Need a professional PA, starting from scratch

• Members

About the powered speakers, I already have one power amp. I also have a huge rack unit that will fit all the poweramps I need on front, and a mixing board on top. I guess I just like the versatility of power amps to unpowered speakers. That way if I ever want to change something I have the option to change either the speaker or the amp. Idk, maybe it's because I play guitar and I like the versatility of having a head to a cabinet vs. a combo amp haha.

About the JRX, thank you for turning me away. I was very much on the edge of whether or not I should upgrade to the MRX, but a lot of people replied telling me that I shouldn't spend my money on better subs. But we play a lot of dance/electronic and really need the kick drum to thump and the bass synth to hit hard. So if you say the JRX doesn't deliver then I definitely don't want it. Subs are very important for my band.

I think I still want to go with the Yamaha club 15 mains though. I heard them and really liked their sound. Very clear, very loud (IMO), and they really made the vocals to cut through the mix.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I still want to go with the Yamaha club 15 mains though. I heard them and really liked their sound. Very clear, very loud (IMO), and they really made the vocals to cut through the mix.

Those speakers are very good for their price range IMO, but when it comes to powering them, please listen to what everyone else has to say. Frankly, I don't have the credibility or experience to be considered an expert, but I do know that several of the posters in this thread do. When they say RMS to 1.5x RMS, they know what they are talking. They ARE professionals, and powering them this way is the way the PROFESSIONALS would choose to do it.

• Members

About the powered speakers, I already have one power amp. I also have a huge rack unit that will fit all the poweramps I need on front, and a mixing board on top. I guess I just like the versatility of power amps to unpowered speakers. That way if I ever want to change something I have the option to change either the speaker or the amp. Idk, maybe it's because I play guitar and I like the versatility of having a head to a cabinet vs. a combo amp haha.

About the JRX, thank you for turning me away. I was very much on the edge of whether or not I should upgrade to the MRX, but a lot of people replied telling me that I shouldn't spend my money on better subs. But we play a lot of dance/electronic and really need the kick drum to thump and the bass synth to hit hard. So if you say the JRX doesn't deliver then I definitely don't want it. Subs are very important for my band.

You might prefer a rack that isn't so full.... I have eliminated amps and put in storage drawers for cables, mics, etc....makes life much easier. Carrying a full rack around might look cool but it takes it's toll on the back.

If you do electronic and want tight lows, definitely don't do the JRXs. There are much better sounding subs for just a little more money. Yamaha 15s over subs might not sound as clear as you think they should. In my opinion, 12s over subs are just as loud and sound much cleaner. Yam 15 clubs are good speakers but might not be the best for your situation. If you really want the vocals to cut through, 12s, subs and a properly set up crossover will honestly be your best bet. The only time I ever use 15s is when we dont use subs on some of our duo gigs.

Whoever told you NOT to spend money on better subs is dead wrong in my opinion. Good subs are one of the SR items that really separates the men from the boys.

• Members

If you do plan on eventually upgrading, keeping the speakers separate from the poweramps could be a good way to go. But also consider that the powered speakers will probably be worth more on the used market, too -- so you gain a little bit back going that route.

That said, I'd go with the MRX tops and the Yamaha Club subs, or if having a matched system is important, I'd save up and go MRX+MRX, or I'd go Club+Club. Remember that some people do hear with their eyes, and that can be a benefit when pricing jobs. A mismatched system can scare people off.

I'd avoid any incarnation of the JRX series, period. We used to run a JRX system because our old bassist handled PA duties. We made the upgrade, and people started commenting about how much better we sounded. Important people -- bar owners, people who book gigs, etc -- as well as just regular patrons at the bars and clubs we play. It DOES make a difference, and the JRX system will move air and produce sound, but it just doesn't sound as good as the other options.

Another benefit to the Yamaha Clubs is that you can often find used subs online going for near-nothing. I always sub shop on places like Craigslist or local eBay auctions, because they really have virtually NO resale value -- they're hard to ship. I picked up two 1x18 scoop subs for about $15 each a few years ago because the guy couldn't ship them and had to get rid of them before he moved. Check Craigslist and when you get there, just make sure they aren't blown (you'll know).

• Members

I'm assuming you guys will be running sound yourselves from the stage? I onlt ask because if you ever hire a guy to come run it for you you'll run into a giant hassle trying to put the mixer out front when it's in the same case as all the amps. Are you also going to have FOH processing/ eq's and such in the same rack?

• Members

I'm assuming you guys will be running sound yourselves from the stage? I onlt ask because if you ever hire a guy to come run it for you you'll run into a giant hassle trying to put the mixer out front when it's in the same case as all the amps. Are you also going to have FOH processing/ eq's and such in the same rack?

