Sorry if asked before: Standing or Sitting?

msmooth

• Members

As per my earlier post, I am getting ready to embark as a solo or a duo, if I find the right partner.

When I perform with my band, I play the electric guitar and always stand. I actually am one of those guys who gets into and moves when I play.

When playing the accustic, I sit. This is for two reasons.

1). My current accoustic guitar does not have a strap button yet, which can be easily fixed. I can't stand the position of the guitar whne a strap is tied to the headstock.

2). When I have played and accoustic while standing, it is not as comforatable and when i am sitting, due to the thickness of the body. Standing is o.k. when I'm just strumming, but I play any fingerpicking or more intricate parts better while I am seated.

However, I believe that by sitting I may not be as energetic as an over-all performer. I also believe that vocals are better when standing.

Any thoughts?

• Members

Playing in bands i've always stood, but transitioning to solo keyboard player i'm now sitting for the first time. Apart from sitting feeling more natural for those sort of gigs, playing solo opens up the dynamics to where i can really get some use out of damper and expression pedals, and i need both feet for that. I find that using a tall stool doesn't impact my singing at all (not like sitting in a folding chair), and also puts me at a comfortable height where i'm not hidden behind the keyboards.

- Jimbo

• Members

i played in a band for 10 yrs ;standing but i prefer sitting; i can grab chords easier.but i think i still play better at home ,sitting on the couch with the guitar firmly planted on the couch cushion.the guitar dosen t move ...neither do i!...i've asked if i could bring my couch to my next gig; but they said....

• Members

As per my earlier post, I am getting ready to embark as a solo or a duo, if I find the right partner.

When I perform with my band, I play the electric guitar and always stand. I actually am one of those guys who gets into and moves when I play.

When playing the accustic, I sit. This is for two reasons.

1). My current accoustic guitar does not have a strap button yet, which can be easily fixed. I can't stand the position of the guitar whne a strap is tied to the headstock.

2). When I have played and accoustic while standing, it is not as comforatable and when i am sitting, due to the thickness of the body. Standing is o.k. when I'm just strumming, but I play any fingerpicking or more intricate parts better while I am seated.

However, I believe that by sitting I may not be as energetic as an over-all performer. I also believe that vocals are better when standing.

Any thoughts?

Always standing...I, too, sing better standing, prefer to be a bit more "energetic", and, do to a spinal injury from some years ago, find sitting for more than 30 minutes to be very painful.

• Members

Playing electric guitar or playing with a band = standing.

Acoustic solo or duet = sitting.

Performing live in front of others by myself, I feel more comfortable sitting on a high stool. All in all I feel a bit more relaxed and connect with the audience and with the music a bit more.

• Members

I stand with a few exceptions. If I have to work the wah-wah pedal for the entire song, I'll sit on a bar-stool.

I think it depends on the kind of music you play. If you are doing non-dance, light background music (sonic wallpaper) it doesn't matter. If you are playing higher energy music, I think it's better if you stand. Of course that is only my opinion.

• Members

This is an interesting one for me. I would prefer to stand. I think you can captivate the audience a bit more while standing.

We typically play a four hour set with a music stand and song book, so sitting works much better for us. One thing we do is if one guy is singing the whole song the other will stand up and rock out a bit.

Ultimately, I would like to stand the whole set and not use a music stand. But I cant see that happening for a while yet.

For some reason I feel when Im sitting, Im being lazy....

• Members

Got my guitar guy to put a strap button on the heel of the neck today. I spent 2-3 hours playing this afternoon/evening while standing and it worked out fine. I think I'll probably end up standing most of the time. Thanks for all of the input.

• Members

I tried to mostly stand with my duo. Solo, it was easier to opperate loopers/harmonizers form a seated position. It really depends on the gig. I am trying to stand and move around more and that is more of a challenge if pedals are used. Working on perfecting that.

Steve

Archived