Which Barber Burn Unit??

ksl

• Members
Hiya,,,, The concensus to my previous Dumblesque-type pedal search points to the Barber... There seems to be a few different Burn Unit models on the market... Can someone kindly narrow it down to the likely candidate with a picture?
Thnx again!!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Ooh another Dumble trivia thread. I read Dumble made 'em all to complement the guy who ordered it (I think I said this already.) so they could be any kind of Fender, Marshall, Trainwreck. To me it's the impossible dynamics of the OD section that's unique.

• Members
On 7/15/2022 at 4:02 PM, badpenguin said:

My big issue with any kind of pedal that supposedly sounds like an amp, is the amp it's going to driven through.

I don't know if it's a rule but clean, even sparkly clean, or vice versa, will let you hear the range of the pedal (I prefer this use of pedals - it's an ear saver besides) and just driving the amp will sound like the amp with foreign EQ. There's a Youtube on "the only" overdrive A. Dumble recommended for his amp. I forgot what it was. It didn't sound very special to me.

• Moderators
On 7/18/2022 at 5:04 AM, 1001gear said:

I don't know if it's a rule but clean, even sparkly clean, or vice versa, will let you hear the range of the pedal (I prefer this use of pedals - it's an ear saver besides) and just driving the amp will sound like the amp with foreign EQ. There's a Youtube on "the only" overdrive A. Dumble recommended for his amp. I forgot what it was. It didn't sound very special to me.

Providence Stampede Overdrive SOV 1...rare birds, not as rare as a real Dumble...but...that was the only one H. Alex ever okayed.

Now, there are Dumble users who use a Zen Drive or a Vertex Boost with their Dumbles.

This however is not about those pedals, but about a pedal that will get you into Dumble-esque OD tone...

• Members
10 hours ago, daddymack said:

Providence Stampede Overdrive SOV 1...rare birds, not as rare as a real Dumble...but...that was the only one H. Alex ever okayed.

Now, there are Dumble users who use a Zen Drive or a Vertex Boost with their Dumbles.

This however is not about those pedals, but about a pedal that will get you into Dumble-esque OD tone...

Makes me wonder if he ever had plans to release his OD circuitry as a separate unit. Probably beneath his dignity.

From what I can tell there are 2, and maybe 3 distinct (or maybe they just caught my ear) Dumble tones. The Std Robben Ford impossible dynamics OD, The Steel String Singer tone - gorgeous, sustainy, bright, cleans, and, the Rock crunch reference standard tone. This one is closer to high gain than the rest but not quite.  Trainwreck ish sorta.

All the pedals seem to favor some degree of the Robben Ford tone and that's fine by me.