HCLAF Speaker Project

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Cool... light cabinets really make the design of the support hardware so much easier.

Is that an aluminum (or steel) plate on the side of the cabinet that the links connect together?

I think this has some good possibilities...

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Are the pins threaded 3/8"-16 through holes in the links into threaded inserts in the steel end plate or is the steel inside the cabinet?

Hey Andy,

The "pins" are 3/8" x 1" grip QRP's, The ATM truss plates are bolted through the box to a 2"x 2" 3/8 x 16 internal brace with 3/8" x 16 grade 8 bolts and Locktite. The plate is held off the box with stand off spacers to allow the swing arms to move freely. The adjustment points are set @ 2.5 degree increments with a transport position to make the system captive in transport.

The install is at an amphitheater in eastern Washington called The Gorge. It

• Members

Generally Ultrasound does a really good job. The MILO speakers are an exceptional piece of engineering and really show the difference in line array technology, even compared with top line conventional boxes. As you know, I have always been a fan of John Meyer's work, he has a real grasp of not only the engineering principles but also the real world applications and what works rather than what should work.

I did some installation engineering work on a project that his wife Helen was involved with in San Francisco. The gear did everything it was supposed to do (and was WAY overkill for the room) and everyone was happy (of course... duh who wouldn't be) with the results.

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Hey Gary-

What cabs are you bringing to the winery this season? I believe you were using EAW's last year...

We will be using our KF650/SB1000 rig this year... The roof system is new this year and we will be able to fly the rig this time around as they are pushing a little bigger acts this year as well.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Generally Ultrasound does a really good job. The MILO speakers are an exceptional piece of engineering and really show the difference in line array technology, even compared with top line conventional boxes. As you know, I have always been a fan of John Meyer's work, he has a real grasp of not only the engineering principles but also the real world applications and what works rather than what should work.

I did some installation engineering work on a project that his wife Helen was involved with in San Francisco. The gear did everything it was supposed to do (and was WAY overkill for the room) and everyone was happy (of course... duh who wouldn't be) with the results.

Indeed Ulrtasound did a fine job... They will be passing through in Sept. packing a Vertec rig when they our out with The Dave Mathews Band. It will be interesting to compare the two riggs provided by the same company in the same venue.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by Ford Audio Serv

The rigging is steel... ATM has it rated @ 1600# at 100# per box. Here is a pic from an install with the system.

Hey Gary... I recognize the real estate in the back ground. That's The Gorge at George. Very impressive... "X-Max" Line Array Speakers doing duty as the delay towers at The Gorge. Wow. That's running with the big dogs... for sure. For those here not aware of what "The Gorge" is: It's the premier large outdoor amphitheatre in these parts. More info here: http://www.gorgeconcerts.com/

Anyway... that's definitely a right of passage and a major accomplishment getting the speakers into service at that level of a venue. Very impressive...Atta boy's all around.

Is there different configurations of boxes there on that tower, or one model? I haven't read the whole thread... so maybe this has already been explained. Since they're delay towers, how's it tied into the FOH system? (power, processing... that sort of stuff?) I know The Gorge is an all summer outdoor deal... do the speakers just hang there on the tower all summer? What kind of coverage are the delay towers expected to cover?

You got any kind of a press release coming up?

Pretty cool stuff.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

Hey Gary... I recognize the real estate in the back ground. That's The Gorge at George. Very impressive... "X-Max" Line Array Speakers doing duty as the delay towers at The Gorge. Wow. That's running with the big dogs... for sure. For those here not aware of what "The Gorge" is: It's the premier large outdoor amphitheatre in these parts.

Well Mark

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Seems we all have been too busy to post.

I'll recommend those building arrays keep things closely spaced. I've seen 10" drivers tightly spaced having severe nulls as low as 500 hz polar.

Play around with what you have on hand. Its a great learning experience.

• Members

Busy... no kidding!!!

I have found that adding a degree or so to each cabinet can really smooth things out... at the expense of slightly more vertical dispersion. In my case it was a good tradeoff. Mine are dual 12" line array cabinets and like anything it's a compromise but for my application it was clearly a good one.

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

Yamaha P7000s:

950W X 2 ( 20Hz-20kHz, THD+N=0.1%) 4ohm stereo

3200W X 1 ( inflated Yamaha 20ms. measurement ) 4ohm bridge

26lbs.

$535 (what I paid for mine...you may find one cheaper).

I dunno...kinda light, cheap, powerful...

Where'd ya get that price? Used?

I see them going for $700

• Members

Not mechanically possible on mine.

Ok, I know the topic is line arrays. I'm cheating here:cool:

I'm using Meyer UPAs. I'd like to lock together pairs (right now I'm using straps) top and bottom, not side by side. I thought I'd put together something that looks like the adjustor you see on line boxes and something like a hinge on the backs. Sometimes I need to fire the top box up (balcony) so I thought an adjustment of a few degrees would come in handy and then I won't have to 'block' them up.

I have entertained the idea of stuffing the speakers and horns sideways in a line box just for fun. Then reality checks in;)

• Members

Originally posted by Ford Audio Serv

On the subject of ground stack splay, what has been working ok on my getto rig is... blocks in the front of the cabs like Andy speaks of. Here is a pic of the rig set up in a small venue.

That's almost exactly the same amount of splay I use on my rig. It really smooths the sound out from the high mids on up.

Archived