HCLAF Speaker Project

• Members

I am just wondering if spaceing the 15 above the horn like the 215 has it will benifit by narrowing the pattern bit (in the vertical plane)for the low mid. Or will it just make a comb filter mess. I realise that this is one in the same , but where does it change from one to the other?

Spacing drive units apart will change the directivity of their combined response whether in a single cabinet (with a gap between the drive units) or multiple cabinets. This technique is not new and I

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Dan Magers

Bump.

Anyone still working on this?

I would like to be... unfortunately I just had a heart attack about 3 wks ago (i'm only 47) and that along with other committments has put a real crimp in what I will be able to do for a bit. I would really like to explore the 1-12", 2-6.5" and a double hornslot??? concept a bit more to keep the component count and overall size down a bit.

Has anybody explored the slot compression driver any further? I haven't gone back and re-read some of the older postings yet, but I believe that some of the earlier work that was done had problems with the midrange but not the highs???

What would be a good setup for measuring any prototypes that I might build? I think it would be a good for a lot of us to have a "primer" on how to accurately measure a single speaker or a complete system.

Thanks!

• Members

I've been doing a bit on my own setup, which is a departure from the original HCLAF in that I am going for higher crossover points. Sticking with the Eminence Alpha6 drivers, I have managed two drivers crossfiring into one horn throat, with two 1" compression drivers down the middle.

prototypefront3xc.jpg

Took some fancy throat work and phase plugs on the 6" drivers to get them to sum nicely, but have managed to get smooth response up to the crossover point of 3.5kHz with very even horizontal dispersion of 90 degrees.

prototypefront28pf.jpg

As can be seen below, the rear is very cramped, with the HF drivers nearly touching the edge of the Alphas. Lot of work so far, but I am happy with result.

prototyperear8ru.jpg

The lower crossover point of this is around 500Hz. The next part of the experimenting will be flanking the above with two 8" ported horns to cover down to 125Hz.

Cheers

Graeme

• Members

Nice looking work ...

What's the vertical response look like? How about when you stack a few of 'em.

I'm just afraid that no matter what you do with compression drivers you just end up with a "wave guide".

Anybody build any with ribbons?

• Members

Haven't actually done measurements in the vertical plane as yet - I was just happy to get consistant sound across the horizontal. Just moving up and down seems to suggest reasonably narrow in the vertical - maybe around 15 degrees or so. As this is only the evolving first prototype, I don't have a clue how well they will array as yet. Once I get the low mid section happening, then I will try a second unit to test the arrayability.

Its been a long time getting this far - further development may be a few months further down the track.

Cheers

Graeme

• Members

Hi Steve,

The 500Hz is not a set point as yet. The horn as it is at the moment will go down to 500Hz, and drops off much below this. The actual crossover point may be around 600Hz yet - will be open to experiment when the low mid section is done.

As this will be part of a 4-way system (3-way top), I can't see the point of NOT evenly dividing the octave ranges between each driver - crossover points around 125Hz, 550Hz, 3.5kHz give pretty much around 2.5 octaves each driver.

One of my favourite commercial boxes, the Martin W8C, runs somewhere around 120Hz, 750Hz, and 3.5kHz.

Cheers

Graeme

• Members

Originally posted by Centauri

Hi Steve,

The 500Hz is not a set point as yet. The horn as it is at the moment will go down to 500Hz, and drops off much below this. The actual crossover point may be around 600Hz yet - will be open to experiment when the low mid section is done.

As this will be part of a 4-way system (3-way top), I can't see the point of NOT evenly dividing the octave ranges between each driver - crossover points around 125Hz, 550Hz, 3.5kHz give pretty much around 2.5 octaves each driver.

One of my favourite commercial boxes, the Martin W8C, runs somewhere around 120Hz, 750Hz, and 3.5kHz.

Cheers

Graeme

Although I have never heard teh design, .. it seems to incorperate a lot of ideas, that I would have used if I was designing a system like that. I wish I could make horns!

Kevin.

• Members

With most of the designs that have come up the dual bass cone method tended to put the low to mid cross over point at about 200-300Hz so the 500-600 seemed a bit high based on previous discussions. If I

• Members

Whilst I haven't heard it, it would seem to be a low efficiency, cheap way to jump on the line array bandwagon. I have been less than impressed with most of AT's previous offerings, and with a 2" compression driver and low crossover point, couldn't see this as much different.

Cheers

Graeme

• Members

Originally posted by Centauri

Whilst I haven't heard it, it would seem to be a low efficiency, cheap way to jump on the line array bandwagon. I have been less than impressed with most of AT's previous offerings, and with a 2" compression driver and low crossover point, couldn't see this as much different.

Cheers

Graeme

Its very similar to what I've been using.

+1 for low efficiency.

• Members

As a horn guru you are obviously used to high efficiencies, but if the figures are correct, 99dB sensitivity seems reasonable for a couple of 10

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I built mine.;)

If you are in/near Dallas you can come and hear them at the Dallas Guitar Show ... I'll be doing sound for Phil Keaggy, George Lynch, F5, Deconstruct and Gary Hoey

http://www.guitarshow.com/musicfest.html

If you've never heard ribbon speakers before, now's your chance. Actually we'll be doing a cross country tour in May and June.

• Members

any pictures or plans of the cabs you would share? all of the old pictures seem to be corrupted. i feel like alot of this information is lost because there is no archive or anything. I would be open to registering a domain and hosting a site if there was enough of the plans and discussion around.

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

I built mine.
;)

If you are in/near Dallas you can come and hear them at the Dallas Guitar Show ... I'll be doing sound for Phil Keaggy, George Lynch, F5, Deconstruct and Gary Hoey

http://www.guitarshow.com/musicfest.html

If you've never heard ribbon speakers before, now's your chance. Actually we'll be doing a cross country tour in May and June.

Ahh I know Gary Hoey, he's from my hometown. Tell Gary And Kondz (bass player) Dan from audioeast said..........no matter where ya go.........there i am....and tell Gary to turn the {censored} down!

Archived