That's a good point. Another "+" for powered speakers.....

• Members

yea I'm the guitarist but I'll also be running sound from the stage, so I think I'd like to have it all in one place. So you'd choose the Yamaha club subs over the MRX? They have half the power handling. I was considering matching some MRX 15 in. mains with the MRX subs though.

Ok, I think maybe I was confused about the difference between RMS and continuous, and that could be what is causing all these miscommunications. I just talked to a JBL tech, a Yamaha tech, and a Peavey tech. What I ended up finding out was that RMS is around 10% less than program. I thought it was synonymous to continuous, once again, I'm obviously a noob when it comes to sound (I'm a guitarist give me a break haha).

So, I don't want twice the RMS, I meant to say I wanted twice the continuous, which would be equal to the program. Right?

I've heard that I should have a power amp that pushes a bit more than the program handling of the speakers, but I've also heard that I should have one with equal or less than the program handling. Would it be safe to use a bit more power than the program rating and get more out of the speakers? I've also heard more headroom gives you a cleaner sound.

How about this matchup:

PV2600 to two JBL MRX subs, each 4 ohms with 800 program, with PV2600 pushing 900 per side at 4 ohms

PV2600 to two Yamaha S115, each 8 ohms with 500 program, with PV2600 pushing 540 per side at 8 ohms.

That or something comparable, I found that for $100 more I can get a crown xti2000, which has 475 @ 8 ohms and 800 @ 4 ohms, and it is less that half the weight of the PV2600, but not quite as much power...

Any preferences/recommendations on power amps?

Oh and I wanted the Yamaha 15 in. mains as opposed to the 12 in. because they have a higher power rating, and wouldn't that mean I could push more to them and get them louder? I heard them and loved the way they sounded. If I went with the MRX 15 mains, I'm sure they would be clearer and louder. However, they are rated at 800 program @ 8 ohms. So to run them stereo (which I want to do for our keys/synth), I'd have to buy a huge expensive poweramp that pushes at least 800watts per side @ 8 ohms. That or give up on stereo and bridge it with a much smaller amp....

thanks guys, I think I'm starting to figure this stuff out. Still have a lot to learn though

• Members

I've been impressed with the Yamaha club Mains...I have them and they are ok..not as good sounding or light as the MRX but cheaper. The MRX subs, IMHO are way better than the Yamaha subs. So, if it were between JBL MRX and Yamaha Club's...I'd pay the extra $$ for the JBL's.

• Members

yea I'm the guitarist but I'll also be running sound from the stage, so I think I'd like to have it all in one place. So you'd choose the Yamaha club subs over the MRX? They have half the power handling. I was considering matching some MRX 15 in. mains with the MRX subs though.

Ok, I think maybe I was confused about the difference between RMS and continuous, and that could be what is causing all these miscommunications. I just talked to a JBL tech, a Yamaha tech, and a Peavey tech. What I ended up finding out was that RMS is around 10% less than program. I thought it was synonymous to continuous, once again, I'm obviously a noob when it comes to sound (I'm a guitarist give me a break haha).

So, I don't want twice the RMS, I meant to say I wanted twice the continuous, which would be equal to the program. Right?

I've heard that I should have a power amp that pushes a bit more than the program handling of the speakers, but I've also heard that I should have one with equal or less than the program handling. Would it be safe to use a bit more power than the program rating and get more out of the speakers? I've also heard more headroom gives you a cleaner sound.

How about this matchup:

PV2600 to two JBL MRX subs, each 4 ohms with 800 program, with PV2600 pushing 900 per side at 4 ohms

PV2600 to two Yamaha S115, each 8 ohms with 500 program, with PV2600 pushing 540 per side at 8 ohms.

That or something comparable, I found that for $100 more I can get a crown xti2000, which has 475 @ 8 ohms and 800 @ 4 ohms, and it is less that half the weight of the PV2600, but not quite as much power...

Oh and I wanted the Yamaha 15 in. mains as opposed to the 12 in. because they have a higher power rating, and wouldn't that mean I could push more to them and get them louder? I heard them and loved the way they sounded. If I went with the MRX 15 mains, I'm sure they would be clearer and louder. However, they are rated at 800 program @ 8 ohms. So to run them stereo (which I want to do for our keys/synth), I'd have to buy a huge expensive poweramp that pushes at least 800watts per side @ 8 ohms. That or give up on stereo and bridge it with a much smaller amp....

thanks guys, I think I'm starting to figure this stuff out. Still have a lot to learn though

NO, NO, NO, you REALLY need to power way closer to the RMS or continuous power. From your comments, it's clear you fall into the newbie inexperienced catagory. Read all of our comment to this effect.

