Reasons Why I Hate Football

Howie22

• Members

I hate football for many reasons but the biggest one is the type of male that enjoys it. I know this is a generalization but in my experience the football type guy and I are fundamentally diametrically opposed as far as our outlook on life. We just don't get along and never have. I can't talk about art, books music, sociopolitical concerns, or philosophy with those guys and be on the same page. Also, I've lost many a gig to a dumb football match. Last but not least those dumbass football jocks in school used to harass and in fact jumped a buddy of mine and beat him up pretty bad..All because he had long hair. I ended up kicking the {censored} out of 4 of them and challenging the rest..no takers. Maybe my views on Football type guys are colored by my own experiences in life but I have always associated football with anti-intellectual, fat, beer drinking idiots..Mostly I've been right but YMMV.

• Members

I hate football for many reasons but the biggest one is the type of male that enjoys it. I know this is a generalization but in my experience the football type guy and I are fundamentally diametrically opposed as far as our outlook on life. We just don't get along and never have. I can't talk about art, books music, sociopolitical concerns, or philosophy with those guys and be on the same page. Also, I've lost many a gig to a dumb football match. Last but not least those dumbass football jocks in school used to harass and in fact jumped a buddy of mine and beat him up pretty bad..All because he had long hair. I ended up kicking the {censored} out of 4 of them and challenging the rest..no takers. Maybe my views on Football type guys are colored by my own experiences in life but I have always associated football with anti-intellectual, fat, beer drinking idiots..Mostly I've been right but YMMV.

When people are less intellectual than me, I like to kick their ass.

• Members

hey there..

its a different sport but over here the sunday obsession is with soccer...

last nite my duo did a gig in a bar at the same time that "El Classico" was on..

which is Real Madrid vs Barcelona... live from SPain...

we kind of watched it too while we were playing.... ! well if theyre not gonna listen then we might as well right?? :rolleyes:

the volume was down on the game but their attention was totally with that. it was all a bit ridiculous really... anyway we got paid and nobody got hurt.

• Members

I hate all professional and college sports and have a few reasons why?

1) Unfair competition - they sports addicts get glued to the TV and do go out to the live music bars where they belong

I remember playing at a lounge in Jensen Beach Florida. There was a wide-screen TV above the stage that was normally turned off. It was world series day, so the manager asked if he could turn it on with no sound - the way he asked we knew we really didn't have a choice. So we were playing, looking up everybody's noses while their focus was on the screen above us, and in the middle of a tender ballad Leilani was singing something happened on the screen and almost everybody in the audience jumped up and started yelling with their hands in the air. Our thought of course was, "What are we doing here?"

2) Waste of time and resources. One of my two 'day jobs' while testing the 'straight world' was as a field engineer for a Cable TV manufacturer. I was on the job making changes to the system and the entire crew went to a bar after work. The supervisors, the engineer (me) the technicians, and the grunts (ditch diggers and other manual laborers) A football game was on and the grunts started quoting all kinds of facts about the players, where they went to college, their statistics for every year from college to the present and a lot more. They used an enormous about of their brain for what is absolutely useless to them. If they applied that brain power to something else, perhaps they wouldn't have been grunts.

3) Colleges are indemnified by their sports team. Is this what college is supposed to be? Isn't it supposed to be an institute of higher education? The world knows the name of the quarterback, but who knows the name of the debate team captain, or the med research student who is developing a promising cure for some dreaded disease?

4) It hurts our children more than illegal drugs. What? More people get injured playing school sports than doing illegal drugs (I'm not condoning the drugs). In fact, it is such common knowledge that if you see a person limping in a movie or TV show, chances are it will be revealed that he was injured playing college sports or fighting in some war.

I even dislike little league. When I grew up we played sand-lot baseball. Whoever showed up got to play. Players were chosen on the spot by the day's captains taking turns picking so the teams were different every day. Everybody got to play, even if there were 10 outfielders. Plus, no adults were involved, there was no pressure to win, and no emotional baggage to take home. In other words, all of the fun, and none of the stress.

The last football game I watched was in the 1970s, and I haven't watched a sporting event since. Just say "No" to sports.

I can think of a lot more reasons to dislike all sports, but I have to sign off, I have an appointment to get fitted for new musician's ear plugs (the old ones are getting worn out)

Notes

• Members

I like the game of football. I hate the NFL. I see it as strategy, teamwork, execution, persistence, and each new play an opportunity to redeem the last one that failed.

