Possible to sanitize the community mic at Open-Mic?

harmonychiq

• Members

Ummmm.... you're sticking something that MANY MANY people has breathed/coughed/left spittle on, close to your mouth and lower lip. Bring your own mic! I am sure a spray of alcohol might, and just might, make it safe, but why risk it? Especially in this age of plagues.

• Moderators

I hosted jams for years, and cleaned the mic balls/screens every week....but I used my mic with a foam ball windscreen when I was singing, and then switched mics when I was not singing.  And that was long before Covid.

At minimum, bring your own foam windscreen [which will at least keep you from direct contact with potentially infected surfaces], use a disinfectant wipe on the mic screen if you can't, or bring your own mic, but make sure they know you are swapping them out so the sound guy can adjust the level!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Mics are actually pretty troublesome to sanitize thoroughly. You can use alcohol or sanitary wipes to clean the exterior parts like the body and grill, but inside the grill has a foam layer which is a porous and absorbent material. You can try putting on a foam windscreen to as protective layer, but still recommend wiping down the mic surface beforehand because you still use to handle the mic while putting it on, then when you're done you can just wash it the sink with some soap and water. Ever since covid times, I occasionally seen some TV/media broadcasters cover their mics with some sort of nylon cover or something like that, probably used for sanitary reasons. But if you wanna keep things simple as possible and have peace of mind, then getting your own personal microphone is the way to go. And be sure to label or mark the equipment with your name to prevent other people from taking it.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • Members

use ozone generator 66$ amazon ozoneis agas used to disinfect hospital gear does not take long to workminutor two it disables the covid viuseasily does not hurt humans can alo be used to disinfect a bar 10 x10 room let run for 4 or 5 minutes u smell ozone after thunderstorms also wrks on flu and other pathogensalo other posts have suggestions