• Members

NO, NO, NO, you REALLY need to power way closer to the RMS or continuous power. From your comments, it's clear you fall into the newbie inexperienced catagory. Read all of our comment to this effect.

soon to be non-noob, experienced and converted a lot of cash into junk.

• CMS Author

Especially the part about powering the speakers. The JBL rep who told you to go with program power is ASSUMING that you have a properly set limiter, which if properly set will limit power to RMS or slightly above it. You won't know how to set a limiter properly even if you bought one, and the discipline to to override your limiter settings mid-show to "get a little more out of it" is often only learned by the stink of blown drivers and a messed-up show.

Go with RMS power. That's what active speakers use...even the ones JBL sells, despite what the rep told you to do. There's very little difference in output, but a huge increase in driver life.

• Members

How about this matchup:

RMS ~ Continuous = 1/2 Program = 1/2 Peak

Power near RMS or (continuous) to be safe and don't clip your amps. I'll throw my hat into the ring for powered speakers as well. I "own" a pair of U15P's and an LS800P. Great to not have to worry about how to power the speaker, where to cross them over, tri-amped mains etc. Anyway, the MRX cabs are great and sound really good, just be careful with powering and listen to Andy, he cares more about you than the sales people who want to sell you a bigger (more expensive) amp... Good luck, and have fun.

Also, find a soundman, maybe if you tell us your location you can get a forumite to come help you out to get going....

• Members

It's very disheartening to see all these really experienced people offer you really good advice, and then, based on your responses, find you ignoring or missing much of it.

The only people who will benefit from lying or stretching the truth are the poor beleagured sales reps, who are under the gun to sell, sell, sell.

You are getting some fantastic advice here, perhaps you could slow down, investigate a bit more, and try and digest what has been explained in this thread (and other similar ones in this forum).

Good luck, and here's to expanding one's horizons.

• Members

I'm not meaning to ignore anyone's advice and I always try to show my appreciation for all the input. I know I'm a newbie, no need to call me out about it....

I know a lot of this is going over my head, but I'm mainly confused because I hear a different answer from practically everyone I talk to. I just don't know what to believe when I have been told 3-4 different things today alone, between calling all the company technicians and posting on this forum.

As for running my sound on stage, I'm only looking for a PA to play venues/bars too small to supply their own PA. Anything bigger and I'd think there would be a supplied soundguy with a supplied PA, so he would be able to run our sound off stage with his professional system.

What is the advantage of a power amp -> unpowered speakers if powered speakers seem to be the way to go? I mean, I see more people with that setup than with powered speakers.... I guess if I've ignored anything it was the suggestions for powered speakers, but only because I was so intrigued with the need to learn about how to properly match power amps to speakers. So I'm sorry, now that I think about it the powered speaker option would be a lot more compact and simplistic. Although the price tag is intimidating, but once I buy passive speakers and a power amp it's almost the same.

Does everyone like the JBL PRX speakers? Or maybe something else? I'm just trying to make sure I make the right decisions here. Oh, and I gather that RMS is basically the same as continuous??

Thanks for all the advice

• Members

I'm not meaning to ignore anyone's advice and I always try to show my appreciation for all the input. I know I'm a newbie, no need to call me out about it....

I know a lot of this is going over my head, but I'm mainly confused because I hear a different answer from practically everyone I talk to. I just don't know what to believe when I have been told 3-4 different things today alone, between calling all the company technicians and posting on this forum.

As for running my sound on stage, I'm only looking for a PA to play venues/bars too small to supply their own PA. Anything bigger and I'd think there would be a supplied soundguy with a supplied PA, so he would be able to run our sound off stage with his professional system.

What is the advantage of a power amp -> unpowered speakers if powered speakers seem to be the way to go? I mean, I see more people with that setup than with powered speakers.... I guess if I've ignored anything it was the suggestions for powered speakers, but only because I was so intrigued with the need to learn about how to properly match power amps to speakers. So I'm sorry, now that I think about it the powered speaker option would be a lot more compact and simplistic. Although the price tag is intimidating, but once I buy passive speakers and a power amp it's almost the same.

Does everyone like the JBL PRX speakers? Or maybe something else? I'm just trying to make sure I make the right decisions here. Oh, and I gather that RMS is basically the same as continuous??

Thanks for all the advice

Listen to the guys who USE the gear.

Forget the reps. I - just like you - was following the concept that the Reps knew what they were talking about - they do, in a sense, because what they are talking abut - is selling!

