New Yorkville Speaker

• Members

I clicked on a link that took me to the Yorkville E160P product page. It is on the discontinued list now and I wondered why.

Further browsing led me to the E10P, a 10 inch speaker (powered by a 300 watt Class D amp) with 1 inch horn driver (2 tier 50 watt amp). Add to that XLR/TRS combi jack for mic/line, selectable 50 or 100Hz roll-off, limiter with LED indicator, and a signal link out.

What appeals to me most are the AC voltage selector switch (120/230/240V) and the possibility of future Elite series active boxes. I'll be most interested in an E12P.

V.

• Members

I clicked on a link that took me to the
Yorkville E160P
product page. It is on the discontinued list now and I wondered why.

Further browsing led me to the
E10P
, a 10 inch speaker (powered by a 300 watt Class D amp) with 1 inch horn driver (2 tier 50 watt amp). Add to that XLR/TRS combi jack for mic/line, selectable 50 or 100Hz roll-off, limiter with LED indicator, and a signal link out.

What appeals to me most are the AC voltage selector switch (120/230/240V) and the possibility of future Elite series active boxes. I'll be most interested in an E12P.

V.

Excellent! That must be quite the 10'' woofer to handle all that power. Unfortunately, like the E160P, it will probably be very expensive... About the same price as an NX55P if I'm guessing correctly. But, it is super compact and should sound great paired up with a powered sub or two. I guess we'll have to wait for specs. And, yes a E12P and E15P would be awesome!:thu: Al

• Members

Excellent! That must be quite the 10'' woofer to handle all that power.

Careful Al. Yorkville claims "program power" for their powered speakers so it's not really 300W, more like 150W. In the end though, all that really matters is the delivered SPL. The specs don't seem available though.

• Members

Careful Al. Yorkville claims "program power" for their powered speakers so it's not really 300W, more like 150W. In the end though, all that really matters is the delivered SPL. The specs don't seem available though.

The program thing still doesn't make sense to me since program power ratings usually refer to speaker power handling and not amplifiers. This would mean my 200 watt powered YX15P is really powered at 100 watts?

I'm not sure how that would equal the claimed 122DB max SPL spec. If you look at the passive YX15, it does have a 99DB sensitivity, and applying 100 watts to this speaker would only yield 119DB. However, applying the rated 200 watts as Yorkville claims, does get you in the 122DB ballpark.

Also, if you look at the original E160P, I don't think 120+DB would be possible with only 80 watts of applied power.

Only Yorkville knows for sure.... I do know what you mean though, especially about the 550 watt power rating of the NX55P OR 720 watt rating of the LS720P for example. Looking at the NX55P, I imagine most of that 550 watts goes to making that 12'' woofer make that plastic box sound much bigger than it is....

Al

• Members

I clicked on a link that took me to the
product page. It is on the discontinued list now and I wondered why.

Further browsing led me to the
, a 10 inch speaker (powered by a 300 watt Class D amp) with 1 inch horn driver (2 tier 50 watt amp). Add to that XLR/TRS combi jack for mic/line, selectable 50 or 100Hz roll-off, limiter with LED indicator, and a signal link out.

V.

I would like to see an E12P as well. Should have a monitor angle too it as the 10 seems to have. I would much rather see an ef500p in a monitor enclosure.

Hey Yorkville.....:poke:

Waiting

Dookietwo

• Members

The program thing still doesn't make sense to me since program power ratings usually refer to speaker power handling and not amplifiers. This would mean my 200 watt powered YX15P is really powered at 100 watts?

I'm not sure how that would equal the claimed 122DB max SPL spec. If you look at the passive YX15, it does have a 99DB sensitivity, and applying 100 watts to this speaker would only yield 119DB. However, applying the rated 200 watts as Yorkville claims, does get you in the 122DB ballpark.

Also, if you look at the original E160P, I don't think 120+DB would be possible with only 80 watts of applied power.

Only Yorkville knows for sure.... I do know what you mean though, especially about the 550 watt power rating of the NX55P OR 720 watt rating of the LS720P for example. Looking at the NX55P, I imagine most of that 550 watts goes to making that 12'' woofer make that plastic box sound much bigger than it is....

Al

I don't disagree with you about the program rating on a powered speaker being a bunk spec. In fact, the program rating is pretty much bunk, period. That doesn't stop manufacturers from using it.

Here's a good short read about standards that have been adopted over the years and how they work. http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/temas/powerhandling.htm

The problem is, very few manufacturers will tell you if they are adhering to any of them (which frankly, tells me they aren't or they would at least mention and likely exploit it to call out manufacturers). Marketing departments learned a long time ago that it's better to quote a ginormous number than to actually qualify a smaller one.

• Members

Al

It's all manipulation of numbers, Al. Engineers and marketing guys tell two different stories.

