1 hum 0 Vol 0 Pot on/off switch

keithglacier

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

I suspect this is probably what has happened. If you're new to guitar electronics and have had a few goes at that switch it might be fried. 

My brother does a lot of soldering and he often clips an alligator lead between the component and the actual solder joint which gives the heat somewhere else to go. 

in the vernacular, that is a heatsink. If you use an unregulated soldering iron, which most people do, this is a simple means of protecting components. I was a self taught solderer [like many things in my life], but apparently I learned the tricks well enough to be certified by NASA and the DoD to work on their stuff in my youth.

• Members
4 hours ago, daddymack said:

in the vernacular, that is a heatsink. If you use an unregulated soldering iron, which most people do, this is a simple means of protecting components. I was a self taught solderer [like many things in my life], but apparently I learned the tricks well enough to be certified by NASA and the DoD to work on their stuff in my youth.

You didn't do the wiring on the Challenger did you? Sorry... 🥸

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

You didn't do the wiring on the Challenger did you? Sorry... 🥸

no, on the Shuttle program I managed the program that made the system that tested the wings for cracks and deformities...I was well out of the soldering side of things by '78...now, there are probably satellites still up with my solder in them, though....:wave:

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

no, on the Shuttle program I managed the program that made the system that tested the wings for cracks and deformities...I was well out of the soldering side of things by '78...now, there are probably satellites still up with my solder in them, though....:wave:

That's pretty darn cool!

• Moderators
22 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

In the harsh light of day my attempted joke was in poor taste. Sorry. 35 years elapsed doesn't make it OK.

Not to worry, it has been a long time for both.  The two failures do not eraase the successes of the Shuttle program,and I am still proud of my contributions.

The tile adhesive guys, not so much...

21 hours ago, mrbrown49 said:

That's pretty darn cool!

I guess...but it was just a factory job to me in those days, nothing special, but with the shuttle test system [and later many other programs] we knew we were into something major. It was the largest stand alone test system that company ever built, and I got to 'honcho' it.😎

I remember going to tech/status meetings for the program and being the only person under 30 [heck, under 50] in the room....😉

Archived