Peavey FH-1 subs?

• Members

So i called a store looking for cheap subwoofers and i was told that they had a set of old Peavey FH-1s for very cheap($175) and i wanted to know a bit more about them and am having trouble digging up info myself. Has anyone here had any experience with them? Are they a pretty good sub?

Thanks in advance

• Members

??? I searched Peavey but got nothing,...... I feel like an idiot

I dont see a crossover listed anywhere, i thought all subs had to have crossovers? Im not really all that knowledgable about live sound here so i could be wrong....

I hate to ask this question mostly because im fairly sure of the answer but would a newer cheap sub such as the Nadys be a better or worse deal than the FH-1s?

• Members

The Nadys might possibly be okay if you're willing to drive them very lightly and take care of whatever repairs (or modifications) might have to be made. Otherwise, I would say that the Peaveys, while lacking in deep bass, are very likely to work as designed without complaint for quite a while.

• Members
??? I searched Peavey but got nothing,...... I feel like an idiot

I dont see a crossover listed anywhere, i thought all subs had to have crossovers? Im not really all that knowledgable about live sound here so i could be wrong....

I hate to ask this question mostly because im fairly sure of the answer but would a newer cheap sub such as the Nadys be a better or worse deal than the FH-1s?

Hard to believe you aren't familiar with the old FH1. There were hordes of them around back in their day. Anything is better than the Nadys. Well, almost anything. If you were in my area, I'd give you a pair of empty FH1 bins. They will add a bit of punch to your kick, and give you something for the bass guitar under 100 hz, which is sometimes all a small "just starting out" band is looking for. But as mentioned, they don't go very low, and it is obvious why if you saw them. They are just plain too small and the horn is too short to do anything with really low frequencies. They are only 24X24X30, which is miniscule for a W-horn. So with a budget top cab, adding them, a crossover, and a power amp would definitely make a bit of improvement. And no, decent subs do not have built-in passive crossovers. That's the el-cheapos that do. And they are a horrible option. They rob lots of power and don't really do a very good job of crossing over at the suitable frequency either. Get an active crossover and separate power amp or amp channel for the subs.

• Members

I THOUGHT the FH1 system was designed ONLY to be used with an active crossover in 3 way mode minimum, more often 4 way or even 5 way. Lots of horn loaded cabs with limited frequency range but more efficient because of it. The efficiency was more important (or just as important) than sound accuracy because of the limited power available. And that "sub" for that system, made before subs as we now know them, was crossed about 300Hz (maybe 200Hz). Really an LF cabinet, not a sub as we now refer to them.

Boomerweps

• Members

That's what I thought too. There was a seperates speaker system that had a LF, MF and HF section and used CS-800's and 400's w/ the can crossovers. I don't think the FH-1 was intended to be a sub as we think of them in modern days.

• Members

I had an old pair of FH1 back in kansas. Ended up putting a Gauss 15 in each one (these were single 15's W bins) and used them a couple times. Each time I used a Yamaha PN90 crossover (line level passive @ 90hz 12db/oct) and an RMX1450 bridged into the pair. Yes way too much power, yes it did fart when pushed to hard...

With careful compression on the kick I was able to get a reasonable sound out of them. But they were a bit bulky, didn't go all that low, looked like ass, and I was moving to seattle so off they went.

p

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Buy them, you will not be sorry if they have the original speakers. I play in a rock band and I like old school stage sound. I have 4 sp-1's and 2 fh-1's and the horns that went with the FH-1's. With horns, they are basically the same as an SP-1. The FH-1's were sold with a mid speaker and a horn on top of that. You would run them with a three way crossover. A killer clean sound if you have three power amps

Those FH-1's are killer and will really thump the low end. they are tuff and will take a lot of abuse. If I lived closer, I would buy them. they would complete my stacks for both sides of the stage.

• Members

Buy them, you will not be sorry if they have the original speakers. I play in a rock band and I like old school stage sound. I have 4 sp-1's and 2 fh-1's and the horns that went with the FH-1's. With horns, they are basically the same as an SP-1. The FH-1's were sold with a mid speaker and a horn on top of that. You would run them with a three way crossover. A killer clean sound if you have three power amps

Those FH-1's are killer and will really thump the low end. they are tuff and will take a lot of abuse. If I lived closer, I would buy them. they would complete my stacks for both sides of the stage.

This thread is over 2 years old, my friend... :p

• Members

HAHAHAHHAHAHA who said the FH1 would thump LMAO.. Cmon smokey no way man those things are BIG heavey and do nothing but have a bad case of gas they fart everytime you touch the volume. You keep finding yourself wanting to turn it up and realize it is already as much as they can take! There isn't much to the low bass sound it has that higher bass ok. Still no voume!! I have a set of FH1's right now that is still alive and well but suck major donkey. I have been thinking of cutting the inside fold out and putting a ported 18 in and taking the black widows and putting them in floor monitors or something.. yep 15 inch black widows. Put it straight I think any bass bin would sound better than these things and the power to volume is really really BAAAAAAD. So anyone out there that finds these things hmmmmmmmm I don't know that a 100 bucks would even be worth loading them in the back of your truck!

• Members

HAHAHAHHAHAHA who said the FH1 would thump LMAO.. Cmon smokey no way man those things are BIG heavey and do nothing but have a bad case of gas they fart everytime you touch the volume. You keep finding yourself wanting to turn it up and realize it is already as much as they can take! There isn't much to the low bass sound it has that higher bass ok. Still no voume!! I have a set of FH1's right now that is still alive and well but suck major donkey. I have been thinking of cutting the inside fold out and putting a ported 18 in and taking the black widows and putting them in floor monitors or something.. yep 15 inch black widows. Put it straight I think any bass bin would sound better than these things and the power to volume is really really BAAAAAAD. So anyone out there that finds these things hmmmmmmmm I don't know that a 100 bucks would even be worth loading them in the back of your truck!

If they have the factory speakers in them just remember they are 4 ohm drivers.

Dookietwo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

the FH-1 is the bottom half of a FULL RANGE 2 way 100 watt rated SP-1 ,

but when they thump so hard , people often compare them to subs ...

crossed over @ 100/500hz 104 vs less than 98db ?

the SP1s are too big to comfortably load out , but I wonder if the horn would really compare that badly with an rx22 driver on it .

fh1.jpg

mrx5151.jpg

technology has improved quite alot , and I'd much rather move smaller boxes given the choice

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Also worth noting for anyone tinkering with FH-1's, they will need some minor TLC to get back in shape if not addressed since production.

a) Remove the BW woofer. These will have a foam filter piece within the pole piece. Most likely, you will not see it, because it has disintegrated and become a glue-ey tar like substance, stuck to the VC and within the gap. As the BW is able to be disassembled, this can be rectified with MEK/Acetone, however be sure to practice fume control, and do not let either sit too long on the VC windings, as they may remove the (epoxy?) coating.

b) Having gotten to the woofer via the trap door on the bottom, you will likely notice that the weather stripping has deteriorated. As a horn, it relies on a tight seal here. Remove and Replace the weatherstripping. Likely available for $3 @ your local hardware store. Ensure that the corners of the stripping are mated well to provide a good seal.

I noticed marked improvements after performing this maintenace. Sorry, no measurements.

Archived