How many have been told you can't sing?

ClassicRock1169

• Members

You wouldn't say I'm a terrible singer though right?

Not in the least...I actually think your voice tone is cool, it just needs more control so there are fewer rough parts where you get out of tune. You'll get there if you practice, record yourself and most of all, BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF when something doesn't sound great. Don't be overly harsh, just look at the rough stuff as a place for practice. If you can't hear where you go out, that's the best reason to get a teacher, because they will tell you where it isn't working and help you make it work.

Hopefully that was constructive... :)

Brian V.

• Members

the pitch of sound transmitted through your jaw bone sounds higher than it actually is, this is why recordings of your voice usually sound unnaturally low to the uninitiated. Because of this perceptual distortion most people with decent pitch end up singing flat when listening to themselves sing. Listening on cans to yourself singing can GREATLY help you sing on pitch in other settings until you can do the adjustment "in situ". There are also computer programs which are quite effective at training you to sing on pitch.

Some people will NEVER be able to sing, sadly, but technology can help greatly.

• Members

Not in the least...I actually think your voice tone is cool, it just needs more control so there are fewer rough parts where you get out of tune. You'll get there if you practice, record yourself and most of all, BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF when something doesn't sound great. Don't be overly harsh, just look at the rough stuff as a place for practice. If you can't hear where you go out, that's the best reason to get a teacher, because they will tell you where it isn't working and help you make it work.

Hopefully that was constructive...
:)
Brian V.

Yea it was constructive. I have be recording myself ever since I started singing. I wish I could give you a clip from a year ago I have come SO far. I will try to hold back on the volume until I am comfortable with singing the note. I didn't really go outta tune any on Don't Think Twice it was mainly All along the watchtower right?

• Members

the pitch of sound transmitted through your jaw bone sounds higher than it actually is, this is why recordings of your voice usually sound unnaturally low to the uninitiated. Because of this perceptual distortion most people with decent pitch end up singing flat when listening to themselves sing. Listening on cans to yourself singing can GREATLY help you sing on pitch in other settings until you can do the adjustment "in situ". There are also computer programs which are quite effective at training you to sing....

Thanks, tedmich, for a fascinating post! :thu: It would be great to learn more. What about people who sing without microphones--folkies, a cappella groups, and some classical singers? Is it possible to train oneself to maintain pitch without plugging in?

Also, following the logic here, all singing done without external sound reinforcement would not simply seem too low but would surely be too low, in objective terms. If we're singing correctly in our heads, you're saying that it would be incorrect "out there.". Am I missing something?

Can you provide some leads on the training software?

• Members

got a reference for this?

Yeah, I almost said that too. I don't think it's true, but then again SOMETHING is going on and I admit to knowing nothing about the topic. Obviously your own voice is more deep and resonant in your own head than what people hear, but that's really the "eq" of your voice, so to speak, and has nothing to do with pitch. But some people have a hell of a time singing with cans on and have to take one ear off to sing better. So something is going on but I'm not sure what.

• Members

My voice sounds lower recorded but others perceive their voice as higher, definitely DIFFERENT, learning to sing often involves learning to ignore internal perception and conforming to external 3rd party ones. Does your recorded voice sound completely identical to your internal perception? Do the experiment yourself!

Software like this can help:

http://www.singandsee.com/forsingers.php

I used some real cheap Mac freeware back in the day. Perfect pitch may actually be an impediment to singing on pitch if you cant transform your internal perceptions to more closely conform to external perceptions.

• Members

Yeah. This guy I know who is a really incredible musician. He said I "couldn't sing for sh it". But he followed it up with what a great entertainer and picker he thought I was. It stings a little, but I know he's right about the singing anyway. The challenge is not to let that kind of thing get in your way. If I thought i was a world class singer, then I'd try to be on American Idol. But I'm not. I am a guitar player who knows a bazillion songs and has a good delivery. I can't sing EVERYTHING. I can't even sing every song I want to sing. You find out what you can pull off and do those songs.

• Members

... I can't sing EVERYTHING. I can't even sing every song I want to sing. You find out what you can pull off and do those songs.

I think we all have a range of 'voices' that are determined by our physical equipment, our character, our musical knowledge etc. Some people have quite a wide range, others narrower and heaven help you if you step too far outside your proper zone. Imagine Paul Anka singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

• Members

Yeah. This guy I know who is a really incredible musician. He said I "couldn't sing for sh it". But he followed it up with what a great entertainer and picker he thought I was. It stings a little, but I know he's right about the singing anyway. The challenge is not to let that kind of thing get in your way. If I thought i was a world class singer, then I'd try to be on American Idol. But I'm not. I am a guitar player who knows a bazillion songs and has a good delivery. I can't sing EVERYTHING. I can't even sing every song I want to sing. You find out what you can pull off and do those songs.

REALLY good advice. Find out what you can pull off and do that. I sort of live by that.

• Members

I used to know a 1 man band guy with backing tracks straight off a 20 year old yamaha all in workstation (not expensive/pro type). It really sounded basic and the chords weren't correct. The vocals had no sense of pitch. And he was constantly working, I never understood that.

• Members

I used to know a 1 man band guy with backing tracks straight off a 20 year old yamaha all in workstation (not expensive/pro type). It really sounded basic and the chords weren't correct. The vocals had no sense of pitch. And he was constantly working, I never understood that.

Me too. There was a guy around here that fronted a trio and his voice was somewhat unpleasant. He worked steadily for years. Must be a combination of personality, good communication skills and possibly setting his price low enough to be desirable.

• Members

I would appreciate a constructive opinion on a file I just recorded, just me and piano, and yes, I realize there are some glaring mistakes but am just looking for some general insight on how to improve my voice. I am getting over a big cold so it's not how I want, but I've heard as a singer, there is always something happening you'd rather not be. Anyway, thanks for your input. :)

http://www.box.com/s/lmrhh8qni8i015j3u30h

• Members

I would appreciate a constructive opinion on a file I just recorded, just me and piano, and yes, I realize there are some glaring mistakes but am just looking for some general insight on how to improve my voice. I am getting over a big cold so it's not how I want, but I've heard as a singer, there is always something happening you'd rather not be. Anyway, thanks for your input.
:)

http://www.box.com/s/lmrhh8qni8i015j3u30h

The tone of your voice is good, great even. It's got a classic quality to it, but could also go in a darker alternative direction. Meaning I could see you doing standards or Depeche Mode.

Your power lacks in the lower notes. I think you are singing a song that is to low for your range to truly show your chops. That being said, if you took the time in studio and focused on hitting it right over and over again, it could work in a recording. In a live sense, I think that type of range would be better suited for fans of your work versus if doing covers. If I had to put my money on it, I would say an ideal song and range for you to sing would be something like Tears For Fears - Everybody Wants To Rule The World (or anything by them). Their work is a little more alto dominate rather than tenor.

Were there a few sour notes? Sure. But, you can sing. I think this is more of a song selection issue versus overall ability. Even in this song selection, it isn't making me run for the door. I still like the vibe and tone and emotion you put forth.

Lastly, I am brutal in my honesty. I don't want anyone making a fool of themselves, so I am not being nice.

• Members

Oh wow, this is what I am looking for. Not "you're awful" and not "you're great." This is really constructive stuff I think I can use and I thank you for that. I agree with what you've said and I will aim for those directions. You nailed alot in your comments regarding song selection. I thank you for listening and commenting. :)

Archived