Doping...

ksl

• Members

Greetings,,,  I'd like to perform some light doping to some older speakers that have none, & wanted to know if one could use GE Silicone applied sparingly with my pinky?  Or is Corona Dope any better?  I've had good results with the silicone to repair small rips & moth holes on very old cones....

thnx

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Ted Weber offers the option to dope or not to dope when ordering his speakers (at least for some of them).

What are the pros and cons of?

Also, here's another question for anyone who knows, concerning speaker impedance.

Suppose your amp has speaker outs for 4, 8, and 16-ohms. You have a variety of speakers. Which do you choose? I've heard to run it at 16-ohms, if possible. True or not? The simplified theory being that 4 and 8 would not use the full tonal capabilities of your amp. And is any difference even noticeable to human ears?

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Hoot Owl said:

Also, here's another question for anyone who knows, concerning speaker impedance.

Suppose your amp has speaker outs for 4, 8, and 16-ohms. You have a variety of speakers. Which do you choose? I've heard to run it at 16-ohms, if possible. True or not? The simplified theory being that 4 and 8 would not use the full tonal capabilities of your amp. And is any difference even noticeable to human ears?

Considering that Fender Blackface amps [arguably the most recorded amps of all time] were typically running at 4 ohms...I'll just suggest that this is hogwash.

The impedance has nothing to do with tone, and everything to do with the load on the OT....who makes this $#!+ up?

• Members
4 hours ago, daddymack said:

Considering that Fender Blackface amps [arguably the most recorded amps of all time] were typically running at 4 ohms...I'll just suggest that this is hogwash.

The impedance has nothing to do with tone, and everything to do with the load on the OT....who makes this $#!+ up?

Who, I don't know. Someone. 😉

On dope:

Dope Explained – Weber Speakers (tedweber.com)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Silicone bought in a hardware store used for calking or weather stripping is both weak and heavy. It will dull your sound.  

I suggest you buy the stuff made for speakers. There are basically two glues. The white stuff that's thin like wood glue and the stuff that's a tackey type of rubber cement that dries hard.  The rubber stuff is mainly for gluing the surround and spider down to the basket. The white stuff glues the cone and coats the surround.  I've also seen epoxy used for gluing the coil to the cone but I havent had to use it since the cones I've replaced had that part completed as a partial cone kit. 

In a pinch I have repaired cones with wood glue thinned with a little water then brushed onto the cracks. I've had some of those repairs last 30+ years without a problem but I'd never use it on good speakers because glue adds weight and kills treble. Try adding silicone to a junk speaker and hear what it does. Guarantee you'll get nothing but mud tones.  Maybe in a pinch for a bass woofer but guitar, beware, you wont like the results. use wood glue if you must and apply it thin or send for the right stuff.