HCLAF Speaker Project

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by dboomer

I built mine.
;)

If you are in/near Dallas you can come and hear them at the Dallas Guitar Show ... I'll be doing sound for Phil Keaggy, George Lynch, F5, Deconstruct and Gary Hoey

http://www.guitarshow.com/musicfest.html

If you've never heard ribbon speakers before, now's your chance. Actually we'll be doing a cross country tour in May and June.

Derringer's aged a little since the last time I saw him (in like 1978).

So, can you post some pictures when they become available?

Man... I live in the sticks. That looks like a great show... too bad it's such a long drive.:(

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by milesdf

Wow I had never seen this thread before, im about 50% through and I think im taking a break until tonight. It seems like most of the original conspirators except andy are long gone though, too bad.

There's a wealth of line array info here if you have the time to read thru all of it. I urge you to do so.

It appears everyone has come up with their own version. I'm still working with a half ass design that sounds great but looks/rigs like {censored}. Some day I will rebuild...

Thanks to everyone here. It has been a great inspiration to me.

HC has to be one of the best forum groups I have run across. My line array research is how I ended up discovering this helpful group.

Dan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

While not a LA, I've been working (OK, the boss has, I've been building) on a horn loaded 10/2" downfill box.

Slightly shorter, and slightly wider than a KF-650, nice routed handles in the sides of the box (you can actually use the edges of the handle as a handle, the handle inside box is roughly 2" overside in all directions).

Hope to have them all ready for paint tonight, as they go out on Wed on thier first official show completed (we've been tweaking the horns w/out an outer box for about a month now).

They sit atop of Servo-Drive SDL5's and a Servo-Drive 2x15 quasi horn (can't remember the model number, but they only made about 250 of them, and didn't work out handles :mad:, thats another project on the big list of the 'if/when there is time to do' list)

I do have pics, but didn't bring my cable to d/l them to the computer.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Can't find the photos yet, but the 210 version w/ 1-1/2" HF and custom DSP processing performed exactly as expected the first time out. ~4000 seat arena covered w/ 8 cabinets at one end w/ an SPL of 98dB 250 feet away. Perfect for this application. Total weight WITH 28kW of amps is 525 lbs, and takes up about 30 cubic feet.

If you follow bass gear, it was part of the basic research that is seen in the production Shuttle series cabinets, high output lightweight compact bass guitar cabinets. The line array project was the foundation of the acoustic R&D.

I've got an 8 box set of the original 212 version available, w/ ATM Flyware already installed. I also have an 8 box set of the new cabinets available too. PM me if interested.

• Members

Can't find the photos yet, but the 210 version w/ 1-1/2" HF and custom DSP processing performed exactly as expected the first time out. ~4000 seat arena covered w/ 8 cabinets at one end w/ an SPL of 98dB 250 feet away. Perfect for this application. Total weight WITH 28kW of amps is 525 lbs, and takes up about 30 cubic feet.

Like claire bros' pistons?

• 4 months later...
  • Members

If you follow bass gear, it was part of the basic research that is seen in the production Shuttle series cabinets, high output lightweight compact bass guitar cabinets. The line array project was the foundation of the acoustic R&D.

I've got an 8 box set of the original 212 version available, w/ ATM Flyware already installed. I also have an 8 box set of the new cabinets available too. PM me if interested.

Well Andy,

Do you still have these boxes? Are you still using them? What sub did you use with them?

Would they work 4 per side?

• Members

Well Andy,

Do you still have these boxes? Are you still using them? What sub did you use with them?

Would they work 4 per side?

Yes I have 14 left. 4 a side is ideal for a very nice large club system. I used them with a JBL sub like the MP418. For the music I do, 2 subs under 4 tops was a nice balance.

Here's a photo of the 12" version that are now surplus:

• Members

Yes I have 14 left. 4 a side is ideal for a very nice large club system. I used them with a JBL sub like the MP418. For the music I do, 2 subs under 4 tops was a nice balance.

Here's a photo of the 12" version that are now surplus:

Man! I've got to hand it to you, that is AWESOME!

:thu:

So what did you end up using in them?

• Members

Man! I've got to hand it to you, that is AWESOME!

:thu:

So what did you end up using in them?

The old ones are from 8 years ago, and have custom Eminence LF drivers and a dual small format 1" HF section. It was done this way for the additional pattern control and better HF coupling given the components available at that time.

The new ones are custom Neo 10" drivers and RCF 1.5" Neo HF drivers, taking advantage of newer technology.

There's a lot of money tied up in components. I've got 32 of the new boxes, 8 of those might be avaolable too.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Good ones certainly can.
;)

Yes indeed...

BTW, What horn flare did you use in the ones pictured?

I ask because I found it tough to get enough horizontal coverage, match the lf driver(s) pattern at xover and keep the box a reasonable size. The selection of off the shelf flares is nil.

Archived