What Chu working on with this COVID Forced BS

• Members

Hey all,

So, what's the scoop? What are you all doing with your time here. As crappy as it is, it is a perfect time to work on something new, or really dig down hard on something.

For me I have been working on my precision with picking and working with faster tempos. Lots of metronome work. I am also doing Frank Gambale's Chopbuilders workout - which is awesome for maintaining technique. I have also been drilling down a bit harder on the H/W diminished scale. I have always wanted a deeper, second nature style understanding of it as I love the whole Robben Ford trip. So that has been on the docket.

You?

• Members
19 hours ago, Mark Wein said:

Rebuilding my picking technique.  I realized that this is a good time to reinvent myself a bit.

Funny that is exactly my issue right now too. It's always picking with me. Mind you I am a Left Handed person - playing a right handed guitar. So my weak hand is the picking hand. Explains some of it I am sure.

On 5/8/2020 at 8:23 AM, jeremy_green said:

Funny that is exactly my issue right now too. It's always picking with me. Mind you I am a Left Handed person - playing a right handed guitar. So my weak hand is the picking hand. Explains some of it I am sure.

I've always struggled with this.  I feel like it's taken my 35 years to finally get some where with this stuff.

• Members

I've spent a fair bit of time with my funk rhythm playing (inspired by Vulfpeck!) and as usual, I find that it really improves other aspects of my playing, particularly fast alternate picking. I'd highly recommend practising this style to any guitar player regardless of genre. 

• Members
On 5/9/2020 at 2:42 PM, TrickyBoy said:

I've been finally really learning solos that I've been covering for years.  Figure might as well learn to play them correctly.  Been on the "that's good enough" train for a long time!

It's funny you know, a long while back when I had kids and took a long break from playing. When I came back to it, I was trying to recapture the love, so what I decided to do was go back to my roots and relearn all the songs from my childhood - except note perfect this time. At the time I was into Ozzy and Sabbath but I didnt have the skies to really nail the faster stuff (especially the Roads stuff!). So it was a crap ton of fun to do it. Before long I was happily back at it but more excited than ever.

Going back to the basics is a really good thing to do. It's amazing what you may have missed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
1 hour ago, Jasco said:

And to answer the original question - I'm working on learning some Wes Montgomery solos as well as writing tunes.

Love Wes man, he's amazing. So many great lines, so little time lol. I went on a Grant Green trip for a bit. That was pretty enlightening and really made me realize how generally terrible I am at jazz!

• Members

Every once in a while, I feel like my practice routine is in free-fall. When this happens, I try to develop some sort of system, to make sure I am checking all the boxes. Problem is - I also hate being stuck inside a routine. So this week, I tried something new - with some nice progress.

I did exactly what I said above "checking all the boxes". I took a piece of paper and wrote down a bunch of the items I wanted to catch up on - or at least things I felt I should incorporate in my weekly practice. Here is what I built:

IMG_1717.jpg

So each vertical column represents one practice day. When I practice, as I get bored of whatever I am doing - I check it off and pick something else. Check it off and on I go. When I run out of columns I will draw up a new sheet and start all over again adjusting as I go. It has created some nice momentum for me and I am feeling more balanced in my practice. If you are floating, give this a try. When you are feeling dry, a systematic approach can be just the ticket.

On 5/20/2020 at 8:09 AM, jeremy_green said:

Every once in a while, I feel like my practice routine is in free-fall. When this happens, I try to develop some sort of system, to make sure I am checking all the boxes. Problem is - I also hate being stuck inside a routine. So this week, I tried something new - with some nice progress.

I did exactly what I said above "checking all the boxes". I took a piece of paper and wrote down a bunch of the items I wanted to catch up on - or at least things I felt I should incorporate in my weekly practice. Here is what I built:

zI5bw7pqUMDQD-0vJD_SNKRrE0VBejRbulr0TwGy

So each vertical column represents one practice day. When I practice, as I get bored of whatever I am doing - I check it off and pick something else. Check it off and on I go. When I run out of columns I will draw up a new sheet and start all over again adjusting as I go. It has created some nice momentum for me and I am feeling more balanced in my practice. If you are floating, give this a try. When you are feeling dry, a systematic approach can be just the ticket.

The pictures aren't showing :(

I'm still working on Tony Rice ("Your Love i Like a Flower", "Jerusalem's Ridge" and "Red Haired Boy") and reviewing some jazz standards since I haven't been playing much jazz and the tunes start to fade a bit for me.  I am adding "But Beautiful" this week though.

• 2 months later...

Archived