How would you go about repairing this ?

dork lard

• Members
2 hours ago, daddymack said:

strip, sand, check for wood and/or binding damage, refin.

I'm not even going to ask how you got those dings....

btw, love the moniker!

Dork lard lol, yes very dumb.

Yeah I suspected sth like that. To be clear: you mean actually remove all of the "debris"/broken shards, take them off completely, when you say "strip" ? Like with some sort of a plier type tool ?

I was thinking I'd remove/clean up the parts, and then add some sort of resin, and then sand and then try to figure out a way to get that natural finish color paint and apply to just that area.

Or I might just add that bit of resin on top directly, without removing the broken shard bits, sand and paint over ?

• Moderators

Well, yes, all the cracked finish has to be removed. Typically I use a fine tip dental tool to remove the loose material, examine the amount of damage/compression to the wood, then sand it clean with 600 grit. You may not have 'lost' much wood, but until you get all the old damaged finish chips and 'splinters' off, you won't be able to tell.

Before we go too far...what kind of guitar is it [make/model] and how experienced are you with this kind of repair? 

I ask for several reasons...one being if this is an expensive ax,  I suggest you take it to a qualified repair tech. The other is that some of what I am going to suggest is fairly 'pains-taking' and requires time, skill and patience.  To do a proper repair for that kind of damage is not as simple you may assume;  you will need to match the stain after sanding, on the second damage/back edge [that is the much simpler one], but on the first damage, near the output jack, you may have damaged the body wood, binding, and the top, and that is a 'multi-stain' fix, requiring steady hands, detailed masking, and which, unless done properly, will look like $#!+. [resembler merdre]

Once all that touch-up is done and cured, the final finish should be clear polyurethane, applied lightly, sanded smooth, applied, sanded...repeat until it looks good.

There are other techniques, but considering the size and areas of the dings, this is, IMHO, the more prudent approach.

Some owners will opt to leave it be and accept it as part of the 'mojo' they are infusing into their guitar.

• Thanks 3

• Members

I'll agree with all DM said. But I will preface my answer with a few questions: How bad does those dings piss you off? If the answer is, "I kick myself every time I see it." then have a pro do the repair. Yeah, it will cost a bit, but it's worth it. (I get from your inquiry you have never done this kind of repair.)

If the answer leans towards "Ehh, bad me... oh look, shiny thing! Now why was I annoyed?" Then I would just add a drop or two of crazy glue to the dings. It will help hide it a bit, and keep the pieces of finish from flacking off, and getting worse.

• Haha 2

• Members
On 1/19/2024 at 8:49 PM, daddymack said:

Well, yes, all the cracked finish has to be removed. Typically I use a fine tip dental tool to remove the loose material, examine the amount of damage/compression to the

It's a Jackson FSR JS42 Dinky Ziricote Natural.

• Members
On 1/19/2024 at 10:37 PM, badpenguin said:

I'll agree with all DM said.

I did one repair before and it was a similar crack around the bottom of the guitar, but it was black so much easier to do. This here is bright and a natural finish, so much tougher.

And, oh yes, I've got to repair this. No way I can keep it this way.

Edited by dork lard

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dork lard said:

It's a Jackson FSR JS42 Dinky Ziricote Natural.

hmmm...okay, yeah, you are on your own on that. That guitar, used, is worth at best, what? €275 [$300]?

A repair for those dings by a qualified repairman will run you about half the value. If you brought that to me, I would tell you it was not worth the cost.

I did one repair before and it was a similar crack around the bottom of the guitar, but it was black so much easier to do. This here is bright and a natural finish, so much tougher.

And, oh yes, I've got to repair this. No way I can keep it this way.

and people wonder why I have mainly black guitars....[but that is not the reason]😉

Okay, well, I've given you the guidelines, mon ami...all I can say is be patient, think every step through, take your time and be willing to settle for 'less than perfect'.[moins de parfait]..eh, bien, bon chance!

And above all...be more careful with your gear!:thu:

• Members

I would try buffing  a scratch removing rubbing compound and try to buff it out

if that doesn't work, I'd try to wet sand it with 60grit, 800, 1000, 1200 and then if needed, a bit of stain and a bit of clearcoat to mask those battlescars

• Haha 1

• Members
On 1/22/2024 at 4:04 PM, daddymack said:

hmmm...okay, yeah, you are on your own on that. That guitar, used, is worth at best, what? €275 [$300]?

A repair for those dings by a qualified repairman will run you about half the value. If you brought that to me, I would tell you it was not worth the cost.

and people wonder why I have mainly black guitars....[but that is not the reason]😉

Okay, well, I've given you the guidelines, mon ami...all I can say is be patient, think every step through, take your time and be willing to settle for 'less than perfect'.[moins de parfait]..eh, bien, bon chance!

And above all...be more careful with your gear!:thu:

you're making me internet-paranoid with all those french references. Like, how do users know where I'm posting from, I haven't put that information anywhere (!) 😅

Is Harmonycentral really Big brother ?

Thanks for the suggestions. It was 500ish $ new, and it's still brand new, save those recent hits.

• Haha 1

• Moderators

you're making me internet-paranoid with all those french references. Like, how do users know where I'm posting from, I haven't put that information anywhere (!) 😅

Is Harmonycentral really Big brother ?

Thanks for the suggestions. It was 500ish $ new, and it's still brand new, save those recent hits.

Ah, mon ami, je suis le moderateur....I can see where you are, who your ISP is, your email, etc...but rest assured, no once else can. Your English is quite good, btw!:thu:

You paid ~$500 for your ax new... but once you tuned it up at home, it became a used instrument, which is the valuation I referenced. Sad, but true.

• Thanks 1

• Members
On 1/23/2024 at 3:46 PM, dork lard said:

Just enjoy the dings and bashes - some people pay hundreds or thousands of dollars/euros for damaged/relic'd instruments, where here yours is becoming an authentic relic for nothing. 😁

Many of my instruments have bashes and dings, acquired over years of use. It's just a part of life and adds character.

Edited by Ancient Mariner
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

Just enjoy the dings and bashes - some people pay hundreds or thousands of dollars/euros for damaged/relic'd instruments, where here yours is becoming an authentic relic for nothing. 😁

Many of my instruments have bashes and dings, acquired over years of use. It's just a part of life and adds character.

but these were 'virgin' dings....:(...first cut is the deepest

• Haha 1