Their whole shtick is to convince you to spend more money on a bigger amp, so you'll blow more speakers, which you will either have to replace and/or re-cone.

Meanwhile, the guys who actually do this for a living, are trying to save you money both now, and in the long haul, via the life of the speaker.

it never dawned on me that a speaker should have a life of over 10 years - I just assumed they were like a cable - they had a limited use/life and that was it. Previously, I was under the impression that if you got 3 years out of a driver that you were doing pretty good.

The reason you see more people with power amps and speakers (aka "Racks & Stacks") is because that has been the tradition. Powered speakers tend to be a newer option - they have been around for a while, but are really just now starting to get a foothold in the arena of live sound.

Listen to Agedhorse, Mark Hellinger, Craig, etc. These guys do know what they are doing, and they are fairly passionate about it - they wouldn't be on here on a daily basis talking shop if they weren't.

I'm going with Racks & Stacks just because that is what i already have and it was less money up front for me - BUT - my guitarist and bass player have already started saying,"I can't wait until we can get powered speakers!"

The band I'm in has just started playing out, and after the first gig - none of us got home until around 5:00AM after unloading, taking everything to the bandroom, and putting the gear away. if we had just had a FOH rack and powered speakers - I would have just backed the van into the bandroom until the next day. As it was, to carry the speakers and racks, we had to use a 20 foot flatbed carhauling trailer to move it all (that's what we had - the guiatrist owns a used car lot, which is where we practice). Four PRX's (a pair of subs and bottoms) would have been nothing to move and would have put out just as much volume as the Racks and Stacks, an consumed about a fourth of the room of our current gear.

So, for the time being, we'll be using what we have, and saving toward some powered speakers probably Yorkvilles from Audioeast, but we my end up with PRX's.... even though I'll grumble and gripe about giving my money to JBL. LOL Actually, I do like the PRX's - I just have this anti-JBL streak.

• Members

I own a pair of PRX535s and a one PRX512. Both of them sound great. Another option would be QSC. The QSCs are heavier but sound a little better than the PRXs in my opinion. The QSCs are a little cheaper and if you buy before July you can get a $100-150.00 rebate depending on what product you buy. I have a pair of QSC151 subs that I am more than happy with.

• Members

Didn't price the QSC, but their rebates are bigger so it would be even less than the example below. Long story short, it's not really more money to step into powered speakers.

2 PRX 512M

2 PRX 518S

Can be had for around $3300 after rebates.

You were ready to buy Yamaha Club speakers, 2 MRX subs and a PV3800

PV3800 = $800

Pair of MRX mains and subs with rebates = $2,050

Crossover = $150

Total - $3,000

So a $300 gap, but if you have racks an amp already you can easily make up that gap up and probably then some.

- different amp for highs and lows in the mains

- perfectly matched amps

- DSP limiting

- built in electronic crossovers

- more cable redundancy (powered speakers use microphone cables)

- Fewer trips when loading in and out

- Fewer connections overall (amps, crossovers, speakers)

- Pretty much any band member can hook it up

- Less maintenance (amps are sealed and don't have to be cleaned)

- Overall, just a better shot of sounding good. Better speakers (passive or powered) need less EQ and are more forgiving.

• Members

The last thing I want to do is call anyone out. The first thing I want to do is save you money.

There was a former member here who got into a heated argument with some forumites regarding powering speakers. Perhaps he was listening to the reps, perhaps he had his own ideas. In any case he didn't listen to what Agedhorse, Craigv, and countless others were saying, and one day he blew his subs up.

I bought my first PA in 1969 (yikes) and I've made my fair share of mistakes, but I've always tried to learn from them. You now have the opportunity to learn from years of collective knowledge, so once again, slow down, take your time, ingest and assimilate, and marvel at the fact that this forum even exists at all. You are obviously a smart fellow because you're asking before you buy - well done.

• Members

dcg480, we were ALL noobs once. Even Aged, dboomer and Craig. We ALL made mistakes. Being called out as a noob isn't bad as long as you accept that fact, embrace it and are willing to learn. Getting speakers because they are big really looks cool but isn't always the best solution. More power doesn't always mean a louder system. Sales people and manufacturers skew numbers so they look better to noobs that dont understand the two previous facts.

You dont have to understand or even believe what we are saying but I do suggest you listen and ask questions. It is possible that all the things that you have come to believe about live sound are actually completely false or possibly not fully true and skewed. Free your mind and listen. You can buy what you want and we really have no say in that. We have no motivation or reason to all gang up on noobs and steer them wrong. Seems like most of us have pretty much the same opinion on the big picture although we might have different opinions on which gear is best. Most if not all of the suggestions here will make you happy. You might be happy with big speakers and powerful heavy amp racks but eventually, once you haul the stuff around a little you might have a more open mind.

