1 hum 0 Vol 0 Pot on/off switch

keithglacier

• Members

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this setup? I can only find diagrams with a volume pot. The switch is an on/off switch with 6 lugs and I am not sure where to solder each connection. I just want to have the humbucker with the switch that turns it on and off, no pots. Thank you so much! 

• Members
19 hours ago, keithglacier said:

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this setup? I can only find diagrams with a volume pot. The switch is an on/off switch with 6 lugs and I am not sure where to solder each connection. I just want to have the humbucker with the switch that turns it on and off, no pots. Thank you so much! 

Ok, so you only want a single on/off switch, with no pots. Simple: wire the pickup hot wire to one of the center lugs, the ground to the case of the switch. Then wire one of the unused lugs on the same side where the pickup goes to  to the output jack, with the ground of the jack soldered to the side of the switch. See, told you it was simple. And welcome to the forum!!!

• Members
2 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Ok, so you only want a single on/off switch, with no pots. Simple: wire the pickup hot wire to one of the center lugs, the ground to the case of the switch. Then wire one of the unused lugs on the same side where the pickup goes to  to the output jack, with the ground of the jack soldered to the side of the switch. See, told you it was simple. And welcome to the forum!!!

Thanks so much! I understand where the hots should go. When you "ground to the case of the switch", do you mean on a certain lug on the switch? And the ground from the jack soldered to the side of the switch means a lug as well? If so, which lugs for each? Thanks, again. 

• Members
1 hour ago, keithglacier said:

Thanks so much! I understand where the hots should go. When you "ground to the case of the switch", do you mean on a certain lug on the switch? And the ground from the jack soldered to the side of the switch means a lug as well? If so, which lugs for each? Thanks, again. 

Nope! To the side of the switch, you know, the metal housing of the switch itself. OR you can wire the ground of the pickup directly to the ground of the output jack. 

1382363694_download(8).jpg.461e5197c54e777edd924df61b836354.jpg

And glad I could help.

• Members
4 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

Nope! To the side of the switch, you know, the metal housing of the switch itself. OR you can wire the ground of the pickup directly to the ground of the output jack. 

1382363694_download(8).jpg.461e5197c54e777edd924df61b836354.jpg

And glad I could help.

Thanks, again! My switch does not have any metal like that one on the sides to solder to - it is all plastic. And the ground from the jack goes to a lug on the switch or the bridge ground? Thank you so much. 

• Moderators

Ground should not be on a lug of the switch....the ground of the p-up, the bridge ground and the ground on the jack are the same ground [or should be...] and should all be connected to only themselves:wave:

You could solder on a spade or slip lug and attach it to the shaft of the switch against the pickguard...not crucial, just another way to do it..

16MM-M6 SPADE LUG | RFE.ie

• Members
55 minutes ago, keithglacier said:

Thanks, again! My switch does not have any metal like that one on the sides to solder to - it is all plastic. And the ground from the jack goes to a lug on the switch or the bridge ground? Thank you so much. 

What he said ^^. DO NOT solder the ground to any of the lugs. Ground should go to the bridge and straight to the output jack. 

• Members
15 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

What he said ^^. DO NOT solder the ground to any of the lugs. Ground should go to the bridge and straight to the output jack. 

Thanks! I'm missing something here. When I do as instructed here i do not get any sound from either position unless I bridge the 2 pairs of unused lugs together. The top two bridged, middle two consists of one from the pickup hot and the other to the jack hot, bottom two lugs bridged - this creates sound, but in both positions. When I remove any of the lugs from the bridged pairs all sound is lost in both positions. I can't get it to turn off I guess.

Thanks, again for all your help! 

• Members
44 minutes ago, keithglacier said:

Thanks! I'm missing something here. When I do as instructed here i do not get any sound from either position unless I bridge the 2 pairs of unused lugs together. The top two bridged, middle two consists of one from the pickup hot and the other to the jack hot, bottom two lugs bridged - this creates sound, but in both positions. When I remove any of the lugs from the bridged pairs all sound is lost in both positions. I can't get it to turn off I guess.

Thanks, again for all your help! 

wiring.png.0871ddb6fbde766d1c5c2b51f7854768.png

I assume you have a DPDT with 6 lugs. To keep it simple wire the top 2 lugs together, AND GO TO OUTPUT

The middle two lugs, wire them together FROM THE PICKUP 

The last 2 lugs, leave alone.     

Yeah, I know, it's upside down, but either way, it will do what you want.

• Members
1 hour ago, badpenguin said:

I assume you have a DPDT with 6 lugs. To keep it simple wire the top 2 lugs together, AND GO TO OUTPUT

+

Here is what I am seeing. Thanks, again!

20210226_190456.thumb.jpg.9d7997435d4da5c3c201331b77ce0e29.jpg

• Members
1 hour ago, badpenguin said:

+

Here is what I am seeing. Thanks, again!

20210226_190456.thumb.jpg.9d7997435d4da5c3c201331b77ce0e29.jpg

I have a green wire and silver wire from the seymour duncan pickup that go to ground, those all connect to the ground from the bridge and the jack ground connects to those as well. i really appreciate you sticking with me!

• Members
24 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

yes, that's right, but where is the ground wires? I assume the wires are called 2 conductor wires, with an inner wire, the hot, and an outer wire, the ground. are the grounds connected to each other?

3 minutes ago, badpenguin said:

ok, there's no reason why it's not working then. it "might" be the way the switch is wired. Simply cut the wire connecting the two side together. If that doesn't work, I haven't a clue.

It didn't work. So maybe im not crazy? Do you recommend a switch i can order quickly to replace this one? Or any other suggestions? Thank you.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, keithglacier said:

Yes, how can I test it? Thanks!

clip the [+] lead to the center lugs [input side] of the switch and the [-] to the output side. If the switch reads the same switched on as it does switched off, it is defective.

Many of the low-end spdt/dpdt switches coming from China [and elsewhere] do not stand up well to soldering.

• Members
On 2/26/2021 at 9:26 PM, keithglacier said:

I have a green wire and silver wire from the seymour duncan pickup that go to ground, those all connect to the ground from the bridge and the jack ground connects to those as well. i really appreciate you sticking with me!

Hey, I am late to this party ... maybe I am repeating redundant information, but does this article help you at all?

https://www.electricherald.com/how-to-make-killswitch-for-guitar/

You should be able to connect the appropriate wires to the lugs, and then the ground(s) and hot to the output jack, and then  *finis*?

killswitch.JPG

• Members
On 3/2/2021 at 4:38 AM, daddymack said:

clip the [+] lead to the center lugs [input side] of the switch and the [-] to the output side. If the switch reads the same switched on as it does switched off, it is defective.

Many of the low-end spdt/dpdt switches coming from China [and elsewhere] do not stand up well to soldering.

I suspect this is probably what has happened. If you're new to guitar electronics and have had a few goes at that switch it might be fried. 

My brother does a lot of soldering and he often clips an alligator lead between the component and the actual solder joint which gives the heat somewhere else to go. 

Archived