1-JBL SRX-728S sub vs. 2-Yamaha SW218-Vs

• Members

I see where I can purchase a single JBL SRX-728S sub for about the same price as 2 Yamaha SW218-V's.

I've had some limited experience with both of these subs and while I thought the JBLs kicked ass, I also found the Yammies to be solid workhorses. But is one JBL gonna give me more/better low end than two Yammies? What's the opinion here?

And further down the road, would I be better off with 2 JBLs or 4 Yamahas?

• Members

jbl. the yammies have little resale value and will not last as long imho

Little resale value you say, but I can't seem to find a used pair for sale anywhere! But more seriously, I agree with your points, but what about from a strictly performance/response standpoint? What is going to put out more solid low-end? 1 JBL or two Yammies?

Here's another related question: if I go with a single JBL sub, my obvious thought would be to place it in front/center of the stage between the two stacks of mains/subs I'm using now. But what about situations where we're not playing on a proper stage? Where is the best place to situate a single sub? Under/near one stack? Still put it center and have the band set up behind it?

• Members

Little resale value you say, but I can't seem to find a used pair for sale anywhere! But more seriously, I agree with your points, but what about from a strictly performance/response standpoint? What is going to put out more solid low-end? 1 JBL or two Yammies?

Here's another related question: if I go with a single JBL sub, my obvious thought would be to place it in front/center of the stage between the two stacks of mains/subs I'm using now. But what about situations where we're not playing on a proper stage? Where is the best place to situate a single sub? Under/near one stack? Still put it center and have the band set up behind it?

I too would rather have the one JBL, goes lower and should get a bit louder. Plus, if you need to add on in the future you already are on the path of quality product.

In the smaller venues where one sub is going to provide enough level, I don't find that placement really matters much. Where other things are in the room might impact placement more than coverage issues. I tend to put ours on the same side as the bass player more than I do centered.

Winston

• Members

the jbl's will take more power and have plywood cabs vs sawdust/glue cabs.

i own and use yammy speakers, i have no issue with them or anything but the jbls are better, you can sell them for more return, the cabs are lighter, have a better finish, are easier to move, will last longer etc.

its a no brainer for me between the two, but if i were you i might take a good long look at what peavey has to offer. some real good stuff in this dept by peavey.

• Members

In the smaller venues where one sub is going to provide enough level, I don't find that placement really matters much. Where other things are in the room might impact placement more than coverage issues. I tend to put ours on the same side as the bass player more than I do centered.

Thanks for that. I probably should have been a bit more detailed in the beginning: Right now we're using a pair of JBL PRX-512s over a pair of PRX-518 subs that are sufficient for smaller venues, but as my band is starting to book more and more bigger shows, I'm looking to add more FOH that I can bring along as-needed and not have to rent extra gear. Since I don't have the money to buy a big system all-at-once, I'm looking to add piece-by-piece and figured more subs was the best place to start. You guys are making me think the single JBL is the best way to start. Or are there other suggestions?

• Members

its a no brainer for me between the two, but if i were you i might take a good long look at what peavey has to offer. some real good stuff in this dept by peavey.

I've got a pair of single-18" Peavey subs with BW speakers inside (can't remember the exact model #---it's one that has been long out-of-production but it's rated at 500W continuous) that weigh about 120lbs each and never impressed me with their response or efficiency--the PRX 518s work much better, IMO. So my first thoughts didn't run towards Peavey. But I'm certainly open to suggestions. Which Peavey subs are you thinking of?

• Members
Right now we're using a pair of JBL PRX-512s over a pair of PRX-518 subs that are sufficient for smaller venues, but as my band is starting to book more and more bigger shows, I'm looking to add more FOH that I can bring along as-needed and not have to rent extra gear.

What's wrong with getting one or two more PRX-518 :)?

• Members

What's wrong with getting one or two more PRX-518
:)
?

In theory? Nothing. I'm just looking for the most bang-for-my-buck and am worried that even a 2nd pair of PRX 518s (which will run me about $2K) isn't going to give me enough low-end for bigger venues. The PRXs are great for what they are: compact and lightweight which is essential for a lot of gigs, but when we're playing a big room where I don't mind hauling around bigger gear, I'm thinking that I might get more out of my $2K to have a nice solid SRX sub with a decent power amp (QSC-2450) pushing it.

• Members
I'm thinking that I might get more out of my $2K to have a nice solid SRX sub with a decent power amp (QSC-2450) pushing it.

If you are talking about bridging that amp into a SRX728S that is really too much power. I suspect AgedHorse will be along shortly to weigh in on that ;). Four PRX518S's will be louder than a single SRX728 that is not overpowered (= short life).

