh and uneven when you push too hard - your pitch goes sort of all over the place and your tone gets strained-sounding.

A good voice teacher will help you harness what you've got and steer you to having more consistency with your pitch and tone when you go for more power.

Good luck!

Brian V.

• Members

Your voice sounds like if Billy Corgan sang folk music. Not necessarily a bad thing, but definitely something that does not appeal to a certain segment of the population.

And Jack is right - you definitely get harsh and uneven when you push too hard - your pitch goes sort of all over the place and your tone gets strained-sounding.

A good voice teacher will help you harness what you've got and steer you to having more consistency with your pitch and tone when you go for more power.

Good luck!

Brian V.

You wouldn't say I'm a terrible singer though right?

• Members

A lot of it is simply a matter of taste...many consider Barbra Streisand to be an AMAZING singer, but I can't stand her voice...it's VERY annoying/nerve grating to have to listen to her. Same thing w/ Taylor Swift.

OTOH, as previously mentioned, Bob Dylan isn't everybody's cup-O-tea, either. And I've heard both Janis Joplin and Rod Stewart described as "gargles with Drano"...I enjoy hearing all 3, myself.

Just a matter of taste.

• Members

Good luck!

Brian V.

Totally agree... I thought a bit like Mick Jagger/Billy Corgan does watchtower... and find a good vocal instructor... you'll love the results. And keep pluggin' away at it. You can definitely sing, and you can definitely improve.

• Members

i found that over the course of a year or so, through gigging my voice improved to the level where it goes down fine now and i get some compliments.. not loads but enough to keep the old low self esteem monsters at bay ;)...

i would love to be able to pass on how t improved over that year... someone i met who hadnt heard me for a while who is also a singer said "you are breathing better" but when i quizzed her on that she agreed its just "what your supposed to say"!! and that she wasnt really sure what it was but it was better...

all we could agree on was that it had gotten stronger and more confident... dont get me wrong im no Robert PLant quite yet ;) but i think the improving comes from recording yourself and listening back and also gigging.

and ive still a ways to go IMO....

all the best.

d

Archived