Guitar Volume Problems

abelincoln09

• Members

Howdy!

I just got a set of new Seymour Duncans put in my Epiphone Les Paul. But, now as soon as I turn up my volume knob on my guitar just a little, I get almost all the volume/distortion and then it just slowly moves up the rest of the way when I turn the volume up from there. When I had the stock epi pickups on, when I turned down the volume knob, I could get a clean tone if I wanted, now it's almost all distortion or nothing. Basically if the volume knob is on 2, distortion/volume is on like 8. Is this normal or is there something wrong like wiring was done incorrectly or the pickups don't match the pots or something? Thank you! 

• Moderators

Well it could be several things...

Did you install them, or did you have someone else do the install?

Were the pots changed when the p-ups were changed? It sounds like the pots are audio taper, not linear taper.

Do you know what the value of the pots are? For humbuckers, they should be 500k ohms.

Are the new p-ups humbuckers? Are they coil tapped?

• Members
3 hours ago, daddymack said:

Well it could be several things...

Did you install them, or did you have someone else do the install?

Were the pots changed when the p-ups were changed? It sounds like the pots are audio taper, not linear taper.

Do you know what the value of the pots are? For humbuckers, they should be 500k ohms.

Are the new p-ups humbuckers? Are they coil tapped?

I had someone else install them. It does make sense that they are audio taper. I'm pretty sure they are 500k, and they are coil tapped humbuckers. I guess I'll have to get linear taper pots. First time replacing pickups, didn't really think too much about the pots. Thanks for the reply 🙂

• Members
20 minutes ago, abelincoln09 said:

I had someone else install them. It does make sense that they are audio taper. I'm pretty sure they are 500k, and they are coil tapped humbuckers. I guess I'll have to get linear taper pots. First time replacing pickups, didn't really think too much about the pots. Thanks for the reply 🙂

Are you sure the pots were replaced? It's not something thats usually done on a simple pickup swap unless you ask for it.

You actually want audio taper.  Linear taper pots on volume controls don't give as smooth of a volume change through the sweep.

• Members
21 minutes ago, mrbrown49 said:

Are you sure the pots were replaced? It's not something thats usually done on a simple pickup swap unless you ask for it.

You actually want audio taper.  Linear taper pots on volume controls don't give as smooth of a volume change through the sweep.

No, they weren't replaced. Sorry, if I made it sound like they were replaced, I might have said something wrong. The problem I have with the pots I have now is that they don't really have a volume change at all, though after it goes from nothing to almost everything instantly. I've done some research on audio vs linear pots, and I'm just a bit confused on it. 

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, mrbrown49 said:

But it wasn't that way before the pickup swap?

Audio pots are typical for volume pots and linear are typical for tone pots.  

yes, but linear as volume pots wouldn't give him this issue, other problems, yes......I've had people bring me guitars with complaints about the pots  only to find whoever 'rewired' it switched the tone and volume pots by mistake...more than once...

I'm trying to figure out how you could wire them and get full output at 2...unless the pot was wired 'backward'? but even then, it shouldn't do what the OP is experiencing...it should not make any sound until the pot is on all the way ...

so, next questions...

which Seymour Duncan p-ups did you have installed?

They aren't 'active' are they?

are the pots push/pull to activate the coil tap?

or are there separate toggles?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, abelincoln09 said:

leave the pots for now...please answer the questions in the post ^

• Members
20 minutes ago, daddymack said:

yes, but linear as volume pots wouldn't give him this issue, other problems, yes......I've had people bring me guitars with complaints about the pots  only to find whoever 'rewired' it switched the tone and volume pots by mistake...more than once...

I'm trying to figure out how you could wire them and get full output at 2...unless the pot was wired 'backward'? but even then, it shouldn't do what the OP is experiencing...it should not make any sound until the pot is on all the way ...

so, next questions...

I agree. Very odd failure mode.  I suppose it's possible that the pots were overheated when soldering.  I've seen that happen, but usually the result is a scratchy pot, or dead spots in the sweep. Never seen heat damage change the sweep response. 

And I can't think of a way to wire then that would result in the behavior the op describes. 