Case is point: the E10 (passive)

Sensitivity = 100dB @ 1watt/1m (we don't know how this was tested and measured, for how long or whether it is 20-20kHz or just 1kHz)

Program power = 200 watts, continuous power = 100 watts

Theoretical peak dB

= 100dB + 10log(200) = 100dB + 23dB

= 123dB (as printed on product page)

Theoretical continuous dB

= 100dB + 10log(100) = 100dB + 20dB

= 120dB (and we don't know if this is for 20-20kHz, most likely NOT)

If you were a marketing guy, which number would you use: 123dB or 120dB?

Whatever the numbers are, I still think my NX55Ps are great. Looking forward to seeing a 12 inch plywood cousin some day. :thu:

V.

• Members

I want an E12P... come on Yorkville make this one!!!!!

ME TOO, I would aslo like to see a small unity box (if thats possible) something with a 10" and a smaller unity horn

Realistically they should have redesigned the EF500P to be the E152B by now, but the real problem i assume is if you make it into a monitor shape, you lose real estate to put amp. so that requires another design of amp, then they really need to figures out how to recess these amps better, some of my nx55P have bent input jacks from being monitors....which kinda blows -

• Members

As soon as you add dynamics and frequency processing to a box, continuous power ratings become useless. Now with added signal management, very large amps can be used and the drivers still protected because the duty cycle and peak to average ratio is more closely supervised by the design engineers who know more about the short and long term limits of the components and tuning of the system.

• Members

ME TOO, I would aslo like to see a small unity box (if thats possible) something with a 10" and a smaller unity horn

They can't make the horn smaller and still retain the directivity the U15 is capable of.

Realistically they should have redesigned the EF500P to be the E152B by now..

Maybe from a marketing standpoint, that would be a wise move, but I would hate to see it. The EF500P is unique at it's price point for providing a powered, arrayable cabinet with a full 2" horn driver. I wish Yorkville still offered the E508 as well as the E152.

• Members

It's all manipulation of numbers, Al. Engineers and marketing guys tell two different stories.

Whatever the numbers are, I still think my NX55Ps are great. Looking forward to seeing a 12 inch plywood cousin some day.
:thu:

V.

Say it ain't so :cry:

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think any more. I guess if the speaker sounds good and gets loud enough for your needs, that's all that matters. I still have trouble believing that my YX15Ps are really powered at 100 watts though... Who knows. :confused: Al

• Members

Realistically they should have redesigned the EF500P to be the E152B by now, but the real problem i assume is if you make it into a monitor shape, you lose real estate to put amp. so that requires another design of amp, then they really need to figures out how to recess these amps better, some of my nx55P have bent input jacks from being monitors....which kinda blows -

I posted about bent input jacks on my nx550ps a while ago and no one else seemed to expierence that issue. Do you have any kind of fix for that? I'm currently using the 1/4" TRS inputs as the XLR inputs don't work because of this. Had I known this was going to be an issue I would have built some right angle XLRs just for these cabinets. BTW...these are the cabs I bought from you a few years ago 3 from your rental stock and 1 new box. All but one has bent inputs. One of them had a DOA XLR output, but I no longer chain them anyway so it hasn't been too much of a problem.

• Members

I posted about bent input jacks on my nx550ps a while ago and no one else seemed to expierence that issue. Do you have any kind of fix for that? I'm currently using the 1/4" TRS inputs as the XLR inputs don't work because of this. Had I known this was going to be an issue I would have built some right angle XLRs just for these cabinets. BTW...these are the cabs I bought from you a few years ago 3 from your rental stock and 1 new box. All but one has bent inputs. One of them had a DOA XLR output, but I no longer chain them anyway so it hasn't been too much of a problem.

i think the only solution is Right angle XLRs - that would solve the issue, im not sure what im going to do about the bent ones, they work fine, but i hate when my gear gets scarred im anal like that, so ill probably sell them off in the fall and replace with brandy new ones

that output not working is just a loose solder joint, if you open it up and resolder it will work

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I only can share that I have experienced a VERY close tolerance with this. My jacks are not bent, but the angle is very close.

• Members

They said that an E210, E15 and larger would be overkill for side fills.

A SIDE issue,

My band used my E210Bs as sidefill style monitors once. We put the E210s on stands BEHIND the mains (U15/808) on each side, we were on a ~3' raised stage and the speakers were on the main floor. Worked well. Drumming, I still used my NX20 for drumfill but had it at a lower SPL than usual.

Boomerweps

• Members

Hey, whaddya know..the manual is up. The LF rolloff selector is 65/100Hz. Hopefully this model won't have the exaggerated low end that the NX55P is notorious for.

I find it interesting that there is a tone mode setting where you can switch between Live and Playback. This affects the tone control center frequencies (HIGH and LOW). For Live they are 350Hz and 1.5Khz and for Playback 200Hz and 4kHz. Looks like they put a lot of thought into that, especially for live PA applications where HIGH affects the vocal and instrument frequency range.

V.

• Members

The E10P has a 124DB capability on peaks with a frequency response of 65-20k. Production will begin at the end of the month.
:)
Al

Thanks Al looks like they'll work perfect for adding side fills. I plan on keeping the stage volume down with the old geezer R&R band I joined I doubt we'll be drowning every thing out with drums and two 4x12 guitar cabs like the last band I just quit. :thu:

Archived