HCLAF Speaker Project

• Members

So Aged ... what is your rig?

Re; ground splay ...

Has anyone ever rigged a frame that would allow the array to be J arrayed but not so tall? Back in the day the Billy Graham folks used to carry these jungle gym frames and gimble mount all the speakers.

I can't tell what Gary is shooting to but it seems pointless (from how I'm seeing it) to splay one speaker up. I was thinking a balcony or something. Gary ... what's up?

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My line array boxes are very similar to Gary's, except a 2-12" version with a more conventional CD horn array... about 60 degrees vertical but the summed pattern decreases with increased array length (as expected).

I have flyware on my boxes too. I have one rig installed with 3 tops and 2 18's per side in a 1000 seat theatre and it works very well for everything but harder rock/punk/trash/metal.

My other rig is 4 tops and 2 18's per side and I use it for similar applications. The thing I like about both Gary's and my boxes are that they are rectangular and stack nicely with "getto shims" and they are very light (by comparison).

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

So Aged ... what is your rig?

Re; ground splay ...

I can't tell what Gary is shooting to but it seems pointless (from how I'm seeing it) to splay one speaker up. I was thinking a balcony or something. Gary ... what's up?

You nailed it... The venue is a 1500 seat outdoor theater up the road from me. We do eight to ten shows there every summer. There is a nice slope to the lawn we are pointing the upper speakers at.

The difraction device is complements of the the lighting contractor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by poteiroscorp

Hi !!

I just saw this:

WL5 line array driver from beyma

could this work for the project??

See ya

look on "motores line array"

OR... switch to the English section!

This looks like an interesting solution, and possibly very good though maybe manufacturer specific with respect to the driver. I can't tell if other drivers could be used if there were sourcing or replacement parts difficulties.

• Members

That's why it looked so interesting to me.

I am a firm believer in the smaller line array cabinets. 12" and smaller is attractive. The biggest problem I see with 8" units is that there is a very limited availability of higher powered and efficient drivers that go down to below 80 Hz without getting into some serious non-linearities.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I guess beyma could best answer that. I picked up on this particular unit because someone mentioned it earlier in this thread. My take is that it would be used in a similar configuration to the JBL Vertec system at the back of the V section. Another possibility would be coupling the device straight to the front baffle as Renkus Heinz has done with their PN series. This latter method certainly takes the diffraction effect to the extreme and was done by Vitavox years ago with their 4K horn. The big problem with sudden changes in cross section (as I

• Members

Originally posted by poteiroscorp

Hello

I guess there isn't yet a final desing of the HCLA (besides de prototypes from Ford)

Why anybody use Eminence linearray drives ??

Cheers

The efficiency and bandwidth just aren't what we were looking for on the original project.

Archived