HCLAF Speaker Project

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

When a sound source is small compared to the wavelengths it is producing and the listener is a large distance away compared to the size of the same sound source the sound radiates omni directionally. With multiple sound sources or large radiating sources there are path length differences between the different sources (or parts of the large radiating surface) and the listener. These multiple signals add together or interfere. For the none mathematicians, add or sum together doesn

• Members

Most texts that I have read take the centre to centre as the separation distance, which reduces the measurement by the width of a single drive unit from how you did it. As I said this is not something that works one way up to a set frequency and then swaps to something else. The change in radiation pattern is gradual. I

• Members

Originally posted by CloseToTheEdge

Does anybody have a method of calculating/visualizing this interference/lobing so a cabinet could be modelled to effectively use this effect to narrow the horizontal dispersion without creating any side lobes or null spots?

FEA

"Radiation Pattern and Reflection Predictive Tools "

http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/frdgroup.htm

This is a topic im extremely interested in,even if just for home horn systems which minimise room interaction with a 'more like headphones' sound.

http://www.burton-manor.co.uk/Audio/LAthoughts.htm >> interesting link!

Cheers!

• Members

So it looks like I will be moving my woodshop back to my shop later this spring, maybe I will have some time to carry this project a bit further. I have access to some pretty interesting OEM samples that could make a pretty slick compact line array, and maybe if Mark passes through this summer we can whip up some cabinets between lunch and dinner!

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

So it looks like I will be moving my woodshop back to my shop later this spring, maybe I will have some time to carry this project a bit further. I have access to some pretty interesting OEM samples that could make a pretty slick compact line array, and maybe if Mark passes through this summer we can whip up some cabinets between lunch and dinner!

What kind of new samples? Compression drivers, speakers, horns, waveguides, flyware, etc???? Come on! let us all in on the latest and greatest... unless of course you have an NDA! Then just give us a Hint!!!

• Members

The future is one word... Neodymium!

It's the combination of mid-sized voice coils, edge-winding, limiting X-max to increase efficiency, compact packaging that will make a useable box. It won't be the "best", or the "most efficient" or highest power handling, but when you look at SPL versus size/weight/cost it will rank up near the top.

It uses the principles we have discussed in this thread and so far promises to deliver the goods, but I want to wait until I actually cut some wood and make measurements before bragging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been looking for some good quality 1'" drivers for this project that won't break the bank but will deliver smooth, clean highs at a decent spl. WHat are you guys seeing that fits that bill? I've tried some of the lower end Selenium drivers and have not been very happy with them. At the same time, some of the better brand 1" drivers from JBL, Beyma, Radian, B&C etc... come with price tags that for experimental purposes, makes it rather difficult to handle when you're building line arrays with 2 drivers per box. Some suggestions would be apprectiated.

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

I've been looking for some good quality 1'" drivers for this project that won't break the bank but will deliver smooth, clean highs at a decent spl. WHat are you guys seeing that fits that bill? I've tried some of the lower end Selenium drivers and have not been very happy with them. At the same time, some of the better brand 1" drivers from JBL, Beyma, Radian, B&C etc... come with price tags that for experimental purposes, makes it rather difficult to handle when you're building line arrays with 2 drivers per box. Some suggestions would be apprectiated.

Thanks!

Zomax

www.prozomax.com

1-480-628-7758

The factory has a direct outlet now in Pheonix. You have to be persistant, but it's the best deal out there as far as I know.

BMS is worth consideration as well. Jack Arnot is the guy to contact for that. I can hook you up if you wanna e-mail me.

• Members

WHat are you guys seeing that fits that bill?

I've been using some of the Sammi drivers http://www.sammisound.com/products/pro/pro.htm

especially SM-106 and SM-35T, and have been impressed with the sound vs cost. A supplier here in Aus imports some of these, but cannot work out from their website if they have US distributor.

I think their web site may be out of date also, as there is another new model I have used which doesn't appear on the site.

Cheers

Graeme

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I am , .. just don't have any freaking time!!!!

I was looking in to useing a design like the v dosc - 2 15/s 4 mid and 3 highs ... might even fit a 4th in there!

yea, .. in the next month I plan to cut a lot of wood, .. need to build a set of 4 standard trap boxes first though.

SO much to do so little time.

I am sure you all agree.

• Members

we have talked a bit about how the spaeing between drivers plays with comp filtering and such.

I am wondering how ever if you had a spaced pair of drivers -(like a 15 inch each side of a horn like almost all LA's have) what benifit is there? Why would you not run teh 15's side by side? - or is it that that make one of them too far away.

I seem to rember something about it narrowing that distersion pattern.- can someone explain this?

Kev.

• Members

Anytime you have two sources radiating the same signal, the sources will combine to narrow the dispersion in the plane of the two sources. Thats the basic theory behind line arrays. A big pile of speakers will have narrow vertical dispersion.

This same effect works against you(for horizontal dispersion) when you have two woofers and a tweeter working at the crossover frequency where they are all radiating at once.

Some of the line array designs roll off the highs from one of the low drivers so in effect there is only one woofer and the tweeter, which will improve horizontal dispersion.

• Members

okay. so my point that I was thinking off.

And just for a second here, .. think of this out side the context of an a Line array.

compare the u215 (a cab that has 15 -horn- 15 config) to that of the standard was of doing it - 15-15 - horn (like the ones made by JBL/PEAVY/and even yorkville ect)

ignore the horn part for a moment, I am just wondering if spaceing the 15 above the horn like the 215 has it will benifit by narrowing the pattern bit (in the vertical plane)for the low mid. Or will it just make a comb filter mess. I realise that this is one in the same , but where does it change from one to the other?

Kev.

• Members

Originally posted by kevinnem

okay. so my point that I was thinking off.

And just for a second here, .. think of this out side the context of an a Line array.

compare the u215 (a cab that has 15 -horn- 15 config) to that of the standard was of doing it - 15-15 - horn (like the ones made by JBL/PEAVY/and even yorkville ect)

ignore the horn part for a moment, I am just wondering if spaceing the 15 above the horn like the 215 has it will benifit by narrowing the pattern bit (in the vertical plane)for the low mid. Or will it just make a comb filter mess. I realise that this is one in the same , but where does it change from one to the other?

Kev.

I would imagine the xover freq (15s/unity horn) of the U215 would be below the critical 1/2wl spacing.

Or, one of the 15s might be low passed.

I don't believe its long (tall) enough to narrow the vert pattern much.

• Members

Download the arrayshow software from the EV website and you can fool around with different point source spacings and see the resulting radiation patterns for differnt frequencies.

Granted this is based on theoretical perfect point sources, but it gives you an idea of how things interact.

Archived