Boss BD-2 Blues Driver

mbengs1

• Members

I bought this pedal hoping it would inspire me to write punk/70's style rock music but I find it has a bit of scooped mids instead of a midrange bump to make it sound boxy. But I really thought i'd get a jimmy page type of lead sound instead of like a Hendrix strong mids fuzz tone. What pedal will give me the tone i'm looking for. But the BD-2 sounds great. It's a fuzzy distortion that kicks in the mids. but the mids are not that strong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you want a mid-range hump, try a tubescreamer or clone. The BD2 should be a relatively balanced OD, and for the punk thing keep the gain modest and back off the bass tone a bit.

If you want to know more about overdrives then check out That Pedal Show on Youtube - Dan and Mick cover overdrives in quite some detail.

• Members
12 hours ago, Ancient Mariner said:

If you want a mid-range hump, try a tubescreamer or clone. The BD2 should be a relatively balanced OD, and for the punk thing keep the gain modest and back off the bass tone a bit.

If you want to know more about overdrives then check out That Pedal Show on Youtube - Dan and Mick cover overdrives in quite some detail.

I have tubescreamer clone, the maxon od808. It has the sound but still not strong in the mids as i'd like. I was thinking more of led zep's lemon song or houses of the holy. I like more honking mids with more gain. 

• Members
On 3/8/2020 at 9:23 AM, mbengs1 said:

I have tubescreamer clone, the maxon od808. It has the sound but still not strong in the mids as i'd like. I was thinking more of led zep's lemon song or houses of the holy. I like more honking mids with more gain. 

Maybe you need an EQ pedal?

Might be worth a look here:

• Moderators

Bengs, the sound you want comes from a small tube amp, cranked to the max, close mic'd in a small, tiled bathroom. Many little metal boxes get close, but to get that particular sound, the Klon Centaur, [now made of unobtainium], is the perfect box...

But here's a thought...rather than trying to copy other people's sounds from decades ago, why not pioneer your own sound?:wave:

• Members
On 3/12/2020 at 10:02 AM, daddymack said:

Bengs, the sound you want comes from a small tube amp, cranked to the max, close mic'd in a small, tiled bathroom. Many little metal boxes get close, but to get that particular sound, the Klon Centaur, [now made of unobtainium], is the perfect box...

But here's a thought...rather than trying to copy other people's sounds from decades ago, why not pioneer your own sound?:wave:

I think I know what I will do. just take an overdrive and boost the bass and mids with an eq pedal. that should nail the tone. but I have found a sound that is good enough that is derivative of the 70's punk sound. 

• Members

You could simply get one of these and get what you need. Its got a built in EQ that lets you shape the tone and its got Overdrive or distortion so you don't need 3 pedals to do what one can.  you can find these used on eBay for less then $50 too.  Very well made, all metal knobs and cases, and they are true bypass. 

The first knob is overdrive and distortion. Second is drive and volume, third are treble and bass, the forth is called contour but its essentially a midrange that can be added of subtracted or shifted in frequency so you can get just about anything you need. 

What I like about the Marshall pedals is the preamp and tone give you a string touch which is identical to their amps which means you can play fast and with a light touch without getting bogged down in tone suck as many pedals do. Bypassing removes it from the chain completely since its true bypass. 

cac.JPG.2fbef6c2c77a047f7dd218393cebb5ae.JPG

Archived