Dont be offended by being called a noob. In a little while you will be giving advice here that you have learned on your own, either by making mistakes or solving your own problems. I've done the big (huge acually) speaker and amp racks thing. My current system sounds just as good if not better and is much easier to set up and tear down and even fits in the back of a 2002 Quest. My old system filled a 10' box truck to the rim.

Just listen and ask questions and you will be amazed at what you never knew.

• Members

Its hard to beat the QSC HPR's for the money. Ive used the 122i's 3 or 4 times and enjoyed each time. I have also used the 153's. My only grip is the heft.
If you can wait a month the rest of the new QSC K series should hit the strores. For a small light weight system thats easy on the wallet these should fit the bill. Ive had ear only demo with play back music and thought they all sound nice.
A nice option wth powered speakers is that you can use them for monitors in larger systems (or in a pinch have a couple of spliters for a stage monitor) or as a amp.

• Members

There was a former member here who got into a heated argument with some forumites regarding powering speakers. Perhaps he was listening to the reps, perhaps he had his own ideas. In any case he didn't listen to what Agedhorse, Craigv, and countless others were saying, and one day he blew his subs up.

he didnt just blow them up; he phenomenally and righteously exploded them to hell, nearly redefining the destruction of drivers.

i don't think he learned from that either.

• Members

Ok so the powered speaker option is starting to look very attractive. As for rebates, I haven't mentioned this yet, but I'm trying to go through a friend who knows a wholesaler. So rebates won't make much of a difference, I'm just hoping to get really good wholesale discounts. I know, it's almost too good to be true. I wish I knew what brands he carried though, my friend knows nothing about equipment so he told me just to compile a list and he would send it to the wholesaler. I may try to get him to ask what brands the guy has instead.

My friend did say he knew the guy carried JBL though. So the PRX may be what I can get. I hate not being able to hear them before I get them. Are they basically the MRX series but powered? Because I've heard those and liked them. I'm not sure how I would hear any of the other brands, I can't remember what GC had, but I don't think they had QSC, Yorkville, or Yamaha powered. They may have had the Mackies and JBLs.

So I'm trying to decide between getting two 15 inch tops to pair with the 18 inch subs, or two 12 inch tops. I know I shouldn't pay attention to size but.... it's been my experience that 15s sound fuller, however I haven't tried pairing 12s with subs. On the PRX manual it shows a setup with 12s and 18s, but not a setup with 15s and 18s.... why would that be? I've got some passive monitors so I may just use a power amp for those.

Oh, and the PRX speakers have the option of 1/4 in. inputs or XLR. Is one better than the other? I ask because the Mackie 1604 VLZ mixer I was interested in only has 1/4 in. outputs. I know, it's pretty rediculous that they couldn't put XLR outs on the thing. Maybe I should try to find one with XLR outputs? The price is right on the Mackie though, anyone know of a 16 channel mixer under 1000 with XLR outs?

thanks a lot guys

• Members

Are they basically the MRX series but powered?

Essentially.

So I'm trying to decide between getting two 15 inch tops to pair with the 18 inch subs, or two 12 inch tops.

I would also get the 15" tops in this situation. Do you mean 2 tops/side over 1 18' sub, or 2 tops over 2 subs/ side?

If you choose 2 tops over 2 subs per side, this option would be incredibly scalable and you would have a very versatile system.

I ask because the Mackie 1604 VLZ mixer I was interested in only has 1/4 in. outputs. I know, it's pretty rediculous that they couldn't put XLR outs on the thing. Maybe I should try to find one with XLR outputs? The price is right on the Mackie though, anyone know of a 16 channel mixer under 1000 with XLR outs?

If your 16ch mixer budget is around $1000, then I'm just going to pretend you didn't mention the Mackie 1604. Allen&Heath mixwiz 16:2 is the way to go, and I'm pretty sure everyone here will back me up on this one:

http://www.allen-heath.com/US/DisplayProduct.asp?pview=49

• Members

Yes, I mean 2 15 in. mains over 2 18 in. subs. I was actually suggested the Mixwizard and must have looked up the wrong one because I thought it was too pricey. For 999 that thing looks SICK! I'm getting really excited about my setup now:

Mixwizard -> 2 PRX518S subs -> 2 PRX515 mains

And another main out to 1 power amp (yet to decide) -> 4 monitors @ 200 RMS each

Sound good? Any more opinions on which powered speakers to go with?

I'm getting close!

Archived