what does a sonic maximizer do?

• Members

To me,
they can be used subtlety and can help a little..but far to many people expect alot out of them...but truthfully, to 99percent of listeners and 99percent of players could get similar results with proper EQ..which is free, already om your gear usually, and if it isnt..you never bought a good amp in the first place.
In the studio BBEs Sonic maximizer can have a tiny role..but its pretty rare. hey for 79 bucks..its not the biggest mistake you could make,ya know.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

BBE's are not designed for guitars or guitar amps.

They were designed for live PA applications only. You can buy them on Ebay all day long for $20 a pop. people are practically giving them away because they know they suck.

It boosts the lows and highs to make the crappy midrangey PA with small speakers sound bigger than it actually is. How well that works is about as good as many novel ideas that have died along the wayside including a Mole Bass booster.

If you had a decent setup to begin with you wouldnt need the enhancement.

If you use it on a crappy system, then you have a bigger crappy sounding system.

• Members

I bought a used one on ebay after I tried the VST plugin demo long ago.

I had it out of my system for a long time, actually, I used it with my stereo (which sounded awesome).

Now that I've got my racks finished, I've got it back in my rig, on the "wet" side, with very subtle settings. But I'm using two power amps, and the "dry" side is completely unaffected, so I'm getting a blending of the two. This seemed like a fair and judicious use to me. It's not coloring my whole tone, just a slice of it. Then again, I'm a bedroom guy ...

For $79 you could do worse, and like it said ... if you don't like it in your rig, hook it up to your stereo and it will sound awesome.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 3shiftgtr View Post
bought one, no likey, sold it....

But Satriani uses one as a staple....Vai as well...there are others. I hear that if you are in the studio, and you run your signal into a load box, they are essential. So somebody knows something I don't. Recognize, haters.
I've never once heard that...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The only good that a BBE Sonic Maximizer can do that I've found is if you use it in a PA and run your SUBS only thru it (assuming you have a cheap PA) to allow you to get a little more oomph from your otherwise lower end PA...

It's already been discussed about their affect on guitar tone - it should NOT be used on guitar...but for those with a lesser ear will often hear an "improvement" in what they think is an awesome tone - they'll learn the hard way or end up quitting before long - don't worry.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jimosity View Post
The only good that a BBE Sonic Maximizer can do that I've found is if you use it in a PA and run your SUBS only thru it (assuming you have a cheap PA) to allow you to get a little more oomph from your otherwise lower end PA...
There is nothing a maximizer does to PA sound that can't be done with a 31-Band EQ. No PA should ever include one on output.

As for guitar (or even vocals): A maximizer changes sound, as does every other effects unit. Used as an effect, it can be used artistically. Under no circumstance however, should you be running 100% maximizer 100% of the time.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

What a joke!

For all you guitar-slinging metal-thrashing folk, that's right, the Sonic Maximizer WASNT MADE FOR YOU.

For the rest of the world, the sonic maximizer can be a really useful tool that does things that NO OTHER outboard device will do.

You CAN NOT recreate the sound of it just with an EQ. In contrast, depending on which EQ you use, you're going to throw your phase all over the place!. If you use a maximizer directly after your EQ, then you can correct the damage that you do to the phase and GET RID OF SOME OF THAT MIDRANGE HARMONIC DISTORTION.

It's not a loudness button. It's not an amplifier. If you use it like that, then YES, it will sound terrible. Don't use it on distorion. Don't use it on guitar. Don't use it on bass.

Go ahead, I dare any one of you to throw a sonic maximizer on your drums bus and tell me that it doesn't make the toms and the kick SING.

Buncha freakin' knobbly curmudgeony 60s engineers, the lot of ya.

No.. I looked at his account. He just registered today, and is using a non-proxy IP address that is not, and has never been used by any other member.

In other words, he looks legit to me. smile.gif

Sometimes people find old threads via a Google search, or while merely browsing around the site. Occasionally one of those posts will be enough to make them drop out of "lurker mode" and register so they can reply to it - even if it's a two or three year old thread... idea.gif It happens a lot. smile.gif

• Members

PROTIP: Don't buy the $79 sonic maximizer pedal.

A guy I know has one of the expensive, rackmount ones. Try one of these, and run it into your effects loop. It sounds amazing.

Also it is meant for us thrash metal people - I screwed with the abovementioned sonic maximizer for about thirty seconds and got a totally insane tone. I was using a metal zone, and it basically stuck all the bass back in the metal zone had sucked out.

Of course, then I was so happy it didn't sound like trebley crap that I cranked the gain way too high and had to rerecord it later.

• Members

The only time I ever found a sonic maximizer to be useful (except for straightening a short sofa leg) is in a PA, used to compensate for the room it's playing in. When we play out, I have a little 4-space rack with the BBE 482i, a power conditioner, and some useless junk with blinky lights. We run all the stuff to our mixer, through the BBE, and into the house mixer. all our tones sound fine in regular venues with good acoustics, but sometimes we need a little more oomph or a little less bite, depending on how the room itself is. for everything else, I find it to be somewhat less than useless.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived