What woods is your favorite guitar made from?

knnr

• Members
2 hours ago, garthman said:

Yes, I've heard that theory but there is no scientific eveidence for it being so. And, if you think about it, in all the Fender strat and tele guitars - and in all the many similar types of guitar - the pickups are sitting on a sheet of plastic. 

Not really. Telecaster uses a steel bridge plate and some have the neck pickup mounted to the body rather than the pickgaurd 

• Moderators

My way of thinking about it is that the vibration of the wood or material FEEDS BACK into the string's vibration which influences how the strings vibrate overall. If the body and construction of a body didn't have an influence then shouldn't all model of guitars have the same amount of sustain? The answer is no. Do you think a body guitar made out of styrofoam will sustain very well? Probably not.. And why is the sustain an important detail? Because it's an integral part of the tone.

• Like 2

• Members
10 hours ago, garthman said:

Yes, I've heard that theory but there is no scientific eveidence for it being so. And, if you think about it, in all the Fender strat and tele guitars - and in all the many similar types of guitar - the pickups are sitting on a sheet of plastic. 

I asked a music store guy about an aluminum or stainless steel strat they had on display and he said tone is mostly neck. All I can say is plastic vibrates too. If NASA wanted to, they could easily study and dissect the harmonic plasma of an electric guitar. Distortion would most certainly be in there.

• Members
10 hours ago, davie said:

My way of thinking about it is that the vibration of the wood or material FEEDS BACK into the string's vibration which influences how the strings vibrate overall. If the body and construction of a body didn't have an influence then shouldn't all model of guitars have the same amount of sustain? The answer is no. Do you think a body guitar made out of styrofoam will sustain very well? Probably not.. And why is the sustain an important detail? Because it's an integral part of the tone.

This as well.

• Members
15 hours ago, davie said:

Well again, not really. The reason that most electric guitars are made from solid chunks of wood is to minimize any feedback effects. When Les Paul first began experimenting with magnetic pickups he first mounted them onto the top of an archtop acoustic guitar. He discovered that the vibrations within the thin guitar top caused some movement of the PU which led to distortion and feedback so he developed all-solid guitars to overcome this.

I don't doubt that there may be some very small effect from a soild-body guitar but compared to the output of the PU that effect is minute.

• 2 weeks later...