Santa Claus brought me a fancy 12-string'd guitar.

Mr.Grumpy

• Members

I've owned a '70s Japanese-made electric 12-string for over 20 years, but don't play it much because it's so miserable. So when I saw the Squier 'paranormal' 12-string Jazzmaster I was interested. Almost ordered one from that mail order place, but at the last minute looked up my local big-box guitar store and they actually had one in stock! I picked it up a week before Christmas and my wife made me promise I wouldn't play it until Christmas day. 

It's nice. Action is low and intonation is very good due to individual bridges for each of the 12 strings. I've never owned or even played a Jazzmaster before and I'm a little underwhelmed by the pickups. They don't sound like strat or tele pickups at all. Chords on the neck pickup are pretty bassy. The bridge pickup is brighter of course but still doesn't have that focused 'zing' of strat or tele bridge pickup. At least it's hum cancelling with both pickups on. 

I'm very happy with my gift but realize a 12 string only "fits" in a few places because it can take up a lot of sonic space. Looking forward to doing some home recording with it now that my adult stepdaughter (27) has moved out of my music room and into her own place. 

Happy New Years, both of you! 

• Like 4

• Moderators

Congrats! Happy NGD!

I would suggest a pick-up upgrade, since Squier p-ups are typically low end versions of their Fender parents. JazzMaster p-ups are also kind of 'unique' sounding, and although they physically resemble P90s, they are a different critter altogether.

Fralin, Lollar, SD and even Fender offer 'replacement' versions of the JazzMaster pickup...most cost close to about half what your guitar probably cost....

!2 string guitars are kind of a limited application, particularly electrics*. If you cover the Byrds, or Tom Petty...then yeah, gotta have it...

*I owned a '63 Fender XII for a while in the early 70s and then had the use of an almost identical one in the late 80s. I got back into 12 strings over the past three years, and now have a Danelectro and a Martin.  There is a sonic beauty to them that is undeniable, but there is a definite but limited 'space' for them in a band mix, not to be exceeded, IMHO.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...