Honestly though, just take it back to the guy. Any tech worth his salt should have a warranty on the work they do.  

• Members
8 hours ago, daddymack said:

so, next questions...

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. 

Saturday Night Special in the bridge, Pearly gates in the neck. 

They are passive. 

They are push/pull to activate the tap. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, mrbrown49 said:

I agree. Very odd failure mode.  I suppose it's possible that the pots were overheated when soldering.  I've seen that happen, but usually the result is a scratchy pot, or dead spots in the sweep. Never seen heat damage change the sweep response. 

And I can't think of a way to wire then that would result in the behavior the op describes. 

Honestly though, just take it back to the guy. Any tech worth his salt should have a warranty on the work they do.  

totally concur, I don't know of a logical way this outcome would occur.  I thought about 'cooked' pots at first, but as you noted, the outcome would have most likely have been dead spots, not an altered taper. Reversal of the pot would have altered the sweep, but not to this extent.

Based on the last set of responses, yes, take it back, demo the issue to the install tech and tell him to correct it.

It is virtually impossible to diagnose this kind of anomaly without being able to eyeball/trace/test the wiring, and with coil taps and push/pull pots, just a tad more complicated...

good choices on the p-ups, btw, I do particularly like the PG in the neck position...

• Members
42 minutes ago, daddymack said:

totally concur, I don't know of a logical way this outcome would occur.  I thought about 'cooked' pots at first, but as you noted, the outcome would have most likely have been dead spots, not an altered taper. Reversal of the pot would have altered the sweep, but not to this extent.

Based on the last set of responses, yes, take it back, demo the issue to the install tech and tell him to correct it.

It is virtually impossible to diagnose this kind of anomaly without being able to eyeball/trace/test the wiring, and with coil taps and push/pull pots, just a tad more complicated...

good choices on the p-ups, btw, I do particularly like the PG in the neck position...

Ok, thanks again. I will take it back. 

• Members
On 5/16/2020 at 10:21 AM, daddymack said:

please let us know the actual cause when this gets corrected!

I took my guitar back today. The tech told me the weird taper was probably just because the pickups have a higher output compared to the stock Epiphones. He said the pots may be a little weird and they're not too sure about them because Epiphone only put some code on them they don't know anything about and that replacing them with more traditional pots could help bring a more normal taper. He also did say that they are probably audio taper which is more than than linear taper like you guys said. That's about it other than he dusted out the cavity with the pots because they somehow missed some dust which was causing some muddyness. 

• Members
59 minutes ago, abelincoln09 said:

I took my guitar back today. The tech told me the weird taper was probably just because the pickups have a higher output compared to the stock Epiphones. He said the pots may be a little weird and they're not too sure about them because Epiphone only put some code on them they don't know anything about and that replacing them with more traditional pots could help bring a more normal taper. He also did say that they are probably audio taper which is more than than linear taper like you guys said. That's about it other than he dusted out the cavity with the pots because they somehow missed some dust which was causing some muddyness. 

They told you dust in the cavity was causing a muddy sound?  Take it to someone else. They sound like snake oil salesmen.

• Members
5 minutes ago, mrbrown49 said:

They told you dust in the cavity was causing a muddy sound?  Take it to someone else. They sound like snake oil salesmen.

Ok, hold on... sorry, I worded that horribly... That's not what they said, and the sound wasn't even muddy to begin with anyway, so I'm not too sure what I was talking about. They accidentally left some dust in their and dusted it out. I didn't mean for that part to be a big deal. 🙂

• Members
On 5/18/2020 at 6:40 PM, mrbrown49 said:

If you turn the Reverb up to high the 'wet' sound can combine with the dust in the cavity to create 'mud.' 😀

But, seriously, it sounds like a wiring error occurred during the pickup replacement. The Volume pot, in a standard guitar circuit, functions as a voltage divider. For the voltage divider to function properly as intended, the circuit must be properly grounded. Even a simple mistake, like soldering a wire to the incorrect lug of a pot, can compromise proper grounding. Also, check to see if the wires going to the output jack might have been reversed.

Archived