My rant for the week. Warning: Weak Stick Content.

tinfish

• Members

okay, as an active solo performer, this is the kind of thing that really makes my job harder with bar owners. Last night I took my lovely down to our favorite beach town, and hit a few of our favorite bars. We noticed that one of them had a solo playing later in the eve, so we went back to the room, took a little siesta and went back out later, music was to start at 10:00, yeah, on a freakin' monday. hit a couple of other places and got to this particular bar at about 10:30 to find the "performer" unpacking gear from his car. it's not like we're asking your hippie ass to be at work at 6:00 in the morning or anything!! It's 10:00 {censored}ING PM for christ sakes!!! so, anyway, order some drinks, start {censored}ing with other bar patrons and this fat burnout starts "playing". what a joke. I swear to god this guy hasn't turned on a radio since Ed Sullivan went off the air. I always wondered why every time I play down there I wind up with a regular gig. question answered. so, beach bar owners beware: I've seen the other "acts" that play down there. when you get tired of the bush league bull{censored} that you have to put up with from these drug addicts pretending to be musicians, call me. but you will be paying me all the money, 'cause I can get the job done right!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen the other "acts" that play down there. when you get tired of the bush league bull{censored} that you have to put up with from these drug addicts pretending to be musicians, call me. but you will be paying me all the money, 'cause I can get the job done right!

You might want to put up some better tracks if you're going to make statements like that. Just sayin'.

• Members

You might want to put up some better tracks if you're going to make statements like that. Just sayin'.

And you may want to change this phrase in your Bio - "I'm so much more than just a boy and his stool!"

It may be just a Brit thing, but a 'stool' is a piece of faeces.

Not quite the impression you want to make, I should think? :eek::lol::lol::lol:

• Members

Of course it is still something upon which you put your arse.
:lol:

But I couldn't hep thinking of its other connotation. Sorry.

Yes, it definitely came out different than I'm sure he intended. Wait...by "came out", I mean he said it differently! :lol:

Kind of like my favorite line from Happy Gilmore...Golf snob: "I eat pieces of crap like you for breakfast!" Happy Gilmore: "Ooh, you eat pieces of crap?" :lol::lol:

• Moderators

well, let's not make this some sort of urination competition, okay?

I think the point some were making was that the videos available from your links were not exactly 'pro quality'...the one I saw looked to be shot in your living room...we have had people post some shot in their bathrooms, though, so this isn't to say you can't do better than the people against whom you rant, but put your best foot forward; since we didn't get to see the acts you derided, the expectation level was pretty high, right?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2874123-Post-some-videos-of-your-act!

• Members

my point is, and I do have one, have some work ethic. and track haters: anybody care to take the pepsi challenge with me heads up? it won't go well for you.

What is this, WWF? Jeez, dude, get over yourself. Hate to break it to ya, but you ain't all that. You'd be a second-tier act in most of the places around here. Your playing is marginal and your singing is average, if you want the truth. I don't have to go "head to head" with anybody, nor do most any of the guys here, who are all quite accomplished performers. But then, none of them are bragging about how great they are, either. That would be you.

The truly talented don't need to tell anybody. Talent speaks for itself.

• Members

OP, why are you so upset? If these "non-professional hippies" are your competition, you should be happy! It makes it easier for you to stand out in the crowd, no? Why are you so pissed?

What the working musicians here are telling you is to look after your own glass house before you start throwing stones! If I, as a manager/operator met you and you offered me your reverbnation page as an example of your work, I don;t think I would hire you over someone else. There is nothing there to suggest you are good in live situations, or that you are the professional you claim to be. This is a fact that people are trying to point out to you and you can take it or leave it, that's all.

BTW, the comment on your profile that "you are more than a boy with a stool"...well you look like a grown ass adult! Your profile is very amateurish, very far from a professional.

JMO

Rod

• Members

just noticing that the haters stopped short..........even of a "second tier act"..........I'm just some dumb pop cover guy......surely everybody would understand how transient and unimportant that genre is, even if they were shaking their ass when it occured to them that they should be listening to roots and americana!

• Members

IMO, the original poster has a point. Downbeat should be on time. But sometimes it's not the artist's (or poseur's) fault. I've had two local venues post in the paper a 9:00 downbeat, yet tell the band that downbeat is at 10:00.....and there's nothing you can do about it 'cause the soundman shows up at 9:30. Until you figure it out, it makes for a real mess with bandmates, gig spam, and friends showing up on time wondering "when-in-hell you're going to start the show goddamnit I gotta go to work tomorrow morning".

Archived