4 way strat pickup selector switch

Stratoville

• Members

I’d like to replace my  5 way switch with a 4 way in my strat. I’ve never liked the hollow tone of the mid pickup by itself. I’d like to get this configuration— starting from neck,

NECK.     NECK/MID.     MID/BRIDGE.      BRIDGE.

Does anyone have a diagram on how to do this?

• Members

Why go to all the trouble of replacing the switch?  If you don’t like the middle pickup position simply don’t use it.

A more interesting option is a 3 way switch wired Tele style  Neck , Neck/Bridge,  Bridge.

Go with master tone / master volume and use the third pot as volume for the mid pickup to blend it with neck or bridge 

This will also give you all three pickups at once in addition to Neck /Bridge 

20A84771-4792-4956-AB7B-59CB2CAE9E24.thumb.jpeg.7c03084a47b9c07e9597e9f409285035.jpeg
note : the pots should all be grounded

• Moderators
14 hours ago, gardo said:

Why go to all the trouble of replacing the switch?  If you don’t like the middle pickup position simply don’t use it.

note : the pots should all be grounded[YES, THEY SHOULD!!!}

I'm with this as a first thought^...just skip over it...worst case, disconnect it from the lug...just jumper it to the #2 and #4 position and ...

1 hour ago, Mikeo said:

Take the standard 5 way switch and have 4 positions for your different tones. Make the last position a kill switch.:idk:

although I would make the #3 spot the kill switch, so you have a silent start at full volume if you need it, and can go mid/bridge or mid/neck from it.

or.... maybe he needs a more dynamic p-up in the mid slot...one that he will like the sound of...yes, this is the more expensive 'solution', but if you play a strat, you should take full advantage of its capabilities.

• Members
1 hour ago, daddymack said:

I'm with this as a first thought^...just skip over it...worst case, disconnect it from the lug...just jumper it to the #2 and #4 position and ...

although I would make the #3 spot the kill switch, so you have a silent start at full volume if you need it, and can go mid/bridge or mid/neck from it.

or.... maybe he needs a more dynamic p-up in the mid slot...one that he will like the sound of...yes, this is the more expensive 'solution', but if you play a strat, you should take full advantage of its capabilities.

I like the 5 settings. 

• Members

With a 6 position "super switch",  you could have those four selections, plus neck+mid in series and mid+bridge in series, and if the middle pickup is hum cancelling in parallel they'll still hum cancel in series. BUT the high output and meaty humbucker-type tone might be overwhelming.  And you could retain the strat's original style two tone control setup with a super switch. 

Archived