Max power for PV SP2G cabinets

• Members

Hello out there. I am new to this forum and I have a pretty stupid question. I have a pair of Peavey SP2G speaker cabinets. Power handling at full range is (300W Continuous/600W Program/1200W Peak). My question is this:

What is the optimal amount of power I need to give each of these speakers? What does continuous vs program vs peak mean?

Thanks so much for the help.

• Members
Originally posted by agradywills

Hello out there. I am new to this forum and I have a pretty stupid question. I have a pair of Peavey SP2G speaker cabinets. Power handling at full range is (300W Continuous/600W Program/1200W Peak). My question is this:

What is the optimal amount of power I need to give each of these speakers? What does continuous vs program vs peak mean?

Thanks so much for the help.

If you aren't real schooled I'd stick to the RMS/continuous rating. If you have a decent idea then somewhere between that and program and if you are really certain and have some way to keep your power buttoned down,then as high as the program. Beyond that,I should try to dispell some folklore about having to power a speaker with as much power as it will handle. If 50 clean watts gets you enough volume to do what you want/need,then that's all you need. If 300-500 doesn't,you need more speaker,not just more power.

• Members

I'd recommend either a PV2600 or a CS2000 for those speakers.

If you are waiting about a month to by the amp we are coming out with a new model ... PV1600. It's a Bi-amp package made especially for SP2's. There's a very special electronic crossover built in with 900 watts for the lows and 330 watts for the highs along with special EQ built in for SP2s.

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

I'd recommend either a PV2600 or a CS2000 for those speakers.

If you are waiting about a month to by the amp we are coming out with a new model ... PV1600. It's a Bi-amp package made especially for SP2's. There's a very special electronic crossover built in with 900 watts for the lows and 330 watts for the highs along with special EQ built in for SP2s.

Don

Sounds like an interesting amp. Do you know if it has a "Real" DSP processor it it or is it more like the X-1 crossover modual for the 800s?

With proper processing its now easy to answer the "How much power for my SP2's" questions that come around.

Kindest Regards

Dookietwo

• Members

Considering that there are more SP2's out there in the world than the next dozen speakers in line it seemed like a slam dunk!

The crossover is in fact a "X-1" that has been dialed in for SP2's. It has multi pole non symetrical filters and a fair amount of "non-textbook" voodoo built in. Sp2s have never sounded better.

BTW ... there's a new companion PV3800 subwoofer amp so the whole system becomes a triamp with one cable and no adjustments (except volume) needed.

• Members

Originally posted by dboomer

Considering that there are more SP2's out there in the world than the next dozen speakers in line it seemed like a slam dunk!

The crossover is in fact a "X-1" that has been dialed in for SP2's. It has multi pole non symetrical filters and a fair amount of "non-textbook" voodoo built in. Sp2s have never sounded better.

BTW ... there's a new companion PV3800 subwoofer amp so the whole system becomes a triamp with one cable and no adjustments (except volume) needed.

That sounds really cool. When you say SP2s, do you mean all the SP2s Peavey has ever made since way back when or just the recent models?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I had the same question and found this thread. The PV1600 looks great but I am confused about one thing. The amp has speak on outputs. The older SP2G speakers have 1/4" ins - one for hi one for low. How do you go about hooking this up? I apologive in advance if the answer is obvious... Please let me know!

• Members

For older SP2's with 2x 1/4 jacks (1 for low, 1 for high) you'd use a 4 pin speakon from the PV1600 terminating to dual 1/4 jacks. Not perfet since you need to be VERY careful in not sending low freq signal to the RX22 (or 22XT)

Is the Bi-Pack amp only good for the SP2 or is there a generic 2way mono crossover that will work for most 15/1" boxes. It also sounds like a great monitor amp too, a bit heavy on the high freq power though for a 1".

• Members

Don,

Please keep us appraised of this product. I'd been thinking about biamping the Sp2s and this may be exactly what I need.

I love my Sp2gs and don't plan to replace them anytime soon.

Joel

Archived