I Always took my breaks. Lot's of Springsteen's on this forum!

sventvkg

• Members

Agreed and well said...

We love what we do, and would rather play than not play. We charge a little more than the average duo so it pays, but that's not why we do it.

Funny, I've seen musicians play for hours without a break at jam sessions where they are not getting paid anything, and then when they get a gig demand their breaks, even if the audience is jamming and a break would be inappropriate right then.

Go figure.

I also find the audience easier to control by not taking breaks. They have more fun and so do we!

Notes

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

... when the musicians stop playing, it is a subconscious cue for folks to get up and leave and not tip on the way out. ...

We usually play at least an hour a set, maybe an hour and a half. If we care its like BlueStrat says. A break before about 10:30 on a 8:30 - 12:30 type schedule doesn't send people home - but after that it can and does. In general as long as we're having fun we tend to play over.

• Members

I'll take my breaks. I think part of the job is going around to schmooze the boozers. I can see why you guys sit at your station the whole night. it makes sense. But I'm not doing it. I work too hard stompin around and hollerin. I need to punch out every hour to charge back up.

What is way worse is playing a long long set and then when you finally take a break, it's too long. A ten minute break is a target. 20 minutes an people are leaving.

• Members

If I had no added benefit, I would take them too, but here the pay is so bad that tips are a sizeable part of your income. There's something I've noticed over the years is that when the musicians stop playing, it is a subconscious cue for folks to get up and leave and not tip on the way out. So taking breaks can end up costing me 20 to 40 bucks a night or more. Also, if the place still has a small crowd when I'm supposed to be finished, I often play an extra half hour or 45 minutes. I've gotten as much as 100 more dollars in tips that I would have in doing that.

Yea that happens sometimes but more often than not I take breaks, walk around socialize, meet people, sell CD's etc..I guess there are many ways to skin a cat. I'm not one of those guys who will kill myself unless it's warranted. Obviously if they are rocking and tippin I stay on stage. That should be obvious but I've never played a whole night..4 hours with no breaks. The kind of singer I am with the intensity I put out, I would blow myself out..Especially all the years I played 5-8 gigs a week..

• Members

When you reach my age, you need frequent breaks to visit the restroom. Especially if you've downed a beer or two.

Fine..we'll take over this thread. Man...40 wasn't bad, 41,42 and no changes. 43? Everything is changing! Geesh I could go every hour now. There's now firehose stream anymore either! LOL kids...see whats just around the corner?

• Members

I remember when I turned 40. I went to Penney's to by some jeans in the young man's section. The sales girl asked if I needed help and I told her I couldn't find my size. She went in the back for a while and finally came out with the perfect jeans. That's right... they had the stretch band waist!

• Members

i've never seen an added benefit for killing myself...
:idk:

I've been in construction for almost 30 years and just about the only breaks we ever take most days is lunch. Sitting in a chair playing my guitar and singing for three hours is hardly killing myself in comparison! In fact, it's a walk in the park. Even my band gigs, the sets are often 90 minutes to two hours.

• Members
Fine..we'll take over this thread. Man...40 wasn't bad, 41,42 and no changes. 43? Everything is changing! Geesh I could go every hour now. There's now firehose stream anymore either! LOL kids...see whats just around the corner?

Wait 'til you hit your mid-50s... :eek:

BTW, OP, Springsteen was born September 23, 1949, so he'll be 62 next month... :p

• Members

Terry was the one who encouraged me to go out as a solo a few years back. Remember that, Terry? I'd never done one before that.

Seriously? That's really cool! That's great that you guys have communicating for years on a message board. At least I find it great that these those types of "friendships" exist.

• Members

I don't take breaks so i don't have to talk to idiots. It's always some chick that wants to hit on me and piss my wife off or some asshole musician who wants to know why I don't have a 'real band'. The time goes by much faster when I'm playing. Plus I can close my eyes and pretend I'm a big star... Oh, wait, I am!! (tongue in cheek)

• Members

If I had no added benefit, I would take them too, but here the pay is so bad that tips are a sizeable part of your income. There's something I've noticed over the years is that when the musicians stop playing, it is a subconscious cue for folks to get up and leave and not tip on the way out. So taking breaks can end up costing me 20 to 40 bucks a night or more. Also, if the place still has a small crowd when I'm supposed to be finished, I often play an extra half hour or 45 minutes. I've gotten as much as 100 more dollars in tips that I would have in doing that.

You post got me thinking..It really has gotten so bad compared to when we started gigging eh? I started around 87 and I know you were doing the road thing before that...How bad does it have to get before everyone says, screw it..It's not worth it anymore, I'll stay home?

Archived