I played it in school, but I never fit in with the team. In fact, since I lived in the sticks, I was ostracized because I couldn't go to parties or go raise hell after the games. But I did love the science of it, the since I was a lineman playing both offense and defense, I relly liked the physical challenge of beating your opponent.

You can't judge everyone by sports. I became a singer/songwriter/musician. One of my teammates is an award winning architect. Another is a college prof in economics. Two are career military guys, one an officer in special ops and a the other a submarine commander. Three that I know of are successful business owners.

• Members

I like the game of football. I hate the NFL. I see it as strategy, teamwork, execution, persistence, and each new play an opportunity to redeem the last one that failed.

I played it in school, but I never fit in with the team. In fact, since I lived in the sticks, I was ostracized because I couldn't go to parties or go raise hell after the games. But I did love the science of it, the since I was a lineman playing both offense and defense, I relly liked the physical challenge of beating your opponent.

You can't judge everyone by sports. I became a singer/songwriter/musician. One of my teammates is an award winning architect. Another is a college prof in economics. Two are career military guys, one an officer in special ops and a the other a submarine commander. Three that I know of are successful business owners.

There's a definite difference in the college game, too. In the average college stadium, the majority of season ticket holders are alumni and family. Generally, educated people. Not that education and intelligence are necessarily correlated, but it isn't the beer-chugging stereotype NFL fans either. IN GENERAL.

• Members

Wow... ragging on sports. I play hockey, I've coached for 8 years, my 7 year old plays hockey and baseball, my 12 year old daughter played hockey and soccer, we watch football as a family, my friend is a coach at Notre Dame, my kids get straight A's, I'm carrying a 4.0. Does anyone want to beat us up? ;)

• Members

Wow... ragging on sports. I play hockey, I've coached for 8 years, my 7 year old plays hockey and baseball, my 12 year old daughter played hockey and soccer, we watch football as a family, my friend is a coach at Notre Dame, my kids get straight A's, I'm carrying a 4.0. Does anyone want to beat us up?
;)

That's different. You live in Buffalo. Sports is the only thing you got! :poke:

• Members

... anyway we got paid and nobody got hurt.

Ha! The sign of a good gig.

Football is cool in that all the guys on the field are critical for the team to win. One guy blows his task, and you're toast, baby.

But I can't watch it anymore. A couple years ago I went to a continuing education thing (optometry) on head trauma. After that, it's not fun for me anymore.

• Members

Wow... ragging on sports. I play hockey, I've coached for 8 years, my 7 year old plays hockey and baseball, my 12 year old daughter played hockey and soccer, we watch football as a family, my friend is a coach at Notre Dame, my kids get straight A's, I'm carrying a 4.0. Does anyone want to beat us up?
;)

I love Sports. I played VERY high level soccer until I had to choose between it and music. I also played baseball growing up. I dig PLAYING sports as a release. I just don't happen to gel with that certain football type of guy that I described but I will admit all football guys might not be like the ones I abhor. I do not know this to be the case because I don't know any football guys :)

• Members

I love Sports. I played VERY high level soccer until I had to choose between it and music. I also played baseball growing up. I dig PLAYING sports as a release. I just don't happen to gel with that certain football type of guy that I described but I will admit all football guys might not be like the ones I abhor. I do not know this to be the case because I don't know any football guys
:)

I will say that I would much much much rather talk music with a football guy than football with a music guy. I'll have different tastes most likely, but it's harder to be just plain wrong when talking music, so they can usually fake it a little better.

• Members

I had a KILLER outside gig last year playing on sundays! I told the owner I'd go long and I'd be the "bumper music" all football afternoon. I played half times, commercials, and all the boring {censored} in between the actual game. I'd start for the early game and go until about an hour past dark. it stretched out one of my outside places until time changed!

• Members

I like watching football-I played in HS and could have played in college but decided to focus on the guitar. I do have a dislike for the nfl admin. as well as the owners. IME, football players are no different than any other people-some cool, some not. I've played many bars where they had football on TV. I always felt that if they were stupid enough to pay a band to play during a game, I might as well watch the game too. And that's what I did, watched the game while we were playing. I don't think I've ever had a gig cancelled becasue of a game, but I'm not in a big college football town.

Archived