A Hum Situation....

ksl

• Members

Greetings again,, just picked up this 70's Orlando MIJ guitar that someone who knows less than me, messed with.... If you check the underbelly, you'll see where the grounds for each p/u go to those screws that hold the switch in place... I've circled the corresponding points of contact on the top picture. I'm not getting any signs of buzzes or hum of any kind, except for when I move my hand close to either p/u, & the closer I get, the louder the hum... dynamo hum... Even with both p/u's switched off, I get this noise that I probably wouldn't get with typical playing, but something's not right, & should I run a wire from those 2 p/u grounds to the ground at the controls? 

Many thnx~Screenshot_20220218-192644_Gallery.thumb.jpg.fdeb1990ce1e41ce468c9de61ddf8710.jpgScreenshot_20220218-193017_Gallery.thumb.jpg.efb88438c926342aeef127c81cb71af0.jpg

• Moderators
23 hours ago, mrbrown49 said:

Is there a ground going to the bridge?  

That was my first thought. :thu:

Grounding can be done many ways, as long as everything in the primary signal chain [pots/p-ups] is grounded to the bridge and the output jack, it should be fine.

Shielding is a whole other matter...although it is related to grounding...and in fact must be grounded to be effective.