• Members

I would not expect two Yamahas to outperform one JBL SRX-728. I would expect two Peavey SP 218s to though. Those are awesome club subs. If it's two against one, then yeah I would definitely expect it. I don't own them but I've heard them a couple of times and was very impressed.

I have nothing to back up my thoughts other than just hanging out in clubs too much though - lol. I'm much more a musician than a sound guy. So FWIW -

• Members

I've been using Peavey SP2's for several years for playing live. I also auditioned the Yamaha Club Series speakers at the same dealer that I tried the Yamahas. No contest. The Peaveys can handle a bit more power than the Yamahas. The Yamahas started to breakup before the Peaveys. The SP2's have Black Widow speakers. Peavey also makes a higher end speaker than the BW, but I'd have to look them up. I also own a set of OLD JBL cabinets and they sound better than the SP2's on the low end. Its not really a fair comparison though, the JBL cabinets I have are hardwood, the Peaveys are plywood. But the bottom line is, the JBLs have a better quality sound than the Peaveys. But the JBLS are more expensive than the Peaveys, so I'm not surprised.

If I were to rate these speakers I would rate JBL the best, Peavey, Good, Yamaha OK.

Get the JBL subs.

Mike T.

• Members

If you are talking about bridging that amp into a SRX728S that is really too much power. I suspect AgedHorse will be along shortly to weigh in on that
;)
. Four PRX518S's will be louder than a single SRX728 that is not overpowered (= short life).

No I wasn't talking about bridging the amp. Haven't had much luck with bridging amps over the years. If I go the SRX route my plan would be to use one side of the amp for now until I get a 2nd cab and then use the other side.

Four PRXs might be louder than a single SRX, but that's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about ADDING another sub or two to my existing pair of PRXs. Sorry if I haven't been detailed enough in my explanations. But thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. It's all greatly appreciated.

• Members

BTW four PRX subs will be more than twice as loud as two due to coupling. You could gain as much as 6db by adding a pair - and maybe another 3db on top of that if you can center cluster all four. Maybe if you're unsure next time you are playing a bigger club rent a couple and see if it does it for yah :)?

• Members
Looking up the Peavey subs---while the SP 218s can be had for about $750 a piece new, their QW 218 costs almost as much as the SRX! Is it really that good??

I suspect it is but the resale on the SRX will be better because it comes stock with that orange label ;).

• Members

If you are talking about bridging that amp into a SRX728S that is really too much power. I suspect AgedHorse will be along shortly to weigh in on that
;)
. Four PRX518S's will be louder than a single SRX728 that is not overpowered (= short life).

I disagree, 2400w is exactly 1.5 RMS of that cab, It's 1600w Continuous, right? So with some common sense & the limiters on, this should be fine I would think.

Todd A.

• Members

Maybe if you're unsure next time you are playing a bigger club rent a couple and see if it does it for yah
:)
?

That'd be nice if I could. Unfortunately, no one around here rents that stuff that I know of. So instead I'm trying to just get as much info as I can and make a buying decision I can be happy with!

• Members

what area do you live? nothing good on Craigslist? i buy premium speakers off of

Clist all the time...

Lake Tahoe NV. Puts me about an hour from Reno, 2 hrs from Sacramento, 3 hrs from San Francisco. I'd have to rent from Reno, and nobody there rents PRXs that I know of. As far as buying stuff goes, I can find good stuff on CL from time-to-time too. Theres somebody selling an SRX sub in Sac which is what got me started thinking about that sub. But not a whole lot else even in SF and I'm looking to get some stuff before our next 'big' gig in about 4 weeks.

• Members

I've got some 18" sub drivers looking for a home near Sac, If you have somebody who can build boxes, I have all the parameters and in fact I have some box plans that came from what these drivers were originally used for. I have at least 8 (maybe as many as a dozen) left. Similar to the Eminence Omega 18 pros.

I also have an assortment of 18" drivers looking for a home, maybe something close to a matching pair, and I have a pair of 218 cabinets similar to the Yamaha 218's with Eminence drivers (sell the pair only). All in or near Sac.

• Members

How come no one mentioned the PRX718? It seems like it would be the next step up for the OP. I myself am in the situation the OP was when he was originally buying and am trying to decide between one PRX718 ($1300) or two PRX518 ($1700). This is my first PA and I kind of feel like it would be worth it to just get the two PRX518 and be done with it for the next year. Eventually I can either move the PRX512 to monitor duty, upgrade to PRX718s, etc... but I will still have the smaller PRX518s and in the meantime create a really nice looking stage with the 512s over the 518s.

Archived